• Oct 30th, 2018 6:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6940 posts
2852 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
The mirror universe Terrans just don't seem evil & cruel enough for me.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1173 posts
350 upvotes
You don't think an entire cargo bay full of agonizers is cruel? Infinite pain without tissue damage?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6940 posts
2852 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
What I mean is I feel that the actors didn't portray enough barbarism. Just feel when compared to the portrayals on TOS and ENT, I just didn't feel the same level of deceitfulness and malice. I imagined the emporer would be more menacing.

The actress who played the security chief did it well. I've seen in her other SciFi though and she does bitchface so well.

**edit**
Oh, the actress who plays cadet Tilly was able to portray a convincing Mirror self too.
Last edited by chimaican on Jan 30th, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9944 posts
2177 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:44 am
You couldn't see it but inside the agony booths were monitors playing Discovery episodes and Last Jedi on an endless loop
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 11:43 am
You couldn't see it but inside the agony booths were monitors playing Discovery episodes and Last Jedi on an endless loop
Meta!

This is why I found it weird to see the Empress as being somewhat moderate.
Certainly she has done insane evil things during her tenure.

I guess that was why I was hoping Mirror Lorca would have more depth.
His motivation for returning seemed kinda flat (I must return, above all costs, because the emperor must be deposed, because she is not racist enough).
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1755 posts
585 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm just going to just throw this out there. If the Federation wanted to win the war in the beginning of season 1 wouldn't it be better to have Discovery teleport with the spore drive to known Klingon ship yards, supply lines, and anything of value and destroy them? Heck even head to the homeworld "Kronos" and destroy their orbital defenses and lay down some photon torpedoes into military installations on the planet. With Lorca being from the other "side" and in commend I don't see him having qualms over it and even not adhering to orders and just excuse it as "war".
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4651 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto
DDHLeigh wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 7:12 pm
I'm just going to just throw this out there. If the Federation wanted to win the war in the beginning of season 1 wouldn't it be better to have Discovery teleport with the spore drive to known Klingon ship yards, supply lines, and anything of value and destroy them? Heck even head to the homeworld "Kronos" and destroy their orbital defenses and lay down some photon torpedoes into military installations on the planet. With Lorca being from the other "side" and in commend I don't see him having qualms over it and even not adhering to orders and just excuse it as "war".
Feds prob wanted to win this peacefully
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17924 posts
1492 upvotes
Niagara Falls
DDHLeigh wrote:
The Federation wasn't fully aware of what the store drive could do. The one ship blew up, the other one was under Lorcad command so he might have not given full detail.

Also, I'm not sure the Federation knows where the Klingons ship yards were. Thier airspace was pretty secretive and guarded.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4710 posts
892 upvotes
The pacing of this show is all messed up. Star Trek for millennials?

TOS = Original Trek
TNG = Updated Original Trek
DS9 = Battle Trek
Voyager = Explorer Trek
Enterprise = Adventure Trek
Discovery = ??? ADHD Trek
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3771 posts
393 upvotes
Ottawa
chimaican wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 11:39 am
What I mean is I feel that the actors didn't portray enough barbarism. Just feel when compared to the portrayals on TOS and ENT, I just didn't feel the same level of deceitfulness and malice. I imagined the emporer would be more menacing.

The actress who played the security chief did it well. I've seen in her other SciFi though and she does bitchface so well.

**edit**
Oh, the actress who plays cadet Tilly was able to portray a convincing Mirror self too.
The fact that some mirror characters didn't seem to be pure "evil" could reflect the fact that many regular universe characters weren't pure "good" but rather were multifaceted.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15795 posts
2110 upvotes
Toronto
DDHLeigh wrote:
It's one fragile science ship with superweapon-level technology on board. They're not going to risk hitting fortified targets with it. The way it's used in the show is consistent with its mission of researching and developing the drive technology while hitting lightly defended targets of opportunity and performing covert intelligence missions in difficult areas.

The end goal isn't to use it as a battlecruiser, but rather to develop the next generation of engines to put in future battlecruisers so those can perform decisive strikes against fortified targets.
TodayHello wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:19 pm
The pacing of this show is all messed up. Star Trek for millennials?

TOS = Original Trek
TNG = Updated Original Trek
DS9 = Battle Trek
Voyager = Explorer Trek
Enterprise = Adventure Trek
Discovery = ??? ADHD Trek
It's suffering from Game of Thrones syndrome (specifically recent seasons). Too much focus on conflict, war, and empty action, but very little emphasis placed on world building, drama, social messages, or showing a positive road forward the way the previous Treks did. The Orville is a better Star Trek show than Discovery is.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19990 posts
2170 upvotes
Montreal
Talamasca wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:03 am
No of course not, It's Michelle Yeoh! She's phenomenal. Jason Isaacs said she learned and nailed the action choreography perfectly in their fight scenes. She even gave the prop department tips on how to build a better Emperor's sword.

We've come a long way since Kirk-fu and the Trek Double Fisted Hammer of Doom.
Ahh the good old days. You could smell the Hai Karate through the screen.

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19990 posts
2170 upvotes
Montreal
chimaican wrote:
Jan 30th, 2018 10:44 am
How do your ganglia taste?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1173 posts
350 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 10:58 am
How do your ganglia taste?
Dipped in some garlic butter and sprinkled with fresh parmesan - quite delicious. Perhaps served with some grilled Andorian antennae?
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Well - this last episode was kinda meh.

Guess it was meant to clarify previous reveals, and set-up the finale.