None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8495 posts
1164 upvotes
Victoria
astrotrain wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 4:07 pm
^^ yeah, I remember that guy from Hell on Wheels, good actor, adds some weight to the character. The rest of the cast can't say the same. Boring, unatractive, uninteresting characters. could care less if any of the them got red shirt. I loathe that shemale playing spock's sister, all the way back to her days on the walking dead. Terrible actress with that annoying bemuse head crook look she gives everytime like a pickle up her ***. This show destroyed everything we knew about Trek before, spock had a bastard sister? really? No mention of that it the original series or the dozens of movies and other shows preceding. and a lame arse sister like that to boot.
Faster than warp travel, in a blink of an eye can travel to anywhere in the universe on a cloud of jello, really? Where was that drive when Voyager was stuck for 8 years getting home? and don't get me started on that wizz kid can solve the equations of the universe in 2 seconds, weight watchers candidate . . . oh, lord

I can see why many of the reviews on this show suck so bad, they threw piss at all the original die hard fans.
Given that we never found out about Sybok until ST:V, I can forgive the missing sibling thing. That being said. If Spock and Burnham grew up together, where's Sybok? I thought he was older than spock and they grew up together? They treat spock like he's only child?

Plot holes aside, I am enjoying the show.
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
32 upvotes
I am hooked on discovery. This new season has been great! I didn't really understand Captain Pikes stance with the humans from the other world.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1739 posts
379 upvotes
zod wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 9:39 pm
Given that we never found out about Sybok until ST:V, I can forgive the missing sibling thing. That being said. If Spock and Burnham grew up together, where's Sybok? I thought he was older than spock and they grew up together? They treat spock like he's only child?

Plot holes aside, I am enjoying the show.
good one, I totally forgot about that brother character, probably becus that movie sucked so bad. lol

what really irks me is how this show will revise potentially everything we knew about Spock, in particular how this greatest gift to humanity (oh, the hell with it, the greatest incarnation of living matter in the universe) Michael shemale transformed dear old Spock to everything he will become and everything we knew about him. To me that is a great traversy since what I think of the weird hairdo shemale. God, her face and that weird arse hair makes me loathe and rage . . . kill her off and I be hooked on the show.

I hope they focus more on Pike but didn't Pike die of some strange rapid old age disease then command got transferred to Kirk? memory hazy
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3834 posts
1331 upvotes
Global Village
jon991 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 9:50 pm
I am hooked on discovery. This new season has been great! I didn't really understand Captain Pikes stance with the humans from the other world.
It's the Prime Directive, you don't interfere with the development of new civilizations starfleet encounters, no exceptions.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4467 posts
1732 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 10:18 pm
It's the Prime Directive, you don't interfere with the development of new civilizations starfleet encounters, no exceptions.
Except Pike give them a long lasting powercell, which breaks the prime directive. Pike could have easily found the camera and took it without needing to do an exchange.
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
32 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 10:18 pm
Would these people be considered a new civilization? Where does one draw the line?
Dec 20, 2018
905 posts
769 upvotes
jon991 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 10:53 pm
Would these people be considered a new civilization? Where does one draw the line?
They are prewarp so Prime directive applies even though they are humans
Dec 20, 2018
905 posts
769 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 10:42 pm
Except Pike give them a long lasting powercell, which breaks the prime directive. Pike could have easily found the camera and took it without needing to do an exchange.
There won't be much star trek shows if captains don't break the prime directive. Earth wouldn't even exist if Picard adhered to Prime directive in first contact
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4316 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa
jon991 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 10:53 pm
From what I understand of the Star Trek universe, the "Prime Directive" applies to civilizations that have not developed faster-than-light drive (warp drive or other). I guess it goes under the assumption that once a civilization develops it, they are going to run into other cultures anyway.
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
32 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 11:04 pm
From what I understand of the Star Trek universe, the "Prime Directive" applies to civilizations that have not developed faster-than-light drive (warp drive or other). I guess it goes under the assumption that once a civilization develops it, they are going to run into other cultures anyway.
I thought of them more as "lost in space," so they should have been rescued. Though not feasible given their distance from the federation.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11387 posts
1261 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
astrotrain wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 10:14 pm
I hope they focus more on Pike but didn't Pike die of some strange rapid old age disease then command got transferred to Kirk? memory hazy
He was crippled saving a bunch of his crew (actually, it could have been cadets) from some radiation. Refer to the episodes "The Menagerie", parts one and two.

I think Pike moved on from being a starship commander, but the accident wasn't why Kirk got command.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11387 posts
1261 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
After the best episode of Star Trek in a very long time, they back it up with a big turd. I hope it was just to set up the new series because I don't want to see Ash (although, I guess he will be in the new series) or that Blingon storyline again. Always great to see Georgiou, though.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2755 posts
511 upvotes
Tonight's episode was good! The twist was a pleasant surprise! ...........spoiler............................................................................................. at least it wasn't Lorca..
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1787 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
coilz wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 10:59 pm
Tonight's episode was good! The twist was a pleasant surprise! ...........spoiler............................................................................................. at least it wasn't Lorca..
It wasn't horrible... I just don't understand why they try to cram so many threads and things all together in one episode..

IMO " new Eden" was pretty good while the rest of the episodes are mediocre but not horrible..

I will watch because it is Star trek.. I just think there are too many storylines /threads they have going on ... None of which are really too interesting or well thought out..

I love the production value of the series...and I also am not against the entire premise.. I just think the quality of writing and story telling is far inferior to the older classic trek series.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2115 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
I miss Lorca, and was found how they resolved him dissapointing. Once the truth about him was revealed, he became rather 2 dimensional in his bad guy motivations.

Unless I am mistaken, they could still find a way to write in regular universe Lorca, but it would be super contrived considering how much they have flogged the dead or not dead angle in this series.

Have enjoyed this season, but have not been blown away. So far, my favourite was the minisode with space Dwight Schrut, which was just loads of fun.

Still feels weird to have such skimp exposition with the bridge crew background characters, but recognize they have so much more ground to cover with these shorter seasons. The minisodes would be a good way to offer some tidbits, and I hope they pursue this.