None
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1669 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 8:33 pm
The actor playing Lt. Stamets is the one accusing Kevin Stacey of sexual misconduct. I thought he looked familiar.
Not so good to be male in Hollywood right now as more sexual accusations are popping from more and more women. Dustin Hoffman and Jeremy Piven were accused today.

Side note, was this week episode sort of taken from Stargate SG-1? Where Jack was caught in a time loop as well? They're not running out of ideas already are they?
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9179 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto
some1not wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:14 pm
Side note, was this week episode sort of taken from Stargate SG-1? Where Jack was caught in a time loop as well? They're not running out of ideas already are they?
As someone mentioned upthread there's a 1992 TNG episode 'Cause and Effect' that I'm sure predates your SG episode

That TNG episode also predates the more widely known Bill Murray comedy 'Groundhog Day'

More broadly, time loop stories are arguably just a sci fi twist on the same event(s) from different perspectives narrative like the Japanese classic Rashomon and that came out in the 50s
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1669 posts
735 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 6:59 am
As someone mentioned upthread there's a 1992 TNG episode 'Cause and Effect' that I'm sure predates your SG episode

That TNG episode also predates the more widely known Bill Murray comedy 'Groundhog Day'

More broadly, time loop stories are arguably just a sci fi twist on the same event(s) from different perspectives narrative like the Japanese classic Rashomon and that came out in the 50s

I can't go back that far, but I'll take your word for it.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Apr 13, 2003
452 posts
173 upvotes
Scarborough
So, is the Admiral Dead or what? I think I saw her hand twitching when she was being dragged into that room.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2293 posts
326 upvotes
Not sure if Admiral is dead or not. I think when that klingon woman was saying she would take her leave she intended to take the admiral with her, but now shes been captured and they see thru her plan, it's up in the air I guess. But in the next episode they're going to meet up so maybe a mad dash to the transporter room or shuttle just like the captain a few episodes ago.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10409 posts
868 upvotes
Mississauga
Those forest scenes look like the Escarpment, just west of Milton lol.
Sep 10, 2004
494 posts
77 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:15 am
Those forest scenes look like the Escarpment, just west of Milton lol.
They were filmed in Toronto. It is probable they also got their outdoor shots around the GTA area.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4286 posts
650 upvotes
Aurora
This was quite a good episode. Also, it showed off more of the capabilities of Saru's race other than a generic alien with a weird head.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2293 posts
326 upvotes
Mid season finale already. Let's see if the admiral is dead or not
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1653 posts
539 upvotes
VANCOUVER
coilz wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:09 pm
Mid season finale already. Let's see if the admiral is dead or not
I vote not dead and with Lorca saving her I think she owes it to him to not "out" him as unstable.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17894 posts
1389 upvotes
If Tyler is Voq, it wouldn't have been straight plastic surgery as in this past episode, he's in sickbay and a screen shows his internal organs. I would assume if he had Klingon organs, it would show there.

This Tyler is Voq thing could all be a red herring. Or it's true and Voq did some full body transfer or even a mind merge with the real Ash Tyler. With L'Rell seemingly looking to defect and pushing Admiral Cornwell to get onto the Discovery, L'Rell and Voq may have planned to take down Kol by siding with the Federation. They could have planned to unite the Klingons this way but as they interact with Burhnam and Cornwell, they start understanding the Federation.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9179 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:29 am
If Tyler is Voq, ...
Sadly I think it's true

I don't know how they're going to explain it but at the very least it's likely they're played by the same actor (maybe that's the real reason for the radical Klingon redesign)

Like Into Darkness you can't keep secrets from monomaniacally analytical Trekkies (or you got up your misdirection/obfuscation game)

Ironically I think I would have loved that twist if the creatives covered their tracks with much more diligence
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2477 posts
672 upvotes
Global Village
If Tyler is Voq?! There is no way they can expect us to believe that by Voq merely spending time on the Shinzu and accessing whatever earth database was left standing he could convincingly have the accent, mannerisms, familiarity with Starfleet that Tyler does. And Klingons having the ability to take over an alien species body and mind to such an extent seems totally inconsistent with the Klingons of the future we've seen. If they take it there it would be so ridiculous to me I'd give up on watching the show.
All day I dream about sports
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:50 am
If Tyler is Voq?! There is no way they can expect us to believe that by Voq merely spending time on the Shinzu and accessing whatever earth database was left standing he could convincingly have the accent, mannerisms, familiarity with Starfleet that Tyler does. And Klingons having the ability to take over an alien species body and mind to such an extent seems totally inconsistent with the Klingons of the future we've seen. If they take it there it would be so ridiculous to me I'd give up on watching the show.
just tortured i think, nothing like that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9179 posts
1944 upvotes
Toronto
I was satisfied with the last episode of the year
Arguably it was a little pandering but I was susceptible
I don't think Burnham should've been a match for Kol
IIRC Canadian actress Wendy Crewson claimed she was cast but now I'm thinking she was supposed to play Cornwell and got recast

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)