Entertainment

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (formerly Episode VIII) December 15 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 9:59 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Is Jedi in the title plural or singular?

• Total votes: 47. You have voted on this poll.
Singular

38%
Plural

30%
*sigh* -- the things nerds concern themselves with

32%

This poll will close on Dec 5th, 2017 9:52 pm.

Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1150 posts
261 upvotes
Have to settle for fake IMAX (Lie-Max) at Empress Walk for my Thursday opening night screening. Wasn't ready last night and was too slow to get good seats for all 3 of the Holy Trinity (Scotiabank, Vaughan, Mississauga) of IMAX theatres in the GTA. Second viewing will definitely be in one of the real IMAX theatres. Still gonna try to score tickets for the free rush screening that they do each year which is usually the Wednesday night before the first public screening on Thursday night. Was very lucky the previous 2 years in a row. Hope 3 times is really a charm! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Dec 13, 2016
941 posts
728 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:02 am
Not sure how I feel about them casting Rey and Kylo as more powerful than Luke. Luke is the most powerful ever, it is known. Other than that, looks great.

How do?
Because The Force Awakens was hideous and this seems to be no different.

The main problem I have are the actors. Hayden Christensen in comparison should have won an Oscar comparing to these jokers.

The Music was much, much better in the prequels. You can see that John Williams doesn't give a flyin' about these movies. Watch some documentaries and interactions between him and Lucas. Williams was really like almost directing these. I doubt he has much input in these movies. The only part where his music gets better and really has signature is at the end when Ray meets Luke. Coincidence?

Jar Jar Abrams showed you a finger with his movie and so many "fans" fell for it.

BTW, I absolutely love Rouge One which is still the part of new star wars, but not to be confused with this pile of dung.
May 22, 2016
758 posts
98 upvotes
Ontario
Great trailer. Looks like this might be the 2nd best movie after empire. Nice cinematography.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16622 posts
356 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:35 pm
Because The Force Awakens was hideous and this seems to be no different.

The main problem I have are the actors. Hayden Christensen in comparison should have won an Oscar comparing to these jokers.

The Music was much, much better in the prequels. You can see that John Williams doesn't give a flyin' about these movies. Watch some documentaries and interactions between him and Lucas. Williams was really like almost directing these. I doubt he has much input in these movies. The only part where his music gets better and really has signature is at the end when Ray meets Luke. Coincidence?

Jar Jar Abrams showed you a finger with his movie and so many "fans" fell for it.

BTW, I absolutely love Rouge One which is still the part of new star wars, but not to be confused with this pile of dung.
Well, you are welcome to your opinion. I didn't think EP 7 was amazing but I wouldn't call it dung. To each their own.

Rogue one was amazing I agree.
Dec 13, 2016
941 posts
728 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:29 pm
Great trailer. Looks like this might be the 2nd best movie after empire. Nice cinematography.
That's hilarious.

Stubbornly repeated by fans since 1999. "Better than the empire!"....which of course 3 months later after everyone digests the truth turns out to be yet another disappointment.

Btw, was that a Pokemon in the millennium falcon?

Lol
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1285 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
I'll bet Snoke is talking about Rey in the monologue in the preview. They make you think he's thinking about Kylo but I think he's really after Rey.

My theory is Luke was training all these new young Jedi, Rey included in the bunch. He sees the strength of the force within her and has visions of her joining the darkside. They were probably training at some point where she lost it and she killed Luke's other students. Luke sees this as a forewarning so he wipes her memory and ditches her on Jakku. He goes into hiding so that nobody finds out about Rey. Thats why when Rey finds Luke on that island, dude is sh**** in his pants.

Thats just my theory...dunno how Kylo Ren fits into all of this besides wanting to kill his parents to be fully with the darkside. But I think he turns to the light eventually.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1150 posts
261 upvotes
Fabfive wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:32 am
I'll bet Snoke is talking about Rey in the monologue in the preview. They make you think he's thinking about Kylo but I think he's really after Rey.

My theory is Luke was training all these new young Jedi, Rey included in the bunch. He sees the strength of the force within her and has visions of her joining the darkside. They were probably training at some point where she lost it and she killed Luke's other students. Luke sees this as a forewarning so he wipes her memory and ditches her on Jakku. He goes into hiding so that nobody finds out about Rey. Thats why when Rey finds Luke on that island, dude is sh**** in his pants.

Thats just my theory...dunno how Kylo Ren fits into all of this besides wanting to kill his parents to be fully with the darkside. But I think he turns to the light eventually.
I think your theory is a pretty good one, except if you rewatch Episode 7, Han specifically says that Luke's apprentice that turned on him was a "boy". I even watched that part with the closed caption to make sure I'm not just hearing it, but seeing it text. LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1285 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:39 am
I think your theory is a pretty good one, except if you rewatch Episode 7, Han specifically says that Luke's apprentice that turned on him was a "boy". I even watched that part with the closed caption to make sure I'm not just hearing it, but seeing it text. LOL
well that throws my theory out the window then. Thanks for clearing that up!
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4261 posts
433 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:14 am

Btw, was that a Pokemon in the millennium falcon?

Lol
probably Chewbacca's wife
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14096 posts
1502 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:20 pm
That creature in the falcon sure looks crappy.
It really was terrible CGI. A major studio like this can do much better these days.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8619 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto
trini wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:20 pm
That creature in the falcon sure looks crappy.
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:16 am
It really was terrible CGI. A major studio like this can do much better these days.
I agree it didn't look great but it looked like a puppet to me

Jul 4, 2017
29 posts
14 upvotes
I loved that new trailer and I will probably watch Ep7 and rogue one again before watching the last jedi :D
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4410 posts
2055 upvotes
Vancouver
What is 100% for certain is that The Last Jedi is going to be a very dark movie, similar to The Empire Strikes back. Because of this, I am very much looking forward to it. The audience will be left with more questions at the end of the movie than they have at the start of the movie - just like Empire Strikes Back. There is likely going to be some huge bombshell too, someone no one will see coming and something that is unlikely to have leaked. It could be something to do with Kylo Ren or Snoke, because he has a helmet and Snoke is digitalized... and therefore, just like Darth Vader, it is possible for the crew to film an entire scene with them without revealing the secret. I remember reading that very few people knew what Darth Vader said to Luke in Empire Strikes Back, it was a huge secret.

As for the people saying that it's stupid that Luke is weaker than Kylo or Rey, that is only partially true. We are going to witness TWO Luke Skywalkers in this movie. We are going to see a flashback Luke, from years ago, when he was running the Jedi Temple. This is going to be a younger Luke, very powerful. When Kylo Ren destroys the jedi temple, we are going to see an amazing battle I think. Clearly Luke Skywalker kicks some major ass here because he is going to not only take on Kylo Ren, but all of his Knights of Ren too. So don't worry - you will get to see your ultra powerful Luke Skywalker kick some ass with a lightsaber, potentially fighting numerous people at once.

Then... there is going to be the weaker Luke Skywalker, who has lived in seclusion on his island for many years. This is similar to the differences between ANH Obi-Wan and ROTS Obi-Wan... night and day. So this older Luke Skywalker will likely not be as strong anymore, and he will be eventually outmatched by Kylo Ren and Rey. It's not that they are more powerful than him overall, it's just that Luke is old now and broken. Young Luke Skywalker would easily have handled Kylo Ren, as we will probably see in the flashbacks.

Me personally, I hope we see some VERY detailed backstory. Like 10-15 minutes. I think that's what everyone wants. Backstory to fill in the gaps between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There is a huge gap there, something like 30 years, and the audience needs to know what happened in those 30 years.