• Nov 29th, 2011 10:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 6, 2011
67 posts
26 upvotes

Staples online - Beware!

Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a situation with Staples and I don't know how to proceed. I don't know if I should involve BB or my credit card or what to do. I was wondering if I could get some opinions.

Two weeks ago I purchased a laptop and a wireless router from staples.ca. Three days later the order came. I wasn't home at the time, however my wife was. She signed for it not even knowing what I had ordered.
When I got home I saw the big Staples box, went to open it and I found only the wireless router inside. No laptop anywhere. So I check the pink copy of the involve and it says the laptop shipped and is supposed to be on that box.
I called Staples immediately to figure out what's going on. They said they need to check with their warehouse to do a laptop count. It should take at most 48hrs.
It is now 10 days later, I keep calling every day and all they can tell me is that the warehouse is checking into it.

Right now I'm out a laptop, $400 and lost productivity. I really don't know what to do. What if the Staples delivery man stole the laptop? I did notice the staples box was double taped.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thank you!
7 replies
Oct 2, 2010
430 posts
173 upvotes
Next time you phone them, tell them you're doing a charge back with your CC (would need to return router) if they don't refund you or send a laptop.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6167 posts
808 upvotes
Charge back might be impossible since goods are showing as having being delivered with a signature.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14950 posts
7315 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rrafig wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2011 10:53 pm
I called Staples immediately to figure out what's going on. They said they need to check with their warehouse to do a laptop count. It should take at most 48hrs.
It is now 10 days later, I keep calling every day and all they can tell me is that the warehouse is checking into it.
What's the warehouse got to do with this and why should that matter to you? That's a BS answer. It's not your concern if the unit left the warehouse, was stolen en route or whatever. You didn't get what was supposed to be in the box. Since Staples does its own deliveries, somewhere along the line, while the box was in their custody, the notebook went AWOL. That's all that matters.
I did notice the staples box was double taped.
I hope you still have the carton and it's still obviously double-taped. Don't ship the router or anything else back in it. It's evidence and it will help make your case.

I'd get on the phone to Staples HQ and escalate.

They're at:
6 Staples Avenue
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 4W3
phone: (905) 737-1147

Call that number and ask to speak to Steve Matyas, the CEO. You'll be connected to one of his administrative assistants. Explain the situation to them. Don't try to guess what happened or speculate that "the Staples delivery man stole the laptop." Stick to the facts. You ordered the notebook. It wasn't in the box. The invoice says it was. You noticed two layers of tape. Tell them you were told about a warehouse count but they haven't got back to you despite repeated calls, etc. (In passing ask why the warehouse count should be any of your concern. But be polite about it.) Tell them you're prepared to swear under oath that you didn't get the notebook. Ask them for their help in resolving this.

Keep a detailed log of who you spoke with, when you spoke, what they promised, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Mar 6, 2011
67 posts
26 upvotes
Just an update:

A staples manager got a hold of me and said because the warehouse is taking so long to get back to them they are just going to re-ship the order no questions asked.
They said the order should be ready to be picked up tonight at a store close to me. I'm crossing my fingers the laptop is actually in there this time.

I'll update this thread if there are any surprises along the line.

Thanks!
[OP]
Mar 6, 2011
67 posts
26 upvotes
Another update:

Went to pickup the laptop after 5pm as instructed by the call centre and the laptop is nowhere to be found.
Store manager said the delivery didn't even come.
Damn this staples!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1264 posts
477 upvotes
London
u should just tell them to foget it and get ur money back and take your money else where. or at the least tell them u want a discount on the thing for all the hassle there putting you though.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2011
67 posts
26 upvotes
Called again to complain. They don't know where the delivery is. It's not at the store, they have no way of tracking it. The customer service talked to a store manager and he let me get the laptop from their stock. They'll just replace it once my package shows up (if it ever does).

The store manager was nice and has a lot people are complaining about Staples online. She also said the staples delivery guys are notorious for stealing laptops from deliveries (WTF!).

Anyways, I won't be buying from staples online EVER again! I might consider going to a store if they have a good price, but online... NEVER again