• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 10:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 16, 2004
385 posts

Star Wars t.v. series coming soon

George Lucas has comfirmed (at celebration 3) that he is working on 2 t.v. series, 1 is 3-D animation (30 minute episodes) and the other will be live action. The live action series will have characters from episode 3, but not the main characters. He plans on writing the entire first season for the live action series before filming begins.
Wonder what stations are going to carry these series.

24 more days until ROTS opens in theatres
"God is my favourite fictional character" :cheesygri
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1987 posts
8 upvotes
I wouldn't be surprised if Fox gets them...

Anyhoo, the fact that he's writing them is pretty scary...
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1878 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
I'd actually like this. We can have the entire beginnings of the Empire and eventually the Empire and the formation of the Rebel Alliance, etc.

Everybody knows that's the best part of the universe. And you don't even need to see any major characters like Vader. He's just one guy in an empire after all. I don't know how they'd work in Jedi's though. There are only a few dozen surviving and we'll never see Obi Wan or Yoda.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
1527 posts
3 upvotes
didn't anyone else watch the Ewoks or Droids cartoon series' when they were kids?

I never really liked Droids but Ewoks was good :D
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1235 posts
91 upvotes
You know, I was always violently opposed to any TV related SW continuations - but then I watched the Clone Wars cartoons, and I have to admit that I was impressed. Obviously the cartoon was super exagerated, but still, they did a really good job, they didn't detract from the spirit of Star Wars.

However, a live action TV series worries me - how could they possibly keep up the effects to keep them on par with the movies? I fear a cheezy Star Trek calibre of effects, and that would really bum me out...
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Spare-Flair wrote:I'd actually like this. We can have the entire beginnings of the Empire and eventually the Empire and the formation of the Rebel Alliance, etc.

Everybody knows that's the best part of the universe. And you don't even need to see any major characters like Vader. He's just one guy in an empire after all. I don't know how they'd work in Jedi's though. There are only a few dozen surviving and we'll never see Obi Wan or Yoda.
It would be fantastic, if done well...and that's where the problem is. George Lucas shouldn't write or direct; he should let more talented people handle it, and just nod his head when they do it right.
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1564 posts
28 upvotes
I just heard that George Lucas will appear on The OC on May 12. Apparently he'll be giving advice to Seth about something haha.

Wonder if they'll have any Star Wars promos running during the airing of this episode..I bet CTV will kindly cut off the Canadian feed again :cheesygri
[OP]
Jul 16, 2004
385 posts
It was rumours up to sunday when Lucas comfirmed the 2 shows.

He will write season one all at once for the live action (1 hour episodes) than film it all at once. He has comfirmed 100 episodes so far for the series. He hopes to begin production in about a year.
Season 1 sounds like it will be filmed similarly to the way he films his star wars movies.
"God is my favourite fictional character" :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2069 posts
351 upvotes
I would like to see more of a mini series based off of the many many novels. Especially the Zahn trilogy about Thrawn and Rogue squadron.
May 4, 2004
71 posts
1 upvote
Several of you have said it right....This could be awesome...IF DONE RIGHT! The other thing is that in order to perserve the franchise, the people running the series would definitely need to know when to quit, and not fall into the Law and Order/ CSI trap of having too many spin off shows. The Star Wars universe is a huge opportunity...that can very easily fall apart if not handled properly. Look at the many attempts for cartoon series that bombed in comparision to the successes. How many video games over the years were terrible compared to the ones that ended up successful. I love the idea of a TV series, I love the idea of a mini-series, but it needs to be done with extreme caution or it could be a terrible flop!
Common sense is no longer common...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8720 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto
Recent rumours of Netflix getting involved with this long dormant project surfaced in December
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-tv-show/

Today, TVLine offered a rebuttal with quotes from ABC pres and an unnamed industry insider

http://tvline.com/2016/01/22/star-wars- ... c-netflix/

Yes the thread is over a decade old but the internet is forever and enjoy the history
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4771 posts
205 upvotes
Guelph
i want a knights of the old republic animated show as well as a tv show that focus on retelling stories from the EU. im not sure if disney would allow either of those despite the fact fans would drool over both. could you imagine the thrawn trilogy being retold in animted form like the clone wars or rebels? OMG :cheesygri