None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
6032 posts
2145 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 2:20 pm
I agree that was pretty bad. You're not helping the captain, you suck, i'm going to let this dangerous animal out to spite you! lol.

I recognized the actress from something else (I can't place it), so I assumed she was going to be in for the longer haul... I guess not.

edit: Overall I don't mind the series.. but I'm not sure where it's going. It is weird to once again bring in galaxy wide teleporting (like they did with the new trek movies). My least favourite part of the show thus far are the Klingons. They seems to be the least badass and cool incarnation of klingons yet.
shes from BSG.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
6032 posts
2145 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:02 pm
Btw, one of the worst scenes of EP04 was when the security officer decided to release the beast and hit it with a phaser and getting all ripped up by the apparently invincible creature. I mean she didn't even wait to try to see if the beast was really sedated or not, oh no. Found the death to be very meaningless almost to the point of stupid, didn't add anything to the show whatsoever other than re-confirm for the Nth. time that the beast was invincible to phaser and I guess sedation! Wonder if this was another Tasha Yar moment although I feel even that death was handled a bit better...

I think the show's writers are struggling and they know it, here is hope they can turn the ship around otherwise I can't really see this show lasting even as long as Enterprise.
I agree.. I don't get it at all....... like she picks up a blaster and a knife.... meanwhile she knows the thing ripped through like 15 klingons and a bunch of humans.............. and she knew it stops disruptors/phasers... so wtf????????

so dumb
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10053 posts
634 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, so I guess we know why spore drive didn't take off. No way will the Federation allow a creature to basically be enslaved so a ship can travel. It reminded me of the Guild Navigators from Dune.

For Season 2, they're going to have to re-think the Klingons. The actors who play them are barely able to speak properly with all those complex dental and facial prosthetics. The TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT era Klingons wore fake teeth too, but never had this problem.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4261 posts
433 upvotes
I'm fine with Star Trek linking each episode together like a soap opera, but it shouldn't feel a long movie based on one main character.

security officer death definitely felt dumb and unbelievable

klingons sound dumb and look dumb

right now I'm enjoying Orville more than this
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1194 posts
333 upvotes
jenviea wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:04 pm
Exec producer Alex Kurtzman is optimistic for a second season and confirms director Jonathan Frakes mirror universe episode(s) leak

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/10/star-t ... -and-more/
As good as gold they will get 2nd season. Season 1 is solidly profitable. So long as Netflix doesn't pull the plug this will go on forever.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23339 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
im actually enjoying the ST more than Orville at the moment. Pretty creative so far. Sure it's not perfect but its entertaining .
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3757 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:18 pm
I'm fine with Star Trek linking each episode together like a soap opera, but it shouldn't feel a long movie based on one main character.

klingons sound dumb and look dumb

right now I'm enjoying Orville more than this
that's how im feeling right now. Quality of the series is like the movies with Chris Pine with a focus on 1 or 2 characters.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:02 am
Yeah, so I guess we know why spore drive didn't take off. No way will the Federation allow a creature to basically be enslaved so a ship can travel. It reminded me of the Guild Navigators from Dune.

For Season 2, they're going to have to re-think the Klingons. The actors who play them are barely able to speak properly with all those complex dental and facial prosthetics. The TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT era Klingons wore fake teeth too, but never had this problem.
This spore drive is a bit BS and conflicts with a lot of official Canon. Chief amongst them, let's say Federation didn't want to use it, that's fine, how about the less benevolent antagonists of the ST universe like the Borg for example? What's stopping them?

And let's say in the case of Voyager, would it be really a stretch to think they could have made a single jump and get back home using Spore drive and let the creature go afterwards... So many other instances like this exist such as say the desperate war with Dominion and what an amazing advantage this tech would have created and so on.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16558 posts
1003 upvotes
Niagara Falls
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:47 pm
This spore drive is a bit BS and conflicts with a lot of official Canon. Chief amongst them, let's say Federation didn't want to use it, that's fine, how about the less benevolent antagonists of the ST universe like the Borg for example? What's stopping them?

And let's say in the case of Voyager, would it be really a stretch to think they could have made a single jump and get back home using Spore drive and let the creature go afterwards... So many other instances like this exist such as say the desperate war with Dominion and what an amazing advantage this tech would have created and so on.
Which is why I'm sure the show will explain why the spore drive can't actually be used. Hopefully it'll be a little more than Starfleet's just not willing to force a creature into torture because as you said, other races in the Universe certainly would have. They obviously aren't going to kill their main story line with something as simple as basically teleporting wherever they'd like doing whatever they'd like.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2649 posts
1379 upvotes
Markham
badOne wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:23 pm
As good as gold they will get 2nd season. Season 1 is solidly profitable. So long as Netflix doesn't pull the plug this will go on forever.
This guy is really something! Keeps coming up with stuff out of thin air! First it was Musk being Romanian lol now making bold statements on something it's almost impossible to know at the moment.

First off, it will be the CBS All Access numbers that will make or brake the show as the US is the primary market for all things Trek! Netflix only plays the series internationally (Except here which is on Space/Crave TV).

Which brings me to my second point that unless CBS releases their internal viewership and retention numbers (fat chance of that happening!) no one but the network really can comment on the profitablity aspect of the show. It's way too early anyway.

About the only remotely correct point in your post is the extreme liklihood of a second season, anything betond that is complete speculation.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7009 posts
169 upvotes
New Westminster
Is it just me or is there no subtitles when the Klingons we're speaking?
insert witty comment
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17630 posts
1286 upvotes
Kingmoo wrote:
In 4 episodes, they killed 2 women of colour and that didn't go unnoticed.
manixc wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:09 am
Is it just me or is there no subtitles when the Klingons we're speaking?
It's just you.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3583 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
i like the series overall so far but i have to say the latest episode (1x04), while i still enjoyed watching it, was probably my least favourite.

i agree the death of the security officer seemed totally unnecessary and out of character. a lot of the conflicts seem forced. the science mushroom dude clearly hates being on board and no one actually seems to like their captain. i'm also not really understanding the link between the creature and the spores and how they're even manipulating it to transport around.

i do like michael and her roommate bonding more with each passing episode though. seems an unlikely pairing but thats how it goes in life too.

so far i'm not very convinced that the klingon storyline is going to pay off. i can't even tell if that assistant klingon (the one that 'saved' the albino klingon by leaving him on the shenzhou) is male or female? or a child? not that it even matters, but i find these little things to be distracting.
Last edited by stevelam on Oct 12th, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10279 posts
643 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Kingmoo wrote:
I'm fine with Star Trek linking each episode together like a soap opera,
Nah, it's not a soap opera unless it has love triangles, like BSG75.