Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 6, 2010
27 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby

[Staples] Staples: SteelSeries Kana Optical Mouse, White $29.99

Saw this at my local Staples today. I'm not sure how people feel about this mice, but with people jumping the Razer ship left right and centre, I figured this can't be too bad of an alternative. Generally positive reviews. Ambidextrous can be good or bad depending how you look at it...

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_s ... eries+kana
20 replies
Aug 25, 2010
520 posts
99 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 2:52 am
I never knew Staples had Steelseries products..
My go to destination If I ever want a Steelseries product, Coupons ftw!
Is there a coupon right now that can be used with this? I mean the price is already pretty low.
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
The Kana is a great mouse. Omnidextrous design 5 buttons and wheel, 1MHz polling and switchable settings of 400-3200DPI and the right amount of heft. the white version (I have) is slick. Only problem so far you need to install the Steelseries drives as it won't respond after lock, sleep, screensaver etc. when using the standard windows driver and you would've to replug it everytime you lock your screen...
other than that great mouse and for $30 well worth it IMHO
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Aug 25, 2010
520 posts
99 upvotes
pompoco wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 10:40 pm
The Kana is a great mouse. Omnidextrous design 5 buttons and wheel, 1MHz polling and switchable settings of 400-3200DPI and the right amount of heft. the white version (I have) is slick. Only problem so far you need to install the Steelseries drives as it won't respond after lock, sleep, screensaver etc. when using the standard windows driver and you would've to replug it everytime you lock your screen...
other than that great mouse and for $30 well worth it IMHO
Same. I have the diablo branded version (I do prefer the rubberized texture, too) and it's quite nice. I just don't like the software, it takes up a lot of RAM for doing next to nothing.
Sep 27, 2004
635 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
I will never buy a mouse that requires its own drm software to run just to use it. Supporting this is ridiculous. Soon all of your peripherals will need its own software running and connected to the internet to function or else it becomes useless. What if a server went down?
Mar 18, 2005
287 posts
76 upvotes
It probably works without, you'd just need the software to customize settings and junk I'm guessing.
Dec 12, 2003
667 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
I have this mouse. You don't need to be connected to the Internet to use it.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
s7r1k3r wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 1:05 am
I will never buy a mouse that requires its own drm software to run just to use it. Supporting this is ridiculous. Soon all of your peripherals will need its own software running and connected to the internet to function or else it becomes useless. What if a server went down?
Wrong company, that's Razer with the cloud software garbage, not Steelseries. The backlash likely will prevent Steelseries from ever doing the same.

The software you install is just a driver.
Sep 1, 2012
244 posts
21 upvotes
Can someone briefly explain to me what is so good about this mouse? I'm in the market for a new one for my laptop right now. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Looking to spend no more that $40 all-in.
May 25, 2009
276 posts
70 upvotes
unionville
humblepotato wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:19 pm
Can someone briefly explain to me what is so good about this mouse? I'm in the market for a new one for my laptop right now. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Looking to spend no more that $40 all-in.
I'm in the exact same position. I've had an MX-510 for the past 6 years, but the right click on it is starting to go, I'm in the market for a mouse but I have no idea what to look for.
ye.
Dec 12, 2003
667 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
It's super-lightweight, ambidextrous, stays clean looking since it's white glossy, cutomizable software, known brand and gaming-ready. For only $30.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
2700 posts
84 upvotes
Thanks. May grab one as a backup since my razer is getting old now
Aug 25, 2010
520 posts
99 upvotes
.EE. wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 1:57 pm
It's super-lightweight, ambidextrous, stays clean looking since it's white glossy, cutomizable software, known brand and gaming-ready. For only $30.
I'll just add that the feet of the mouse are very slick and higher quality, they won't wear as quick as normal mice. Also I think there's a 3200DPI sensor in this one which is good, though 800DPI is plenty for desktop use an the DPI can be configured in software.
× < >