None
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10279 posts
643 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
jenviea wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2017 6:12 am
I believe it was explicitly mentioned as being dangerous during TOS episode 'Day of the Dove' but was used anyways due to circumstances
http://www.startrek.com/database_articl ... ip-beaming
Still not a casual thing as shown in Discovery
Come to think of it, why did they do site to site in the first place? There was no need to go to engineering by stealth. It's not like the shuttle had tight schedule to maintain.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17630 posts
1286 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 2:17 am
Come to think of it, why did they do site to site in the first place? There was no need to go to engineering by stealth. It's not like the shuttle had tight schedule to maintain.
I assume Lorca didn't want the other crew members to know he took Michael Burnham to engineering.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23339 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
digging the crew already...looks very promising based on episode 3.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8619 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto
I thought the new "propulsion" system was ridiculous but somehow Trek fan/apologist almost won me over

TBH I didn't watch all of the Trek tech rationalization vid but enough to be satisfied they didn't pull this out of their rears

Nothing against Sonequa but sometimes supporting characters become popular and move to more prominence
Like Martin Sheen as the President in "The West Wing" maybe this show will refocus on the Captain
Unfortunately, next week's episode delves into Lorca's background probably revealing a irredeemable act/quality nullifying such a reordering of the character hierarchy of the show
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3835 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
jenviea wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 7:23 pm
I thought the new "propulsion" system was ridiculous but somehow Trek fan/apologist almost won me over

TBH I didn't watch all of the Trek tech rationalization vid but enough to be satisfied they didn't pull this out of their rears

Nothing against Sonequa but sometimes supporting characters become popular and move to more prominence
Like Martin Sheen as the President in "The West Wing" maybe this show will refocus on the Captain
Unfortunately, next week's episode delves into Lorca's background probably revealing a irredeemable act/quality nullifying such a reordering of the character hierarchy of the show
Interesting video. But based on the just aired Episode 4's reveal of the "navigational requirements" of Spore Drive, I can see why the technology will not become a big hit with future Starfleet generations.
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Wow...what a great episode...getting to explain a lot of the questions on tech and design and very star trek like with logic,problem solving and not just brute action

Lots of character development for Michael and exploration
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1194 posts
333 upvotes
I guess there is no doubt that the Captain Georgiou isn't making a surprise appearance in season 2, That was truly disgusting.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
1971 posts
239 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:00 pm
I guess there is no doubt that the Captain Georgiou isn't making a surprise appearance in season 2, That was truly disgusting.
Yeah I was holding out hope that she might still be alive along with that T'kuvma klingon. Guess both are gone.

So how are they going to make this spore drive thing disappear at the end of the series? Def can't be canon if the spore drive actually exists all the way to the TNG/DS9/VOY future. That way Voyager would've been saved in no time even if there's only a few experimental ships still.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
I had to rewind and read the subtitle again about that albino apparently eating the meat off Michelle Yeo's skull?! W T F!

Who the fudge came up with this BS really? Everything aside, of all the places to cannibalize meat, skull is the best they could come up with?!

Episode after episode they are hell bent on destroying the Klingons, lowering them to the level of some orc like creature... Someone must have watched too much LOTR when they were 5 y/o I bet.

One positive development, lens flare was almost non existant which made it bearable to watch.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1772 posts
272 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
The more I watch it the more I dislike the series.
This is not what Star Trek stands for, not what I was raised on.
Watching ST young I feel like I was always shown what was appropriate and what wasn't.
This series just threw out all the positive aspects out the window in favor of action/ratings.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16558 posts
1003 upvotes
Niagara Falls
toyopl wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:34 am
Watching ST young I feel like I was always shown what was appropriate and what wasn't.
This series just threw out all the positive aspects out the window in favor of action/ratings.
Or they are just trying to show some more range in the Trek Universe. Personally, I find it refreshing to see the darker side of Starfleet. I can't imagine all of Starfleet were to righteous all the time.

The only thing I don't like is amount of Klingon dialogue. It's not really adding anything for me for the show for them to speaking in Klingon instead of English and I do find it odd they decided to redesign how a Klingon looks again.
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
coilz wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:51 pm
Yeah I was holding out hope that she might still be alive along with that T'kuvma klingon. Guess both are gone.

So how are they going to make this spore drive thing disappear at the end of the series? Def can't be canon if the spore drive actually exists all the way to the TNG/DS9/VOY future. That way Voyager would've been saved in no time even if there's only a few experimental ships still.
Because the spore drive requires a living being to use and it was quite clear in the episode that the trammite did not "enjoy" it
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
badOne wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:00 pm
What was disgusting? Eating flesh? You do know Klingon already ate live foods right?
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
toyopl wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:34 am
You obviously didn't watch much star trek then.

Not to mention discovery predates all the other series except enterprise.