• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 10:25 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 17, 2006
544 posts
58 upvotes
Markham
I was surprised a bridge member was killed off so soon, as if she was just another red shirt ensign.

Anyone else catch the Elon Musk name drop?

And is that Dwight Shrute shown in the previews??
Dec 28, 2015
411 posts
118 upvotes
Westmount, QC
azndoughboi wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:31 am
I was surprised a bridge member was killed off so soon, as if she was just another red shirt ensign.

Yup.. Rainn Wilson is on cast of discovery as Harry Mudd who appeared in TOS
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
azndoughboi wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:31 am

Lol yes, this show is getting a lot of Canadian Love (Shot in Toronto, Mentioning Musk who is Canadian and went to Queens) but seriously slot him between Wright Brothers and the fictional but obviously brilliant Zefram Cochrane? He feels out of place. He's not a critical inventor, more like an innovator although to the show's credit, they may perceive him differently in the Star Trek history vs. ours hence the mention along those other names.

That's still better than how the new Klingons look or act though!
Last edited by X24Secret on Oct 10th, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
Btw, one of the worst scenes of EP04 was when the security officer decided to release the beast and hit it with a phaser and getting all ripped up by the apparently invincible creature. I mean she didn't even wait to try to see if the beast was really sedated or not, oh no. Found the death to be very meaningless almost to the point of stupid, didn't add anything to the show whatsoever other than re-confirm for the Nth. time that the beast was invincible to phaser and I guess sedation! Wonder if this was another Tasha Yar moment although I feel even that death was handled a bit better...

I think the show's writers are struggling and they know it, here is hope they can turn the ship around otherwise I can't really see this show lasting even as long as Enterprise.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7367 posts
737 upvotes
Victoria
I agree that was pretty bad. You're not helping the captain, you suck, i'm going to let this dangerous animal out to spite you! lol.

I recognized the actress from something else (I can't place it), so I assumed she was going to be in for the longer haul... I guess not.

edit: Overall I don't mind the series.. but I'm not sure where it's going. It is weird to once again bring in galaxy wide teleporting (like they did with the new trek movies). My least favourite part of the show thus far are the Klingons. They seems to be the least badass and cool incarnation of klingons yet.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2030 posts
496 upvotes
Global Village
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:02 pm
Btw, one of the worst scenes of EP04 was when the security officer decided to release the beast and hit it with a phaser and getting all ripped up by the apparently invincible creature. I mean she didn't even wait to try to see if the beast was really sedated or not, oh no. Found the death to be very meaningless almost to the point of stupid, didn't add anything to the show whatsoever other than re-confirm for the Nth. time that the beast was invincible to phaser and I guess sedation! Wonder if this was another Tasha Yar moment although I feel even that death was handled a bit better...

I think the show's writers are struggling and they know it, here is hope they can turn the ship around otherwise I can't really see this show lasting even as long as Enterprise.
I'm with you, as a security officer especially her actions in this case are wildly inconsistent, maybe they needed to to get the actor off the show right then, other than Lorca she seemed to be the only militaristic officer on a science ship and I thought the show needed her for the war parts.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14096 posts
1502 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:02 pm

It doesn't make the writing any less dumb, but she did actually check that it was sedated. The computer screen next to her showed that its life signs dropped and she received an audible confirmation from the computer that it was sedated. It's too bad, I actually really liked her character.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3835 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
Sedated or not, I think it would be very irresponsible to not have any containment between the creature and the rest of the ship, especially after we've already seen the creature tear through ship walls. I wonder why she couldn't take her samples using remote controlled robotic arms or something.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1194 posts
333 upvotes
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 12:48 pm
Lol yes, this show is getting a lot of Canadian Love (Shot in Toronto, Mentioning Musk who is Canadian and went to Queens) but seriously slot him between Wright Brothers and the fictional but obviously brilliant Zefram Cochrane? He feels out of place. He's not a critical inventor, more like an innovator although to the show's credit, they may perceive him differently in the Star Trek history vs. ours hence the mention along those other names.

That's still better than how the new Klingons look or act though!
Musk is from Romania I believe but is an American. He has no Canadian ties at all.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1194 posts
333 upvotes
zod wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 2:20 pm
I agree that was pretty bad. You're not helping the captain, you suck, i'm going to let this dangerous animal out to spite you! lol.

I recognized the actress from something else (I can't place it), so I assumed she was going to be in for the longer haul... I guess not.

edit: Overall I don't mind the series.. but I'm not sure where it's going. It is weird to once again bring in galaxy wide teleporting (like they did with the new trek movies). My least favourite part of the show thus far are the Klingons. They seems to be the least badass and cool incarnation of klingons yet.
I believe she was on homeland. I don't think she lasted more than 1 season though. She didn't even last more than 5 ep for this series.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2702 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, I'm happy to finally see a series that attracted so many people to Star Trek: a sense of optimism, exploration, and science fiction-based storylines that explore the human condition, with some humour thrown in.

Of course, the series I'm referring to is Stephen Macfarlane's "The Orville", which to me is more Star Trek than Discovery is.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:21 pm
Musk is from Romania I believe but is an American. He has no Canadian ties at all.
Humm where do you get all this misinformation from?!

Musk is infact as Canadian as rest of us. He's a Queen's alumni and was born to a South African father and a Canadian mother. He still holds Canadian citizenship (Along with natural born SA and naturalized American).

Read about him here.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:36 pm
Personally, I'm happy to finally see a series that attracted so many people to Star Trek: a sense of optimism, exploration, and science fiction-based storylines that explore the human condition, with some humour thrown in.

Of course, the series I'm referring to is Stephen Macfarlane's "The Orville", which to me is more Star Trek than Discovery is.
Orville is nice but I feel is generally more Guardians of Galaxy style with the humrous bits etc. than Star Trek.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:39 pm
It doesn't make the writing any less dumb, but she did actually check that it was sedated. The computer screen next to her showed that its life signs dropped and she received an audible confirmation from the computer that it was sedated. It's too bad, I actually really liked her character.
I must have missed it as the sequence unfolded with lightning speed! Initially I thought is a joke but after the WTF momemt I was certain it's some sort of clever ploy to get "Michael" to try harder or something to that effect after the Captain commented regarding her death not being in vain. Lol

I admit I think I would have liked that charcter but then again I also liked Tasha Yar!