• Aug 12th, 2017 8:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1741 posts
477 upvotes
Edmonton

[Staples] WD My Passport for Mac

If anyone is looking for one of these, I noticed that the Source sells both the 3TB and 4TB models for the same price: $159.99. Not sure if this is a price error but you can do a price match with Staples (reg. price of $179.95) and then use their coupon for an additional $15 off bringing the price of the 4TB to $144.99. This is a good deal. Amazon.ca is selling the 4TB for $169,20 and the 3TB for $149.99 so the price of the 4TB at Staples is cheaper than what you would normally pay for a 3TB.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4182 posts
2524 upvotes
North York
Please enlighten me with the "For MAC" version.
How do I downvote this voting system?
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18994 posts
119418 upvotes
GTA
But you could just use the $25 e-mail signup coupon (signup link) from The Source to get the price down to $134.99...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1741 posts
477 upvotes
Edmonton
konsensei wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:38 pm
Please enlighten me with the "For MAC" version.
This version is specifically formatted for Mac. It's just plug and play essentially.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1610 posts
632 upvotes
Winnipeg
Same drive just diff formatting. For Mac can be used on PC and vice-versa. Just need to format it properly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1741 posts
477 upvotes
Edmonton
toguy wrote:
But you could just use the $25 e-mail signup coupon (signup link) from The Source to get the price down to $134.99...
You get Air Miles at Staples.
Last edited by starchoice on Aug 9th, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2015
2676 posts
13456 upvotes
BC, Lower Mainland
toguy wrote:
doesnt work with coupons anymore
SELLING

GROUP BUY
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18994 posts
119418 upvotes
GTA
Here are all the WD Passport Drives in various colours:

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/search/?text=my+passport

Don't think there's anything special with the Mac versions, other than they are preformatted, as mentioned above. You could certainly reformat it and use it with Windows, if you are so inclined.

There used to be one of these drives that kind of 'matched' the MacBook finish and was branded as 'for Mac' (and you couldn't get a 'regular'/Windows version of that drive) , but looks like they have done away with that.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
18994 posts
119418 upvotes
GTA
Thatdealguy wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:48 pm
doesnt work with coupons anymore
If the coupon doesn't work for this, then they need to update their terms, because there's nothing in it that would indicate this product is ineligible...
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2734 posts
192 upvotes
don't quite get the different formatting
MAC cannot read NTFS
Just go on your PC and format it as FAT then it works fine.
I guess for people that don't have a PC and use MAC only, then you need this version
Correct me if I am wrong
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4182 posts
2524 upvotes
North York
achc wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:23 pm
MAC cannot read NTFS
I guess for people that don't have a PC and use MAC only, then you need this version
Correct me if I am wrong
Not really, I've always plugged in any drive onto a MAC and format it accordingly.
That's why I never understood these "For MAC" versions. As if it's so special only MAC can use. Marketing, I guess, and it does work.

The price in this one is indeed decent though.
How do I downvote this voting system?
Nov 2, 2003
424 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
achc wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:23 pm
MAC cannot read NTFS
Correct me if I am wrong
You are wrong.

MacOS can read NTFS "out of the box" - it just can't write to NTFS. There are several software add-ons available that allow OS X to write to NTFS.

FAT (i.e. FAT32) limits you to 4GB max file size and 2TB max volume size.

As mentioned several times in this thread, a Mac can reformat a brand new drive that is formatted for Windows without issue.
Nov 6, 2016
43 posts
14 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:28 pm
Not really, I've always plugged in any drive onto a MAC and format it accordingly.
That's why I never understood these "For MAC" versions. As if it's so special only MAC can use. Marketing, I guess, and it does work.

The price in this one is indeed decent though.
I don't see why that's a problem. A Mac label just make it easier for people to identify that the drive is not NTFS and will work right out of the box without using disk util to format. Some people want something that just works and wouldn't mind paying a little extra for SKU that guarantee it. I think it's a rip off that an exact drive that formatted differently cost more, but I can also understand that it add to the cost for company to maintain multiple product line.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3770 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
For Mac is for the people who don't know about spending 30 seconds in dusk utility formatting the drive.

It's really a waste to have multiple sku's but there you have it.

Also as said above Mac can read NTFS just fine but can't write to it without a program like paragon NTFS.