Expired Hot Deals

[Staples] Toshiba 17.3" Laptop Intel Core i3-2328M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD $469($130 OFF)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2012 9:43 pm
Oct 26, 2010
99 posts
12 upvotes
Coquitlam

[Staples] Toshiba 17.3" Laptop Intel Core i3-2328M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD $469($130 OFF)

5 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2633 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
2nd Gen i3 with HD 3000 Graphics, not that Hot

If you're looking for a Notebook to bring around with you to like say School/Work/Trips, 17" is pretty heavy. Been there and done that, was not a great experience. If it's a Desktop Replacement and you'll be leaving it at home 17" won't matter but there should be better deals in the future, I wouldn't want to spend that much money on a Notebook with those Specs. If you're looking for Portable Notebook to bring around, I'd suggest 15" and lower, some people might even say 15" is heavy for them and go for 14" and smaller.

If you're in need of a Notebook right now, I'd take a look at this one from CC. No Online Stock but there are a few that can be found In Store. Intel 3rd Gen i5 with HD 4000 Graphics for $30 More, has the same amount of RAM and 140GB less HDD space, but ideally you'd want to invest in a SSD.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=054961

If you aren't in need of one right now, I'd wait for Boxing Day/Week and see what deals they have. Were some good deals this past Cyber Monday but they're either all Sold Out or back to normal price
Apr 11, 2003
549 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
Kwonie wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 3:20 pm

If you're looking for a Notebook to bring around with you to like say School/Work/Trips, 17" is pretty heavy. Been there and done that, was not a great experience. If it's a Desktop Replacement and you'll be leaving it at home 17" won't matter but there should be better deals in the future, I wouldn't want to spend that much money on a Notebook with those Specs. If you're looking for Portable Notebook to bring around, I'd suggest 15" and lower, some people might even say 15" is heavy for them and go for 14" and smaller.

If you're in need of a Notebook right now, I'd take a look at this one from CC. No Online Stock but there are a few that can be found In Store. Intel 3rd Gen i5 with HD 4000 Graphics for $30 More, has the same amount of RAM and 140GB less HDD space, but ideally you'd want to invest in a SSD.

If you aren't in need of one right now, I'd wait for Boxing Day/Week and see what deals they have. Were some good deals this past Cyber Monday but they're either all Sold Out or back to normal price
If one is in the market for a 17" laptop, discussing the merits of 14-15" units is pointless. That's like talking about what salad is better when I ask "What is a good steakhouse?". As a user of a 17" laptop for the last 10 years, I (as an example) just don't care what the 14 or 15" market brings. So if the OP is looking for a 17" unit, then this is in fact a great deal as I've been keeping an eye out for people who want the same. Most things in this price point are Bseries Intel CPU or painfully slow Eseries AMD's. This at least is an i3. If it has WiDi as well it's a great multimedia machine.

At CC, the next closest 17" unit is $499 with.... a B950. $569 gets you a i3-3110 with less RAM, less HDD, etc. The 15" unit you link to is out of stock, and if weight is your issue, then 5.4 vs 5.95lbs really doesn't matter. That's about the difference of what an iPhone 4 with case weighs. If that really breaks your day, there's an issue.

So at $469 compared to $569 or more, it's a pretty good deal no? Just because YOU don't like 17" laptops, doesn't make it bad.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2633 posts
419 upvotes
Ottawa
netwise wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 7:11 pm
If one is in the market for a 17" laptop, discussing the merits of 14-15" units is pointless. That's like talking about what salad is better when I ask "What is a good steakhouse?". As a user of a 17" laptop for the last 10 years, I (as an example) just don't care what the 14 or 15" market brings. So if the OP is looking for a 17" unit, then this is in fact a great deal as I've been keeping an eye out for people who want the same. Most things in this price point are Bseries Intel CPU or painfully slow Eseries AMD's. This at least is an i3. If it has WiDi as well it's a great multimedia machine.

At CC, the next closest 17" unit is $499 with.... a B950. $569 gets you a i3-3110 with less RAM, less HDD, etc. The 15" unit you link to is out of stock, and if weight is your issue, then 5.4 vs 5.95lbs really doesn't matter. That's about the difference of what an iPhone 4 with case weighs. If that really breaks your day, there's an issue.

So at $469 compared to $569 or more, it's a pretty good deal no? Just because YOU don't like 17" laptops, doesn't make it bad.
OP didn't state that he was looking for a 17" Notebook, just simply asked if it was a Hot Deal.. You seem irate for some odd reason~ :cheesygri Have a tough day and have to lash out your anger on a forum?

Let's take a look at what I said, I'll Bold the things I think you missed...
Kwonie wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 3:20 pm

So I ask OP if the Notebook is meant for School/Work/Trips, 17" is not ideal for leaving the house and brought around on a daily basis, it's a fact. Your comparison with weight isn't all there is to it, which makes me question if you've actually been using a 17" notebook for 10 years. Maybe your 17" notebook has never left your house. Like I said, if it's going to be a Desktop Replacement and it'll be left at home, the 17" size wont matter. 17" notebooks don't only weigh more, but they take up more space. If OP is going to be bringing his notebook to school/work/trips, the extra weight and space needed for a 17" will matter, especially if it's on a daily basis.

I suggested the 15" notebook to OP if he was looking for a Portable Notebook. I even took the extra step and linked one that was decently priced for the specs it had. Yes it's Sold Out Online but it's available for purchase In Store.

Again I'd like to point out that I said if OP wasn't looking or a notebook right now, it's better to wait for Boxing Day/Week to see what deals can be found...

PS. As a user of a 15" notebook for the past year, I don't care what the 17" market brings. If the OP isn't looking for a 15" unit, then it's a fact that it isn't a great deal. I've been keeping an eye out for people who want the same. Most things in this price point offer much more than the specs on this Toshiba. If you're looking for a "great multimedia machine", invest in an External Monitor or TV with a better resolution screen... Hope your day gets better~
Apr 11, 2007
574 posts
66 upvotes
Montreal
Blah blah blah blah.....
× < >