Shopping Discussion

Staples original retail price for open box?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2015 7:11 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 1:13 pm
Let me get this straight. Your OP was about this black case? A black case with (presumably) no moving parts and no electronics? You're kidding, right?

Someone likely opened the packet to see if it would fit on their tablet and put it back on the shelf. A rubber or plastic case does not warrant an "open box" discount unless it's clearly used or otherwise marked up (as a result of being a demo model, for example).
Umm...for once we agree (did the sky fall?)

OP: I'm sure Amazon.com or somebody online carries the case. It may be better for everyone if you buy it there.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2013
1758 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
the exchange rate is bad atm, not willing to deal with USD prices
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
404 upvotes
Lots of customers open packages to look at an item, decide that yes, it is the item that they want, and then put back the package that they just opened and take an un-opened package. Retailers should have a "You Open It - You Buy It" policy.
May 28, 2012
10105 posts
2276 upvotes
Saskatoon
If it's not an electronic or consumable item, I don't see what's the issue with an open box. When I buy items, I do try to buy the one with an intact box, but if it's the last one, I will buy if needed. There's no harm in asking for a discount, but you really shouldn't expect it for such items.
Feb 14, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
I remember thesource.ca used to have open box sales online. Bought a few item at 70% off regular price. The items are like brand new. So if you could negotiate a substantial discount, go get open box items.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3124 posts
636 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
It has to be this way. Otherwise people will just grab an item off the shelf, tear it open on the way to the checkout, and demand X% off for it being open.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Tried to call HQ to?
Amazing wat some ppl will do to get few bucks off from a freaking case...
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
masche wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 5:32 pm
A lot of people don't want to pay full price for an open box ipad and it made selling things much more difficult.
Buying an open box iPad (or any tablet/computer thing) is a lot different than buying a case. I wouldn't buy one without a discount either unless it was already an exceptional sale price and it was the last one left.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812