• Feb 19th, 2009 4:05 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 2, 2008
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

STAPLES new return policy on software??

Just got a QuickTax software at Staples, the cashier said that they don't allow return on non-defective software even if it hasn't been opened. She said it's a new policy.

Although when I looked on the back of the receipt - it only said 'We do not accept returns or offer refunds on non-defective titles that have been opened'

Not that I'm planning to return it, but just wondering if this 'new policy' is legit...any idea?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1276 posts
38 upvotes
Langley
I doubt it is true and even if it was you would have a legitimate argument since the back of this invoice says that you can return it within 30 days unless it is opened.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1014 posts
5 upvotes
I've never heard that. The back of the receipt is right on the money.
If anyone gives you any guff about returning it - just point to that (and the big sign at customer service)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
3612 posts
513 upvotes
BC
I'm guessing whatever the policy is when you purchased it is likely what they have to honor.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
From the website...
Re: software..."We do not accept returns or offer refunds on non-defective titles that have been opened."
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/static ... cy_returns
That implies that they DO accept returns/offer refunds for "unopened", no?
How does a verbal override the website or the back of a receipt, unless they have a sign.

Do they think some people use the keys then have the product professionally shrink-wrapped for return? :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2795 posts
223 upvotes
Hamilton
not all software is shrink wrapped fyi. Alot of the boxed software just has a ****** plastic "seal" on the box and just an envelope cd inside.
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
77 upvotes
YYZ Pebbles wrote:
Feb 13th, 2009 2:47 am

Although when I looked on the back of the receipt - it only said 'We do not accept returns or offer refunds on non-defective titles that have been opened'

Not that I'm planning to return it, but just wondering if this 'new policy' is legit...any idea?
No idea if this is legit but they implemented this policy in Jan 2008 I believe. I worked there and it was a complete crock.
Yes, unopened software could not be returned. I have no idea and I actually sat down with my manager to ask why we did this. He had no real explaination just said we had to do it and said that some software (like Norton) had access codes on the outside. I said that anyone could just come into the store and take them then. He didn't really like that comment :lol:

In turn I returned plenty of unopened software. If it's opened it's a different story but I would just continue to hassel them or find an associate who has brains enough to do it for you.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9477 posts
682 upvotes
YYZ Pebbles wrote:
Feb 13th, 2009 2:47 am
Just got a QuickTax software at Staples, the cashier said that they don't allow return on non-defective software even if it hasn't been opened. She said it's a new policy.

Sounds like their new policy BUT if the back states otherwise, you can argue to return it and if you (are crazy enough) to take this to a small claims court, you will win because Staples did not update their policy on your receipt/invoice. If they did, then its another story.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37875 posts
822 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GVRtrader wrote:
Feb 19th, 2009 8:54 pm
Sounds like their new policy BUT if the back states otherwise, you can argue to return it and if you (are crazy enough) to take this to a small claims court, you will win because Staples did not update their policy on your receipt/invoice. If they did, then its another story.
+1

The receipt is the actual contract. What the manager or employee says is m00t.
× < >