• Mar 9th, 2018 10:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4770 posts
210 upvotes
Guelph
its got me more interested after seeing that!
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
So I just saw the first two episodes last night, and I have to say it's not bad. It's a little empty, and still is a kid's show, but it seems to be following in the footsteps of the Clone Wars animated series. It's good to see the Empire, TIE fighters, etc again in new content.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Mr. Robo wrote: When does this show start?
Apparently it's supposed to debut tomorrow, but the first two episodes are already out on the streaming sites.
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17417 posts
12772 upvotes
Toronto
Mr. Robo wrote: When does this show start?
I see something called 'Star Wars Rebels:Spark of the Rebellion' airing on Family Channel tonight at 9pm EST
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
I hope the series has repeats as it will conflict with shows I watch on Monday night like Sleepy Hollow.

1/2 hour to the premiere. Time to gear up for it...

10 PM:

Okay. How to put my finger on it...

Seems like a much more juvenile version of Star Wars. Sure, it was the pilot. Would have to go back and check Clone Wars pilot to compare.

Many things irritated me:

Troopers that still can't fire straight. No hits against the heroes even at point blank range including cannon hits. Their ship must be impervious to everything since even shots from tie fighters seemed to have no effect. What's with the David Selby look to the bad guy officer? Homage to Dark Shadows maybe? But, I need to watch more. Hoping the eventual movies make use of these characters. I don't want to see them just disappear once the new films are released. Maybe I'm just nit picking though.

Opinions of the first episode?
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3486 upvotes
Victoria
I thought it was decent. It's a cartoon so I don't think it's target audience is only adults. I'd have to say that I thought it was better than the clone wars pilot movie (which was pretty bad and resulted in a lot of people not giving the show chance).

The animation looked similar in tone to the clone wars show. Is it the same team doing this show? Clone Wars tried to hit both demographics. They do story arcs that were clearly aimed at kids (like the ones that focus on robots or jar jar) and ones that were geared towards an older audience. They also had many that both would enjoy. Hopefully Rebels can do the same thing.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Just watched the 1 hour series premiere. Hm, better than I expected.

But man oh man, looking back, Darth Vader and his Jedi hunting abilities suck. It seems like there's always, always a hidden Jedi somewhere.

I wonder if we'll eventually meet Starkiller from the Force Unleashed games, as that timeline continuity takes place right before the Rebel Alliance was formed - and this show bridges the gaps between Eps III and Episode IV.

It was great to see James Arnold Taylor back in his Clone Wars character, even if it was a "pre-recorded" cameo - I hope to see more of his character in the series! :)
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3486 upvotes
Victoria
We never actually see Darth Vader hunt down any Jedi. The way it's been portrayed on screen had him decimate the Jedi Temple and a bunch of Padawan's, but it was the clone troopers and Order 66 that did most of the dirty work.

Perhaps Rebels has the potential to leave a number of Jedi in play so we can see Vader hunt them all down? :) What's the time period on this cartoon? It takes place between episodes III and IV, but that's a 20 year gap..... I would have to imagine after RoTS that there were a number of Jedi left who weren't near clone troopers when **** hit the fan. Maybe some of them joined the rebellion as per this cartoon, and maybe some of them went into deep dark hiding like Yoda.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Second episode is out online
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Second episode is out online
Thanks. Didn't know it was out already...
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
DougO wrote: Thanks. Didn't know it was out already...
Hence, what I meant by 1 hour series premiere. (Episode 1 and 2 have aired.)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
CSAgent wrote: Hence, what I meant by 1 hour series premiere. (Episode 1 and 2 have aired.)
I'm referring to episode '3', a half hour one called 'Droids in distress'
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
It will also be out on DVD in something like a week.

I'm wondering why all the name dropping, ie. using characters from previous series to somehow sell this one? Should be able to stand on its own but here we are 2 episodes in and they are already at it.

In response to the other query, yes they are using the same staff as Clone Wars that just ended but the artwork, etc. is more Ralph McQuarrie instead of Gerry Anderson.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)