Tags:
None
493 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7366 posts
736 upvotes
Victoria
We had quite the long drought of Space based sci-fi shows after Battlestar and Stargate ended. We got Dark Matter and Killjoys this year. It would be great for a new Trek show to be back on TV. The movies are few and far between.

I'm 50/50 on whether or not I like the new movies (I loved the first one, was meh about the sequel). I still think any new show would be better off in the new universe. There was so much Trek TV, books etc.. made that the sheer amount of cannon is insane. I think you'd have an easier time putting it in a universe where Cannon doesn't really exist.

I also don't get what they mean by the pilot premiering on CBS but then the rest will be online only? Like a CBC version of Netflix? ugh.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
241 upvotes
ON
yesstyle wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 11:13 am
seeing this is making me excited
I was also excited to hear the news!

But the bad news is that it is being produced by Alex Kurtzman, who wrote that terrible last Star Trek movie, as well as Cowboys & Aliens.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16558 posts
1001 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Sigh, another streaming service. I just want all of these services to give up and die and just admit that Hulu and Netflix do it better (especially Netflix). Just let those companies pay you. I'm not going to pay for yet another streaming service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3757 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 11:56 am
Sigh, another streaming service. I just want all of these services to give up and die and just admit that Hulu and Netflix do it better (especially Netflix). Just let those companies pay you. I'm not going to pay for yet another streaming service.
there are plenty of free streaming sites out there. My go-to is putlocker (google it). It is pretty comprehensive (has old and latest shows/movies), quality is pretty good, and buffers quickly.

edit: updates quickly as well (usually the next day)
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1769 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Damon Lindelof is on the writing team for this.

The biggest hack since the hacksaw was invented.

Remember, this is the guy that f.cked up the endings to World War Z, ST "Wrath of Into Darkness Khan" and gave the big middle finger to LOST viewers a few years ago in the series finale.

Brace yourselves, explosive lens flares are coming!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8619 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto
JKKim2983 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:01 pm
That's not in the press release

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-sta ... nuary-2017

*edit*

EW claims Lindelof is indeed onboard as exec producer

www.ew.com/article/2015/11/02/cbs-devel ... rek-series

From what I understand, of the former partnership of Orci and Kurtzman, Orci was the bigger Trekkie of the pair but I suppose the debacle of what became Star Trek Beyond might've left Orci with his fill of Trek for a lifetime.
Jun 16, 2005
55 posts
11 upvotes
Saint Albert
yesstyle wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 11:13 am
First time posting a thread here regarding TV shows but seeing this is making me excited

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/2/83252 ... on-studios

I still have vivid memories of TNG and VOY.
I go back to the original one. Wonder what era they will choose? I remember seeing a pitch for a new show taking place in the Andromeda Galaxy - Star Trek Uncharted.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16558 posts
1001 upvotes
Niagara Falls
yesstyle wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 11:59 am
there are plenty of free streaming sites out there. My go-to is putlocker (google it). It is pretty comprehensive (has old and latest shows/movies), quality is pretty good, and buffers quickly.

edit: updates quickly as well (usually the next day)
That's part of my point. People aren't going to pay for yet another streaming site, they will just download the show.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17630 posts
1285 upvotes
Happy to see that CBS is finally putting together a new show.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Apr 10, 2011
556 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
CBS and Paramount are the same. Para owns Trek I think. I guess this was there was to compete with Netflix etc... Drag the Trek base in.

Don't like the new Kirk in the movies, but they were focused on the new generation... No pun intended.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10052 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
I hope CBS gives it a decent budget if this will be an online show only. Don't want them to cheap out on the cgi and production design.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25655 posts
5834 upvotes
GTHA
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 5:02 pm
I hope CBS gives it a decent budget if this will be an online show only. Don't want them to cheap out on the cgi and production design.
imho, should have a decent budget since this series will be distributed internationally.

"CBS Studios International will distribute the series for TV and multiple platforms around the world."
from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... rks-828638
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7366 posts
736 upvotes
Victoria
JKKim2983 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2015 12:01 pm

The biggest hack since the hacksaw was invented.

Remember, this is the guy that f.cked up the endings to World War Z, ST "Wrath of Into Darkness Khan" and gave the big middle finger to LOST viewers a few years ago in the series finale.

Brace yourselves, explosive lens flares are coming!
I liked the Lost finale and I guess I'm one of those people that liked the interaction and development amongst the characters more than the explanations (or lack there of) of the island. I think that's why I dig the new HBO show he made called "The Leftovers". It deals with what happens when 2% of the world's population completely vanished. Rather than dig into the mystery it deals simply with what happened to the other 98% that didn't go anywhere.

I think one of the issues with Nu Trek, especially the 2nd one, is that there's too much flash flash bang bang and the story comes 2nd. 21st centrury type movies. I guess I don't hate lindelof as much as everyone else. I liked his TV work (even I don't like some of his movies).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)