Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17813 posts
1357 upvotes
Psychopathetic wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:03 pm
How do we know he wasn't a Vulcan version of Admiral? Would Earth make allies with Vulcan and then start their officers all off as a Starfleet cadet?
The Intrepid was an all Vulcan crew during the TOS era, so obviously they had a Vulcan captain, outranking Spock.
Heck we don't even really know if Vulcan has the authority driven version of Starfleet's navy do we?
It's hard to reconcile this series with TOS anyway, it's so different.
Good point. T'Pol was first officer on the NX-01 even before the Federation was formed.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4120 posts
590 upvotes
Aurora
Psychopathetic wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:03 pm

How do we know he wasn't a Vulcan version of Admiral? Would Earth make allies with Vulcan and then start their officers all off as a Starfleet cadet?
The Intrepid was an all Vulcan crew during the TOS era, so obviously they had a Vulcan captain, outranking Spock.
Heck we don't even really know if Vulcan has the authority driven version of Starfleet's navy do we?
It's hard to reconcile this series with TOS anyway, it's so different.
Haz wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:46 pm
Good point. T'Pol was first officer on the NX-01 even before the Federation was formed.
Yeah, it can be difficult to reconcile old and new series. The most painless way is just to conveniently ignore inconsistencies and enjoy. Though we can retcon with a crowbar all we want. Maybe the Vulcan crew of the Intrepid kept their Vulcan (naval?) ranks and crewed a Starfleet vessel as part of an "exchange program". Perhaps in that same era, there's a human crew running a Vulcan vessel. Also, as for T'Pol, I've heard some argue that she was part of Earth's Starfleet which was, at the time, not the same origanization as Federation Starfleet. Like I said, retcon with a crowbar.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8886 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
Teaser for the next episode (not airing until January)

Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1475 posts
234 upvotes
I'm no Trekkie but I've been loving this season and I can't wait for more next year.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10432 posts
678 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:56 pm
Also, as for T'Pol, I've heard some argue that she was part of Earth's Starfleet which was, at the time, not the same origanization as Federation Starfleet. Like I said, retcon with a crowbar.
She wasn't with Starfleet. She just served onboard Enterprise. Note her uniform, which wasn't Starfleet (or whatever it was called before The Federation).

It was sort of the same with Major/Colonel Kira, while serving on DS9, although she was granted a Starfleet commission temporarily. (Yes, I know DS9 actually belonged to Bajor, but my point is the uniform.)

BTW, going back to a post someone made of Burnham's puzzled looks, I did notice her doing the head tilt. Seems we have another David Caruso / Horatio Caine on our hands :D .
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5511 posts
1513 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
rabbit wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 2:27 am
She wasn't with Starfleet. She just served onboard Enterprise. Note her uniform, which wasn't Starfleet (or whatever it was called before The Federation).

It was sort of the same with Major/Colonel Kira, while serving on DS9, although she was granted a Starfleet commission temporarily. (Yes, I know DS9 actually belonged to Bajor, but my point is the uniform.)

BTW, going back to a post someone made of Burnham's puzzled looks, I did notice her doing the head tilt. Seems we have another David Caruso / Horatio Caine on our hands :D .
Starfleet predates the Federation, it was formalized into the Federation after it was formed. As for T'Pol, she was a Vulcan officer assigned to the NX-01 and was given 2nd in command after the their first mission. She officially joined Starfleet after the Xindi attacked Earth. So yes, she was a Starfleet officer in a sense, but, she did not attend the academy. I would say it was more of a battle commission.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Starfleet command is mostly human ships.. because the humans have the largest population/expansion, and probably the most military of all the species they assimilate into the Federation.

Even in DS9 and other Star Trek series, the Vulcan's have their own ships.

Except that I'm assuming that all federation races provide resources/science, to build Starfleet vessels... which in turn protect the homeworlds/border worlds of all federation space... but it's mostly humans... at least that's what STar Trek has taught me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8886 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
Episode titles for the remaining episodes have been revealed
Get speculatin'!

10. "Despite Yourself"
11. "The Wolf Inside"
12. "Vaulting Ambition"
13. "What's Past is Prologue"
14. "The War Without, The War Within"
15. "Will You Take My Hand?"
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14836 posts
1146 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
Haz wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:46 pm
Have you seen her in tights? She's hot man!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2829 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Back to the "Vulcan admiral" issue, it's possible/likely that many Federation worlds have their own fleets, similar to how US states have their own National Guard/State Defense forces that can be federalized in times of war. It's also likely that due to the Klingon war that's what happened (the Admiral was part of a Vulcan uniformed service that got "federalized" and thus became a part of Starfleet). It also explains how in Deep Space Nine the Federation fleet had thousands of starships during the Dominion War, where prior to the war it was suggested that the amount was in the low 100s. It also explains how at least one Starfleet ship (the one from the DS9 episode where they play baseball was crewed entirely by Vulcans.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1475 posts
234 upvotes
jenviea wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 5:17 pm
Ahead of tomorrow night's return, some of the team is at TCA and gave the most vague direction for the rest of the season and next season

https://www.avclub.com/star-trek-discov ... 1821843339

Interesting that heavy use of subtitles is defended yet there will be less in the remaining episodes
Are Trekkies actually complaining about having to read subtitles???
Baaaaaaaaa!
Mar 20, 2009
369 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 8:49 am
I suspect there is a correlation between subtitle dislike and multi-tasking while watching.
I must admit, that I often use my tablet while watching on my large TV.
I recently started binge watching "The Americans", and realized how much harder it was to multi-task (because of the many scenes in Russian that used subtitles).
I definitely recall, for this reason, also slightly being annoyed with Discovery.

In my defense, I'm not actually engaging in social media.
Often scrolling through newsfeeds and forums that I frequent.
Not sure how much this has damaged my attention span...
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16842 posts
1104 upvotes
Niagara Falls
shikotee wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:28 am
I suspect there is a correlation between subtitle dislike and multi-tasking while watching.
I must admit, that I often use my tablet while watching on my large TV.
I recently started binge watching "The Americans", and realized how much harder it was to multi-task (because of the many scenes in Russian that used subtitles).
I definitely recall, for this reason, also slightly being annoyed with Discovery.

In my defense, I'm not actually engaging in social media.
Often scrolling through newsfeeds and forums that I frequent.
Not sure how much this has damaged my attention span...
It's damaged all of it. :)

I'm the same way as well. Usually have a show on my second monitor while I'm doing stuff on my desktop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7260 posts
1015 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 8:49 am
I just find that they put so much into the visuals for the show which is great, but then you are missing half of it because you are focused on reading the subtitles instead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)