Shopping Discussion

Staples original retail price for open box?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2015 7:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1758 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto

Staples original retail price for open box?

So I was just at a local staples today and the case I was looking to get was opened(the sealed tapes were cut). So I proceeded to speak with their employee/supervisor and was told that if it was returned product it would have the sticker saying so but I still questioned and he said it was an employee who opened it. So I'm wondering if it's not considered returned or damaged, is it considered open box product? If so, would it still sell for retail price and why?

I tried calling the Canadian staples # but only monday-friday and today until 5pm which is too late. I would like to go back to that store to buy it if it's considered open box and cheaper.

Any advice?
22 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1086 upvotes
If you don't want to buy the item at the price they are offering don't buy it then.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1870 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
I had the same experience with a printer at a Staples store that was opened previously and they had re sealed it. I asked if there is a discount but there was none but they would warranty it like it was new.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1758 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
JoeStale wrote:
Feb 14th, 2015 8:50 pm
I had the same experience with a printer at a Staples store that was opened previously and they had re sealed it. I asked if there is a discount but there was none.
damn it's like that eh, did you ask to speak with the supervisor?

This local staples had 2 of the cases that were opened ...
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1870 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
bucklemyshoe wrote:
Feb 14th, 2015 8:52 pm
damn it's like that eh, did you ask to speak with the supervisor?

This local staples had 2 of the cases that were opened ...
No, the cashier said that they would deal with it like it was new if I had a problem.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18500 posts
3146 upvotes
GTA West
This is why I advocate a restocking fee for opened items.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16173 posts
3933 upvotes
Toronto
Could just be an open box rather than a returned item. If the item was returned they would have put an open box sticker on it. They don't have to give you any discount for that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1758 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
if we're buying a product that is brand new, i would expect that ***** to be sealed. Idc what staples say so otherwise because you won't be able to tell the difference from used or just 'opened' by employees. Where can you find legitimate proof of this? How much trust can you give to a company yet alone their employees who even cares less about the job itself
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1609 posts
499 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
Ojam wrote:
Feb 14th, 2015 8:21 pm
If you don't want to buy the item at the price they are offering don't buy it then.
Agreed.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45150 posts
3659 upvotes
Toronto
bucklemyshoe wrote:
Feb 14th, 2015 10:31 pm
if we're buying a product that is brand new, i would expect that ***** to be sealed. Idc what staples say so otherwise because you won't be able to tell the difference from used or just 'opened' by employees. Where can you find legitimate proof of this? How much trust can you give to a company yet alone their employees who even cares less about the job itself
Yes so why do you try on giving them your money? They clearly do not want your money.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16173 posts
3933 upvotes
Toronto
Probably someone opened the case to take a look at it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11324 posts
1220 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I would take a mint condition item in an open box versus a damaged item in a sealed box.

Come on, it's a case. If it were food, then yeah, an open package might be worrying.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 3:45 am
Yes so why do you try on giving them your money? They clearly do not want your money.
+1 I've taken the same message from Staples which is why I haven't bought anything from them in years.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1758 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
NG wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 11:08 am
+1 I've taken the same message from Staples which is why I haven't bought anything from them in years.
because staples is the only company that has the OEM black case for my tablet : (
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2490 posts
1479 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
bucklemyshoe wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 12:26 pm
because staples is the only company that has the OEM black case for my tablet : (
Let me get this straight. Your OP was about this black case? A black case with (presumably) no moving parts and no electronics? You're kidding, right?

Someone likely opened the packet to see if it would fit on their tablet and put it back on the shelf. A rubber or plastic case does not warrant an "open box" discount unless it's clearly used or otherwise marked up (as a result of being a demo model, for example).
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.