• Feb 25th, 2024 12:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
jenviea wrote: Anson Mount will portray Christopher Pike for the second season
Does he speak? He does look like a stalwart Captain. I wonder if Enterprise crew will really be wearing t-shirts, capri pants, mod boots and mini-skirts.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17816 upvotes
GTA, ON
coilz wrote: Interesting introduction of Section 31. Who will their next enemy be?.. Romulans? Too bad they established the Earth-Romulan war in the "Enterprise" era and not just a bit before TOS, would've been nice to get some more information on that.
It's called the Earth-Romulan war for a reason, not the Federation-Romulan war. As I recall the war happened before the birth of the Federation and was fought mainly over subspace and with nuclear weapons. It was between Earth and Romulus. They never met face to face, and the first time they actually see what they look like is when they infiltrated Federation space and the Enterprise commanded by Kirk destroyed them.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
chimaican wrote: As I recall the war happened before the birth of the Federation and was fought mainly over subspace and with nuclear weapons.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Over subspace? In Balance of Terror the Romulan ship has no warp drive to form a subspace bubble.
Apparently in the Earth-Romulan war, Starfleet also had no warp drive. This would have made a battle over light years virtually impossible.
It would have taken centuries to reach the battlefield. Also they were firing phasers which looked an awful lot like torpedoes.
The show really hadn't decided what terminology to use back then, and each writer seemingly having no worries about canon or continuity,
and then Enterprise came along and decided it wasn't going to bother with that nasty continuity either.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17377 posts
12713 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Jonathan Frakes revealed this weekend ...
They probably should shut that guy down
He also spoiled the Mirror Universe in season 1
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Canadian Broadcast Standards Council rules broadcast of Star Trek: Discovery on @SpaceChannel violated CAB code by “broadcasting the f-word and graphic violence before 9:00 pm, and for failing to put a classification icon on the program” http://www.cbsc.ca/space-re-star-trek-d ... your-pain/
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17377 posts
12713 upvotes
Toronto
Some glimpses of season 2 behind the scenes with a start of production teaser

Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17377 posts
12713 upvotes
Toronto
Model kits (an integral part of fandom for some of a certain age) coming

Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:

Canadian Broadcast Standards Council rules broadcast of Star Trek: Discovery on @SpaceChannel violated CAB code by “broadcasting the f-word and graphic violence before 9:00 pm, and for failing to put a classification icon on the program” http://www.cbsc.ca/space-re-star-trek-d ... your-pain/
they are so dumb to have used the F-word. it added ZERO to the plot, or storyline, or coolness factor. so dumb.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11665 posts
3470 upvotes
Victoria
daivey wrote: they are so dumb to have used the F-word. it added ZERO to the plot, or storyline, or coolness factor. so dumb.
Actually, I liked it. I find a lot of people use the odd swear word. I've totally seen the exact same thing happen a various jobs. Someone accidentally lets one slip, then the coworker doesn't care (or uses the same one back in reply).

Star Trek started in the 60's when swear words were completely taboo. They keeps eroding, so most likely in a few hundred years it'll be like it is now, or it'll have gotten to the point where people use them so much they cease to be swear words. Now that's the future I want to see. When people decided to evolve and stop designating certain words as superstitious :)
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3195 posts
1127 upvotes
...I can't believe the F work is still such an issue with fans.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6980 posts
3250 upvotes
zod wrote: Actually, I liked it. I find a lot of people use the odd swear word. I've totally seen the exact same thing happen a various jobs. Someone accidentally lets one slip, then the coworker doesn't care (or uses the same one back in reply).

Star Trek started in the 60's when swear words were completely taboo. They keeps eroding, so most likely in a few hundred years it'll be like it is now, or it'll have gotten to the point where people use them so much they cease to be swear words. Now that's the future I want to see. When people decided to evolve and stop designating certain words as superstitious :)
When you can see more profanity in the movies, and nudity at pretty much a click to a webpage, I don't even see the point of censoring.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17377 posts
12713 upvotes
Toronto
As Alex Kurtzman signs a new deal with CBS word is coming about their expansion plans for Trek via Variety

Some rumoured takes

-A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW’s reboot of “Dynasty” and previously created shows like “Gossip Girl” and Hulu and Marvel’s “Runaways.”

-A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

-A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.” (This confirms what Nicholas Meyer has hinted he was working on)

-An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-t ... 202842335/
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
678 upvotes
Ontario
We need the future. Not "Starfleet academy" or another Khan story. I am sick of star trek boldly going to the same place over and over.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1340 posts
322 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
webshark wrote: We need the future. Not "Starfleet academy" or another Khan story. I am sick of star trek boldly going to the same place over and over.
i agree. i want another star trek show that takes place after voyager.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
webshark wrote: We need the future. Not "Starfleet academy" or another Khan story. I am sick of star trek boldly going to the same place over and over.
I think Starfleet Academy is a good place to build the part of the universe to attract some of the younger crowd.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed