Hot Deals

[Staples/TheSource/WM/BB/Costco] HP DeskJet wireless 3-in-One Instant-Ink Eligible Printers from $40

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2019 9:33 pm
Feb 6, 2013
401 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
gen127 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:06 pm
The ink in the included cartridges don't count towards the subscription. It only starts when you finish the included ink and they send you new cartridges
False. The setup cartridges counted for me as they were "Instant Ink Ready". I then thought I should have used them up first before enrolling but if you're doing the 300 page trial: honestly there is barely anything in the setup cartridges (I got like maybe 35 4x6" photos before colour ran out) and then once I got the big carts I never made the 300 page mark anyways (printed like mad at the end and got to 200 lol).

canucks4life wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 3:15 am
@aasoror So just to confirm I pulled the trigger today on 3833...if ink cartridge package says instant should use it up first before registering on free plan HP instant ink?
Yes, don't register until you're finished the set up cartridges. I set up a relative with the 3833, and did exactly that. The setup cartridges barely have anything in them anyways. I think we got through like 20 4x6" photos before colour was out lol. Then signed up for Instant Ink. Big ink carts came in the mail 1 week later. They barely print anything so the free plan will be great for them.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28282 posts
1139 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
canucks4life wrote:
@aasoror So just to confirm I pulled the trigger today on 3833...if ink cartridge package says instant should use it up first before registering on free plan HP instant ink?
I have updated the thread summary.

REGARDLESS to what the ink cartridges say, just do not register until you've finished your ink. Simple as that.

I called HP yesterday, explained what happened. The rep accepted to bump me up to the larger plan & set it for free for the 3 months. At that point, I was told I could downgrade, no issues. just have to do it on a monthly basis. Cannot downbrade mid-way (no proration). Done.

After all that, I found my hp Office Jet laserjet from last year when we were cleaning out a closet. I have no clue how it walked off the desk and buried itself in the clothes in there. I'm sure it still have ink in the toner cartridge...ughhhhhhhhhh sigh. can I return this printer? Is the office jet included in instant ink? lol.
PayTM - $60
PC OPT: $3953 [Yota Mafia] Ebates: $59.70
100% BST & Heatware est. 2005
was hoping to keep this secret longer. did a large clean up of local stores - redflagdealsguy
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18201 posts
9355 upvotes
Kitchener
bubble.tea wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 7:55 am
REGARDLESS to what the ink cartridges say, just do not register until you've finished your ink. Simple as that.
Correct, it's advisable, yet, people with non-instant-ink starter cartridges are safe to enroll the printer whenever they feel like it.
I called HP yesterday, explained what happened. The rep accepted to bump me up to the larger plan & set it for free for the 3 months. At that point, I was told I could downgrade, no issues. just have to do it on a monthly basis. Cannot downbrade mid-way (no proration). Done.
Yup, officially you can't downgrade to the free plan and the business/pro printers are not eligible, but in reality HP reps are known to break both rules (YMMV but still doable).
can I return this printer?
Yup
Is the office jet included in instant ink?
Nope, just inkjets no lasers.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18201 posts
9355 upvotes
Kitchener
canucks4life wrote:
Correct, alternatively you can try setting up the printer with no ink installed at all (haven't tried it though so can't confirm but the information/activation code that is printed in the setup page can be access from the printer menu directly) and enroll the printer from the get-go.
Jul 16, 2012
653 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
Any idea if the CD is required it literally crashes windows explorer as soon as I insert...Win10 did install drivers already.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18201 posts
9355 upvotes
Kitchener
canucks4life wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 4:48 pm
Any idea if the CD is required it literally crashes windows explorer as soon as I insert...Win10 did install drivers already.
Nah, no CD is required, and if you really need the HP toolbox software (which isn't a requirement) you can download it from their website.
Sep 7, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
aasoror wrote:
Jun 13th, 2019 1:00 pm
Staples just PM'ed BB on the 383xx
Staples: Officejet 3830 $40.
This looks great. Do you know if you must have a color cartridge in order to print in black? My previous HPs wouldn't let me print in black if my color cartridges were empty and it was really annoying.

Thanks
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
18201 posts
9355 upvotes
Kitchener
invinci wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2019 2:17 pm
Better to go with this for $10 more?
https://www.staples.ca/en/HP-OfficeJet- ... CA_1_20001
Depends on how much you value ADF/Duplex printing, I would say yes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

invinci