Starbucks stars expiring

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2017 12:17 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2010
237 posts
21 upvotes

Starbucks stars expiring

Received an email saying that some of my reward stars are expiring Feb 1, and just noticed they also removed some Jan 1. This is now illegal in Ontario but I'm not an Ontario resident. Wondering if any Ontario residents also had stars expire (i.e., whether they're still expiring them everywhere else, or whether they just haven't updated their systems).
44 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2081 posts
326 upvotes
i stopped going to starbucks regularly but i did notice that some stars disappearing on the 1st...i don't care enough to inquire and will just stop going to them entirely

i'm in ontario
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7538 posts
365 upvotes
Canada
Yup, all my gold status stars expired.

I stopped going to Starbucks altogether once they implemented their new star system.

In Ontario as well.

I am not sure if the whole points not being allowed to expire is valid here.
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10912 posts
1485 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why did the stars expire on different dates?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2010
237 posts
21 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 2:51 pm
Why did the stars expire on different dates?
They expire 6 months after being earned. After taking into account how they devalued the stars program last year, if you spend less than $10/month at starbucks you'll never actually earn a free drink.
I am not sure if the whole points not being allowed to expire is valid here.
Most of the coverage on Ontario's law was about Airmiles, but starbucks stars would be covered too. On that page, starbucks says that stars in Ontario will no longer expire, but they waffled on the rest of Canada.
Nov 23, 2012
346 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
I only go to starbucks when there is bonus stars. On average I spend $10 to get 125 stars.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1939 posts
302 upvotes
Oshawa
Your app actually shows the expiring stars ... this policy on the Starbucks Stars changed last year when they changed the way to accumulate stars on your purchases ...

It's not that they never told you ... it's you that never paid attention.

All companies make adjustments to their "loyalty" program ... most of the time making them less favourable ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
Oct 27, 2004
899 posts
56 upvotes
I haven't stepped into a Starbucks since the program changed. All the stars could have expired off my "Gold" card, and I couldn't care less.

In fact, I just checked to find that I still have $35 on my card! I guess I should use that up sometime soon before they figure out how to "expire" my money.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1024 posts
656 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Better to check the app regularly, it shows how many stars going to expire and when
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4611 posts
1077 upvotes
North York
I actually find the email offers way better after Starbucks implemented the new reward system.
Oct 20, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 3:39 pm
I actually find the email offers way better after Starbucks implemented the new reward system.
I second that. I used to buy 12 coffees to get a free drink, but now with all the email offers and "Star Dashes" I buy like 6-7 and get enough for a free drink! That's effectively spending less than $15 to get a free $5+ drink. Can't complain about that.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3231 posts
660 upvotes
Mississauga
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 3:39 pm
Exactly. I get many offers of around 30 bonus stars for a purchase. That means 4 purchases for a freebie.

Some people just like complaining.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23338 posts
1083 upvotes
Markham, ON
give call to customer service...pretty sure they can add it back
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1540 posts
755 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Yeah, I only buy when I get those offers especially the star dashes and bonus stars per order. Literally 3-4 drinks and you get 125 stars.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.