• Aug 17th, 2012 3:17 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes

Staples and "in store set up" computers

Hey guys. So today I wanted to buy a laptop. There was a good sale on two computers at Staples so I decided to buy. Called in to check store stock, and went to THREE Staples and in all three they tried to sell me their "in store set up" package (where they "install" Windows and Norton, and to other frivolous things). When I said no, they went to the back room and came back and said "sorry, we only have computers in those models that have already been set up".. WTF..

The 4th store thankfully had factory sealed laptops. Even in that store, the guy disappeared for a good 10 minutes, before coming back with the laptop. It "looks" sealed, but we'll see when I start it up.

Is this "in store set up" thing a scam where they install the packages on returned/refurb computers in some cases? Well, if there is anything off about the computer guess I will return it. Say what you said about FS and BB, but returning stuff is pretty easy with them. Haven't had to do it with Staples yet. Anything I should be careful of?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
Pretty much all they do for their "setup fees" crap is to make a set of recovery disks & do a windows update so yes it is a ripoff.
vero95: :facepalm:
Aug 6, 2011
122 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not surprised that Staples is trying to sell you the floor/demo model, however if the computer you're purchasing it on clearance or heavily discounted it might be really the only models Staples has left. Usually I call ahead to see which stores have the item in stock before making a trip to the store. Anyways, if I remember correctly, all models of the computer should have a unique serial code or model code attached to the specific computer that is unique only to the computer itself, check to make sure if it matches the box serial code; however I'm not 100% sure if it applies to all manufacturers.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
DO NOT pay for any setup fees. It is something you can do on your own even if you have the slightest idea about computers. It just involves clicking 'next' a few times and waiting the rest...

With staples specifically the stores have been instructed by head office that if a customer does not want a setup and the only units left in the store are setup, then the store must sell to the customer without the setup charge. If the manager does not budge, then call their head office in front of them. They probably wont let it go that far, if they do, then also complain to head office that this was a huge inconvenience to you felt you were being ripped off and you may even get a free $50 gift card from them to keep you as customer.

Returns are generally okay with staples, they normally take their time. Just bring everything back with the computer including all packaging materials.

Also most of the setup computers are returned ones, some are brand new. Recently all laptops and desktops that have been returned to staples require a special special sticker that indicates "Resealed and Verified" with the manager's signature.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes
Thanks guys for the responses.
element0 wrote: Also most of the setup computers are returned ones,some are brand new. Recently all laptops and desktops that have been returned to staples require a special special sticker that indicates "Resealed and Verified" with the manager's signature.

Wow, this is what I was worried about. How can they get away with this? Do head office know?

Also, I posted another question specifically about Toshiba laptops (kept it separate since it's a different question). If you know the answer to it, please post away! :) . I am just concerned that they might've "reset" my image and the computer is not straight from factory. On the other hand, if the message is the typical start up message, then I will be happy.
Aug 29, 2010
283 posts
20 upvotes
Yeah sounds like total BS and pure profit. They try to scare you into thinking if you don't buy the package you will be screwed on a reinstall.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Phoenix3434 wrote: Thanks guys for the responses.

Wow, this is what I was worried about. How can they get away with this? Do head office know?

Also, I posted another question specifically about Toshiba laptops (kept it separate since it's a different question). If you know the answer to it, please post away! :) . I am just concerned that they might've "reset" my image and the computer is not straight from factory. On the other hand, if the message is the typical start up message, then I will be happy.

They will normally state at some point that the unit is "resealed" but will always say that they are not sure if it was returned or just opened to show the customer. Upon request they will show you everything inside and power on.

One fun thing you can try, go to the store and pretend you are interested in the "setup" ask for the brochure and ask what are the 100 Enhancements they will perform are as stated in the brochure. Look at their faces and laugh away.
Nov 7, 2005
153 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
Hello, guys. I just wanted to add to the thread and ask a follow-up question on staples computer setup-up. I was picking up a desktop computer from an online order and was asked by the manager whether anybody was 'setting it up for me'. I was confused, as if he meant the computer starts off in component parts and has to get assembled first. He clarified and meant to 'optimize' the computer for my use. After asking me what computer I got, I responded with a Acer Core i3.
He mentioned that a Core i3 was a quad core (which I thought was wrong -- isn't it a dual core?) and that Windows by default only uses ONE core. They need to 'turn on the second core' in order for it to be optimized. There were a number of other things, like "do you have antivirus software yet", "we'll make a recovery disk for you (they don't come with discs these days, y'know)", but this 'CPU optimization' comment was what caught me off guard and I didn't have an answer for.

Is there such a thing in windows or BIOS, where the computer by default only runs one core and has to be enabled to use the rest?

For reference, the computer I was purchasing was an Acer Aspire x3995 core i3-2120 desktop with 6GB DDR3 RAM, unknown motherboard but i suspect it's a sandybridge.

My background: I've been building PC's for my family since childhood, having experience with Intel/AMD cpu's, overclocking. I've stopped doing it awhile back, which was why I've probably forgotten everything and anything about setting up windows and BIOS for these kinds of things.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Built it yourself..

It isn't hard and I wouldn't trust anybody with $800+ worth of items. NEVER
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
@phoenix .
ask to speak to the manager
@dohboy - the staples guy was fos and downright lieing, he was just trying to sell you the setup fee.
if you have built a computer from parts before it is even easier now.
Nov 7, 2005
153 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
lostintransit wrote: @dohboy - the staples guy was fos and downright lieing, he was just trying to sell you the setup fee.
if you have built a computer from parts before it is even easier now.
I'm fully aware of the thread's age, but the same subject ("staples' in-store setup service") applies and was one of the first hits on search. Thanks for the feedback, LostinTransit -- I just needed some confirmation on the facts before I called the manager on it. I was OK to brush aside a sales-job, but I was particularly irritated by somebody lieing to me and intended to make a complaint (either to better business bureau or some other avenue).
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You should reply with, "Dude, quit lying to me," and see what his reaction is :D .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)