Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8619 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 2:38 am
A couple of timeline inconsistencies:
- site to site transport (I don't think they had that in TOS)
I believe it was explicitly mentioned as being dangerous during TOS episode 'Day of the Dove' but was used anyways due to circumstances
http://www.startrek.com/database_articl ... ip-beaming
Still not a casual thing as shown in Discovery
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Really enjoying this show and it manages to combine star trek with modern tastes in story instead of campy tng and Voyager feel

This is like ds9 amped way up
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2522 posts
1122 upvotes
Calgaryish
This thread is getting awesome as everybody starts chiming in with their technical assessments of imaginary starships. :D

Let's hope there are thousands of bright kids watching who get excited at the thought of building the next generation of real spacecraft. Sure beats watching yet another medical/police/legal drama.
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:48 pm
All the ships in Trek are usually fairly fragile. The shields and other miscellaneous power-hungry tech is what keeps them intact, not their armor or whatever they're actually made of.
chimaican wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 2:13 pm
Agree. With no shields of any kind, you'd only need one good shot to the engineering section. A good blast to the engine room and the antimatter would do the rest.
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 12:59 pm
One thing that really struck me coming back to Star Trek after shows like The Expanse and BSG was how terrible all the ships were from a safety and usability perspective. The brig had no bed, no chairs, and nothing around that would have kept the main character from flying head-first into a solid force field during maneuvers or combat. The bridge had the science officer standing up instead of sitting down or strapped into anything, and nobody was wearing any sort of protective gear.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5136 posts
1217 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
retrothing wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 9:28 am
This thread is getting awesome as everybody starts chiming in with their technical assessments of imaginary starships. :D

Let's hope there are thousands of bright kids watching who get excited at the thought of building the next generation of real spacecraft. Sure beats watching yet another medical/police/legal drama.
Duh... we're nerds, and unlike the 80s, in 2017, nerds are cool. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10053 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
I love that the Exploding Consoles of Doom are still a thing in Star Trek. You never know when your workstation will just explode and kill you.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14096 posts
1502 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:20 pm
I love that the Exploding Consoles of Doom are still a thing in Star Trek. You never know when your workstation will just explode and kill you.
This is what I'm saying with the protective equipment thing. Every ship in the Star Trek universe basically hides grenades in the workstations which kill and maim crew members every season, but nobody so much as wears a face mask. It's the same with the brig. You have a ship that gets knocked around by weapons fire and such, but there's nothing in there to stop a prisoner from being beaten to death by the solid force fields walls when that happens. I guess OSHA no longer exists in the 22nd century.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2030 posts
496 upvotes
Global Village
night blade wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 7:24 am
Was going to ask here about that, don't recall any of this thread instant travelling from any past Trek, anyone remember something I don't? Oh, it was a great episode, looking forward to see where this goes.
There must be a serious reason why this spore transport tech wasn't used again in the future.
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:20 pm
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:34 pm
This is what I'm saying with the protective equipment thing. Every ship in the Star Trek universe basically hides grenades in the workstations which kill and maim crew members every season, but nobody so much as wears a face mask. It's the same with the brig. You have a ship that gets knocked around by weapons fire and such, but there's nothing in there to stop a prisoner from being beaten to death by the solid force fields walls when that happens. I guess OSHA no longer exists in the 22nd century.
Well of course it's still a thing, discovery takes place a century before TOS... In all subsequent series occurring in future, exploding consoles happen. So discovery needs to have it
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10053 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 1:45 pm
Well of course it's still a thing, discovery takes place a century before TOS... In all subsequent series occurring in future, exploding consoles happen. So discovery needs to have it
A decade.
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 3:29 pm
A decade.
Yes! Brainfart, 10 yrs before tos and a century after enterprise (95 yrs I think?)... But point still same... discovery subsequent series all had exploding consoles...so discovery needs it too
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6558 posts
740 upvotes
exploding consoles are the exploding cars equivalent of the Star Trek universe
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1194 posts
333 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 4:09 pm
probably wouldn't have happened if the console wasn't running windows
Jan 15, 2017
82 posts
28 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 4:09 pm
It's worse. Absolute 0 reason why a touchpad screen should explode like a grenade Face With Tears Of Joy

But it's so Star Trek I still liked it Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1743 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
retrothing wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 9:28 am

There is a Canadian guy who goes into crazy detail about Star Trek ship design on YouTube, if you guys are interested, checkout:

https://www.youtube.com/user/knightstalker666
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17630 posts
1286 upvotes
digger314 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 11:05 pm
It's worse. Absolute 0 reason why a touchpad screen should explode like a grenade Face With Tears Of Joy

But it's so Star Trek I still liked it Face With Tears Of Joy
Note 7 technology.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)