8489 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
Premieres Saturday on Disney XD in Canada

Jun 15, 2011
38402 posts
5524 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Am I missing something here - I didn't realize it was out. Season 3. 7 episodes to catch up.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
It's been good. My only complaint is not enough Thrawn!
Baaaaaaaaa!
Jun 15, 2011
38402 posts
5524 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 10:47 pm
It's been good. My only complaint is not enough Thrawn!
If you don't mind me asking, is Thrawn from the canon series? I've never heard of him at all. Watching the episodes, he seems to be an interesting character for sure.

Although I am looking forward to Maul finding you know who. Love the Bendu though.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 9:11 pm
If you don't mind me asking, is Thrawn from the canon series? I've never heard of him at all. Watching the episodes, he seems to be an interesting character for sure.

Although I am looking forward to Maul finding you know who. Love the Bendu though.
Thrawn was one of the main villians in the "Heir to be Empire" trilogy of books. Many fans considered the trilogy to be EP7/8/9 of Star Wars. Unfortunately, those books are no longer canon, but Thrawn was so popular that Disney decided to bring him into Rebels to make him canon.

I highly recommend that series if you haven't read it already. Thrawn is a complete badass in the books.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
djemzine wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 9:11 pm

A few years after Return of the Jedi came out back in 1983, a whole slew of novels were written and approved by George Lucas. He gave 3rd party authors full reign of where to take it, to continue the Star Wars saga. One of those authors is Timothy Zahn. In 1991 he released the Heir to the Empire series of books that took place shortly after ROTJ. In it was an alien character named Admiral Thrawn, of the Chiss species. Like sharpshooter88 said, Thrawn became the villain for the New Republic to beat and was/is such iconic that his legacy has lived on all these years in the hardcore Star Wars fans hearts and minds. Not to mention, Timothy Zahn also created Mara Jade whom was Force-sensitve assassin of the Empire. She would eventually become Luke Skywalker's wife...

Anyway, when Disney bought out Lucas for SW, they wiped out (all of them) almost 3 decades worth of literary works by every author that continued the SW legacy, effectively resetting everything - novels, video games, comics, all of it gone. Disney is pretty smart in that they can effectively draw on characters and stories created in the wiped out universe for their future content, maybe not following it exactly but they'd be able to use it as inspiration. I.e. Thrawn in this show.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4771 posts
205 upvotes
Guelph
except the direction they decided to go with the force awakens puts a bad taste in my mouth. i would of rather seen a live action thrawn trilogy. maybe one day someone will come along and make straight to dvd/blu ray animated movies based on the EU, giving an alternative to what disney is doing with episode 7 and beyond.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
brandonl wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 9:48 pm
except the direction they decided to go with the force awakens puts a bad taste in my mouth. i would of rather seen a live action thrawn trilogy. maybe one day someone will come along and make straight to dvd/blu ray animated movies based on the EU, giving an alternative to what disney is doing with episode 7 and beyond.
Same here, Episode 7 is exactly Episode 4 with new characters. Ahh, what could have been. Although, they did purposely has it set 30 years after ROTJ, so that leaves a huge blank canvas in between that Disney could prequel to death!

Disney is pretty anal when it comes to their intellectual property, so I'm surprise that they allowed Thrawn to be included in Rebels. I would wager that Dave Filoni pushed hard for it to include him.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7279 posts
710 upvotes
Victoria
brandonl wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 9:48 pm
I think the problem with the Thrawn trilogy is that they waited too long. The gap between RotJ and Episode VII was 30ish years, but the gap between RotJ and that trilogy was much shorter. They kind of lost the window to do it (unless they recasted).

I quite enjoyed episode VII when it came out. The 2nd and 3rd declined that enjoyment alot more. I enjoyed the stuff with the new cast the most. The cheesy stuff with the Monster on Han Solo's cargo ship, finding out the universe crapped on the original cast, and then to have Han Solo die. Meh. Not the worst Star Wars movie, but I'd at least rate Revenge of the Sith as better than it.

I'm hoping now they they assembled the pieces in VII they'll figure out something original to do in VIII. There's 7 Star Wars movies, and in 4 of them they had destroy some kind of big space weapon at the end. TPM had the big droid controller ship. IV and VI and the Death Stars, and then the Death Planet. Surely they can think of something new :)
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4771 posts
205 upvotes
Guelph
i got something new for ya.....a knights of the old republic trilogy.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1132 posts
159 upvotes
brandonl wrote:
Nov 16th, 2016 9:31 pm
i got something new for ya.....a knights of the old republic trilogy.
Sign me up for that. There's some good material to work with there.
Baaaaaaaaa!