• May 11th, 2019 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3678 posts
894 upvotes
Toronto
I just realized in this episode that Saru has hooves instead of feet, which makes perfect sense considering his race evolved as prey species on their planet.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
446 upvotes
Michael has 2 looks:

chin up confused:

head tilt confused:
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11154 posts
1389 upvotes
Mississauga
X24Secret wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:37 am
Actually I started to dig a bit on this and according to Memory Alpha apparently an episode of TAS : The Practical Joker (Timeline continues where TOS ended) shows a holodeck. Also supposedly Roddenberry wanted to include the holodeck technology in Season 3 of TOS but didn't have the funding. TNG's "Encounter at Farpoint" does indeed make them seem like such a novelty and supposedly, again according to Memory Alpha so take it for what it's worth, even the writers of that episode weren't aware of the TAS episode with Holodeck.

I stand corrected in this case as it appears that holodecks were available at some point in the TOS/TAS timeline so can again blur the line and extend it to Discovery which is about 15 years prior to the TAS episode with a Holodeck.
I'm going to fanwank that what we saw in DISCO(!) was more of a virtual combat simulation chamber, designed only for that purpose and unable to create complex simulations that we would see on the holodecks of TNG/DS9/VOY. I'll take it back if we see Burnham playing with Sherlock Holmes in a future episode.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8138 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 8:50 am
I'm going to fanwank that what we saw in DISCO(!) was more of a virtual combat simulation chamber, designed only for that purpose and unable to create complex simulations that we would see on the holodecks of TNG/DS9/VOY. I'll take it back if we see Burnham playing with Sherlock Holmes in a future episode.
In the first season TNG episode 11001001, we saw that the Binars made improvements to the Holodeck to make it appear more life like. Both Riker and Picard at the time made it sound like Holodeck technology had been around for a while (and this considering that the Galaxy class starship was the most advanced for the time, and newly out of shipyards, should have had the most up-to-date technology). I guess we can then assume that maybe a basic Holodeck or simulator would have existed in Christopher Pike's time. I definitely agree, if she starts playing out Sherlock Holmes, that will be the last straw for me.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8138 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Oh and to add to this on Star Trek Enterprise, Tripp encountered those aliens who had Holodeck technology and that was supposedly to be nearly 60-80yrs prior to this show, so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that they could have either developed the tech or incorporated a Federation member who had the tech.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5171 posts
1426 upvotes
Aurora
I can believe holodecks will exist in TOS time. With current VR technology, it's not difficult to image we'll have it 200 years in the future. Though I think it would be more like having the VR code beamed directly in your brain (Matrix style or Agents of Shield Framework style) rather than actual ungainly physical holodeck with tractor beams and what-not.
Last edited by DiceMan on Oct 26th, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8138 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
DiceMan wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 1:51 pm
I can believe holodecks will exit in TOS time. With current VR technology, it's not difficult to image we'll have it 200 years in the future. Though I think it would be more like having the VR code beamed directly in your brain (Matrix style or Agents of Shield Framework style) rather than actual ungainly physical holodeck with tractor beams and what-not.
Unfortunately we cannot compare our level of technological advance to that on fictional Star Trek. The canon has been set and it's difficult to adjust it just because what we may or may not have in the real world. Man though, it would have been nice if Back To The Future was real. Where's my hoverboard and flying car?

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8489 posts
1160 upvotes
Victoria
chimaican wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 2:13 pm
Unfortunately we cannot compare our level of technological advance to that on fictional Star Trek. The canon has been set and it's difficult to adjust it just because what we may or may not have in the real world. Man though, it would have been nice if Back To The Future was real. Where's my hoverboard and flying car?
Marty f'd it up when he didn't crash into the Rolls Royce. BTTF totally gave themselves an out on that, because Marty completely changed the future at the end of BTTF 3 :)

Back to this post though. I give Trek latitude because I you can't hold them down to what people thought was futuristic in the 60s (or even 80s/90s). On the other hand, it's why you would think having a series set post Star Trek Nemesis would be the easiest. You wouldn't have to deal with any of it. You could make it as futuristic as you want.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3678 posts
894 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:12 am
In the first season TNG episode 11001001, we saw that the Binars made improvements to the Holodeck to make it appear more life like. Both Riker and Picard at the time made it sound like Holodeck technology had been around for a while (and this considering that the Galaxy class starship was the most advanced for the time, and newly out of shipyards, should have had the most up-to-date technology). I guess we can then assume that maybe a basic Holodeck or simulator would have existed in Christopher Pike's time. I definitely agree, if she starts playing out Sherlock Holmes, that will be the last straw for me.
I'm not that deeply entrenched in the lore and tech of ST, but when I used to watch TNG, I considered the Enterprise to be like the luxury line of the Starfleet Fleet... the one with amenities that maybe other ships didn't have. So while maybe holodeck technology has been around for a while, only the most advanced, flagship type of ships had them. Just like how only the best cruise ships have things like wave pools or fake surfing pools or Mickey Mouse mascots or whatever...

The holodeck in the TNG and DS9 era is a luxury recreation amenity, and something that maybe not all of the crew even had access to. I mean, there's over 1000 people living on Enterprise, and I assume one holodeck - it sure seemed like the senior officers were the ones using it quite a bit...

But for a ship like Disco, it could also be that the holodeck is specifically for combat training, and for a ship that's likely to see battle and deploy troops on away missions during wartime, it makes sense that they have a venue for realistic combat training
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11382 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You're right about Enterprise D being a luxury liner. I think it was one of the first Starfleet ships to allow families (ie. children) to live on board.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8138 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
rabbit wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 3:34 am
You're right about Enterprise D being a luxury liner. I think it was one of the first Starfleet ships to allow families (ie. children) to live on board.
It wasn't the first Starfleet ship (DS9 series premiere: Cmdr Sisko's former ship had families on board, including his own). The Galaxy Class (Enterprise D) is a multi-function starship designed for a lot of scientific and diplomatic missions. Other starships are more mission oriented (i.e. exploration, medical, scientific, patrol).

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2754 posts
511 upvotes
I wonder how long it'll be before someone makes a "ENTER" tshirt like the DISCO ones ... or one appears as an easter eagg in an episode
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11382 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
chimaican wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 8:12 am
It wasn't the first Starfleet ship (DS9 series premiere: Cmdr Sisko's former ship had families on board, including his own).
That flashback took place during the TNG episodes "Best of Both Worlds", if I'm not mistaken.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
8138 posts
4375 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
rabbit wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 1:56 am
That flashback took place during the TNG episodes "Best of Both Worlds", if I'm not mistaken.
That's right. Battle of WOLF-359 where the Federation task force was obliterated by the invading Borg cube. The series premiere of DS9 showed Sisko as 2nd in command of his former starship (believe it was Nova class?). There were families on board including his own.

Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
10626 posts
2786 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 9:16 am
Battle of WOLF-359 where the Federation task force was obliterated by the invading Borg cube. The series premiere of DS9 showed Sisko as 2nd in command of his former starship (believe it was Nova class?).
I enjoyed that prologue at the time special effects battles were still pretty rarely shown on Trek (an off screen event in BOBW)

Maybe not so coincidentally, the prologue of Abrams reboot repeats the same emotional territory