None
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10041 posts
626 upvotes
Mississauga
darshanthegod wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 6:55 pm
this should excite some fans: Star Trek is getting the first new series since Enterprise went off the air a decade ago with Alex Kurtzman, writer of the reboot movies, on board with its development. Who knows if this will take place the same continuity of the movies or if it will be set in the same universe as the past TV shows.
It's already been stated that this will take place in the Prime Universe sometime in the era betweeen TOS and TNG.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9755 posts
846 upvotes
invite wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 8:47 am

Imho, Michelle Yeoh is much more than competent. Beauty contest winner, her own stunt person, Hong Kong martial arts movie star, Bond girl, star of the Academy Award winning Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - to me those are a perfectly rounded set of qualifications to portray the lead in a Star Trek for the new millennium. I couldn't be more optimistic for the new series after hearing this announcement.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this was the reason the new series was delayed - waiting for Michelle Yeoh to clear her schedule - this is a total coup for the show!

BTW, Michelle Yeoh isn't Chinese, but Malaysian. She had to learn her Mandarin dialogue for CTHD phonetically.
From the article that jenviea posted, it doesnt sound like Michelle Yeoh is playing the lead.
We hear that Yeoh has been cast as Han Bo and her ship is the Shenzhou. The Yeoh-run spacecraft is set to play a big role in Discovery‘s first season.
She's not even on the main ship. Maybe she plays a role of a mentor to the lead? To be honest, Michelle Yeoh is too old to be playing a first officer. Since the article mentions the lead will be a non-white young woman, the question is: will this series have 2 Asians in prominent roles?
-=phelan=- wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 7:55 pm
I wish they would have not killed enterprise back in the day...season 3 and 4 got really good.
Seems like ST spinoffs don't start getting good until the 3rd or 4th season. True with both DS9 and Voyager.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3144 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
rageking wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 9:16 pm
Always appeal to the Chinese market by having an Asian star in the mix. Yeoh is competent but isn't really a star one would go out to watch. I wonder if she'll like living in Toronto heh heh heh. Hope she knows what she's getting into.
Do you really believe they cast her to appeal to the Chinese market? I don't know... Not to make it ST vs SW debate, but Star Trek has always tried to round out a relatively diverse cast compared to many other older sci-fi franchises. Even though majority of their crews are white, there was always a bit of ethnicity thrown into the mix, going back to even the original series.

As an Asian ST fan, I hope she plays a prominent role, but I never recalled feeling like Trek didn't at least try to be a bit inclusive with their universe.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7346 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
-=phelan=- wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 7:55 pm
I wish they would have not killed enterprise back in the day...season 3 and 4 got really good.
Yah it definitely found it's way, but it lose a bunch of viewers in it's first two seasons, and there weren't enough people left watching to see that it improved :(

I think it's kind of cool that it gets references in the new ST movies, and Enterprise is basically now the start of the new star trek universe... lol.
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 9:18 pm
Seems like ST spinoffs don't start getting good until the 3rd or 4th season. True with both DS9 and Voyager.
Interesting. I thought ds9 got good on season 2.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7008 posts
169 upvotes
New Westminster
LucifersGhost wrote:
Nov 26th, 2016 9:49 pm
Interesting. I thought ds9 got good on season 2.
When did Sisko shave his head? That's when it became good !
insert witty comment
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7346 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
manixc wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 12:47 pm
When did Sisko shave his head? That's when it became good !
It's all about hairstyles. TNG got good when Rike got the beard. DS9 got good when Sisko shaved his head and grew out a goatee.... lol (which I think was late in s2 or maybe early s3?)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
704 upvotes
DS9 only did well after they added the Dominion War arc which was way past season 2. I really hope they will have ds9 on bluray sometime in the next 3 years. Would be great watching the fight scenes in high resolution.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10041 posts
626 upvotes
Mississauga
rageking wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 9:58 pm
DS9 only did well after they added the Dominion War arc which was way past season 2. I really hope they will have ds9 on bluray sometime in the next 3 years. Would be great watching the fight scenes in high resolution.
The war officially started at the end of Season 5, but the Jem'Hadar and Dominion were introduced in Season 2.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 11:54 pm
The war officially started at the end of Season 5, but the Jem'Hadar and Dominion were introduced in Season 2.
The "cold" war leading up to it was some of the best narratives I've ever seen on TV. The introduction of Section 31, Sloan, the Federation plotting mass genocide of another sentient race (the Changellings themselves), the Obsidian Order, the Tal Shiar (did the Klingons have a clandestine organization??) - absolutely brilliant. Too bad we'll never ever see this level of brilliance ever again in today's dumbed down Trek.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7346 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
rageking wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 9:58 pm
I agree, but I think we've missed the boat on seeing it in HD :( If they were going to do it I would of thought they'd do right after they finished doing TNG. They would of had all the infrastructure in place to keep doing it. At this point I'm guessing the economics don't work. TNG got stuck in that place where it costs so much money to remaster the episodes that they had to charge an arm and a leg for the seasons. Optical media has only declined in popularity since then and prices TV seasons go for have dropped. Streaming doesn't earn as much money, so I'm not sure if they'll ever find the funding for it. Unless technology comes around that makes it cheaper to pull off. It's a shame. I really wish they would of carried on with it. Once they lost momentum you got a feeling it was over :( It's too bad. I think DS9 is my favourite of the Star Trek series. Rewatching TNG, even the best seasons, I forgot how many filler episodes there were. DS9's direction of a series wide story-arc really makes it more interesting for repeated viewing (maybe it's because most good TV shows have now moved in this direction).
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4771 posts
205 upvotes
Guelph
deep space 9 and voyager still look good on dvd. but i agree that HD would be better. maybe it will come still. after all TOS, TNG and enterprise are all in bluray.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9755 posts
846 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 12:03 am
The "cold" war leading up to it was some of the best narratives I've ever seen on TV. The introduction of Section 31, Sloan, the Federation plotting mass genocide of another sentient race (the Changellings themselves), the Obsidian Order, the Tal Shiar (did the Klingons have a clandestine organization??) - absolutely brilliant. Too bad we'll never ever see this level of brilliance ever again in today's dumbed down Trek.
That would be the House of Quark.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

ForlornHope, DiceMan