Hot Deals

[Staples] Staples.ca: HP Envy 5540 All-in-One Printer - 39.91$...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 6:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2004
7746 posts
41234 upvotes
Montreal

[Staples] Staples.ca: HP Envy 5540 All-in-One Printer - 39.91$...

Hi there,

I picked up one for the scanner function. *lol*
http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Envy-5540-A ... CA_1_20001

It is a special buy, so limited quantities...

To compare...

Costco got the 4522 model for 50$ (in-stores) and Staples got the 4520 for 50$, too...
http://www.staples.ca/en/HP-Envy-4520-A ... ai-feo=off
https://www.costco.ca/HP-Envy-4522-e-Al ... 30050.html

What I can figure out is this model have a photo tray...

Ju Leon...
39 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4457 posts
459 upvotes
I got this last time it was for sale. I only use it like once a month but so far so good.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1696 posts
829 upvotes
Richmond
It's pretty cheap for a scanner and very-light-duty printer for home use. Tiny expensive ink cartridges, and probably comes with near-empty "starter" cartridges like most HP printers. "Dynamic Security Enabled Printer: ink cartridge authentication system ensures quality of customer experience through use of original HP cartridges with security chips. Cartridges using a non-HP chip may not work"

Strangely Staples only mentions USB connection, but all other sources say that this model is wireless too.
May 4, 2003
122 posts
3 upvotes
Quispamsis,NB
How do i get free shipping on this?
Feb 13, 2015
44 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
braket wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 7:07 pm
How do i get free shipping on this?
Free shipping only on items $45+. You would have to add a filler item of $5.09
or
Ship to your nearest store
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1291 posts
203 upvotes
Belle River
baz5 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:07 pm
How often do you get cartridges? Cancel in three months?
I don't know the exact details like possible maximum limits, but if I understand the general idea the software/printer automatically orders the cartridges, so unless you actually use them up you won't get any.
Nov 28, 2011
493 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
baz5 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 11:07 pm
How often do you get cartridges? Cancel in three months?
hystavito wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:16 am
I don't know the exact details like possible maximum limits, but if I understand the general idea the software/printer automatically orders the cartridges, so unless you actually use them up you won't get any.
Yeah, your printer automatically orders cartridges for you once you hit a threshold. That way you never run out of ink. You don't pay for the actual cartridges though. It's a flat rate of $3.99/$5.99/$10.99 a month.

You're not paying for the ink you're using, but instead, for the ability to print a predetermined number of pages (50/100/300 pages a month). You can roll over unused paged month to month.

No contracts (You can cancel whenever). Whichever cartridges you received from the program will stop working once you cancel (like Spotify). It's important that your printer maintains an Internet connection (i think it can be through your computer as well) so it can authenticate your subscription.

Also, no fees to step up/cancel/step down. I think you receive the first set of cartridges within a week of signing up, but you'll have to pay for the first month (and then receive the subsequent 3 months free).

Interesting to note: the Instant Ink billing cycle doesn't start until you put in the instant ink cartridges. Technically, if you sign up today, you pay the $3.99/5.99/$10.99, then when/if you run out of the starter cartridges in 2/3 months, you start your first paid month, then 3 free months, and then you get billed month-to-month.

Hope this helps. It's a pretty inexpensive program aimed at addressing the stupid expensive cartridge $$... Added yearly, the program starts at $48... That's about the cost of a pair of XL black and standard tricolor ink cartridges.
Mar 10, 2009
437 posts
135 upvotes
Nice. I wanted a scanner, this fits the bill. Instant Ink is a nice bonus.
Apr 18, 2017
339 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
i have this one and it worked pretty well for 2 years now. inks are expensive though and we use it very lightly to justify doing the monthly thing. buying a new printer for this price is cheaper than buying the ink for it. :P
Banned
Apr 16, 2017
31 posts
4 upvotes
I was very disappointed to find that it does not accommodate legal size paper. My bad I guess for not reading the fine print before buying. Aside from that, it does the job.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
1696 posts
829 upvotes
Richmond
Thatdealguy wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 3:33 am
http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/p-352884 ... high-yield
ink : $31 for 2
That's the HP 63 cartridges, not the HP 62 cartridges specified for this printer. They look the same, so the difference may be only in the chip, but it's unclear whether you can substitute them for this printer. HP says no, but they might be lying. It might depend on the printer's DRM version. You can get "remanufactured" HP 62XL cartridges from 123InkCartridges for $65: http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/p-349569 ... high-yield

A common issue with 3rd-party ink cartridges for all brands is that the printer may under-estimate the remaining ink capacity by as much as 40%, based on average usage and the expected amount of ink in the original cartridges. The replacement cartridge may advertise higher page capacity, and it may in fact contain more ink, but the printer may not let you use it if it won't allow you to override the "low ink" warning. See http://www.pcworld.com/article/152953/p ... costs.html

Instructions to disable "HP original" ink cartridge enforcement: http://www.rjettek.com/blog/new-hp-envy ... artridges/
You must do this before you sign up for HP's Instant Ink program. Don't know if it still works or not - HP is constantly changing drivers and firmware to enforce cartridge DRM.
Last edited by Faith24 on Apr 20th, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4457 posts
459 upvotes
bluegang6 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:28 am
Yeah, your printer automatically orders cartridges for you once you hit a threshold. That way you never run out of ink. You don't pay for the actual cartridges though. It's a flat rate of $3.99/$5.99/$10.99 a month.

You're not paying for the ink you're using, but instead, for the ability to print a predetermined number of pages (50/100/300 pages a month). You can roll over unused paged month to month.

No contracts (You can cancel whenever). Whichever cartridges you received from the program will stop working once you cancel (like Spotify). It's important that your printer maintains an Internet connection (i think it can be through your computer as well) so it can authenticate your subscription.

Also, no fees to step up/cancel/step down. I think you receive the first set of cartridges within a week of signing up, but you'll have to pay for the first month (and then receive the subsequent 3 months free).

Interesting to note: the Instant Ink billing cycle doesn't start until you put in the instant ink cartridges. Technically, if you sign up today, you pay the $3.99/5.99/$10.99, then when/if you run out of the starter cartridges in 2/3 months, you start your first paid month, then 3 free months, and then you get billed month-to-month.

Hope this helps. It's a pretty inexpensive program aimed at addressing the stupid expensive cartridge $$... Added yearly, the program starts at $48... That's about the cost of a pair of XL black and standard tricolor ink cartridges.
Thanks. I probably only use the printer once or twice per month, a couple sheets here and there. Even with the program being cheap it's probably not worth it for me.