Starbucks stars expiring

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:34 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3465 posts
937 upvotes
Moncton
Assuming you are hungry and would be eating out somewhere else, you can extract more value out of the stars by opting for a sandwich. Especially with sales tax at 15% like here in New Brunswick, pretty easy to get a $8 sandwich out of 125 stars. That is 6 cents per star, or 12 cents per dollar spent (per $1.15 with tax here in NB). Your tall/medium brewed coffee just got cheaper than Tim Hortons.

By the way, I can't find a clear answer to if they use cheaper robusta coffee as part of their blends. At home, I switched to store brand robusta after realizing my tastebuds had adjusted to the stronger taste. And I wonder if drinking Starbucks has contributed. Robusta has more caffeine.

The secret to Tim Hortons coffee tasting great is the freshness of the brewed coffee. But I do believe they use the more expensive Aribica beens exclusively.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2780 posts
697 upvotes
Vancouver
In the latest update of the app I cannot find star expiration. Did they get rid of this?

Ron.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3465 posts
937 upvotes
Moncton
lewin00 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2017 3:11 pm
if you spend less than $10/month at starbucks you'll never actually earn a free drink.
There are so many bonus stars that that is simply not true. Also, assuming you are hungry, you should opt for the free sandwich. With tax, that's like an $8 value in. Done right, Starbucks is actually cheaper than Tim Hortons.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4229 posts
372 upvotes
Markham
Inside app Q&A, they still say expire after 6 months
Jul 12, 2015
99 posts
12 upvotes
Brampton, ON
MonctonMan wrote:
Jun 13th, 2017 11:43 pm
There are so many bonus stars that that is simply not true. Also, assuming you are hungry, you should opt for the free sandwich. With tax, that's like an $8 value in. Done right, Starbucks is actually cheaper than Tim Hortons.
The bonus promotions get worse the more often you go it seems. My co-workers promotion values are way worse than mine (he goes on the weekend as well), and I noticed over the months, mine are getting less value too.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23410 posts
1107 upvotes
Markham, ON
Purplenim wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 9:36 am
The bonus promotions get worse the more often you go it seems. My co-workers promotion values are way worse than mine (he goes on the weekend as well), and I noticed over the months, mine are getting less value too.

that's why I have had multiple accounts :) Once the offers are crap...go to the other account...repeat. THOSE GOOFBALLS always make fun of me why i have "name+hotmail/gmail" etc on my name...every time I have to tell them that it helps to keep track of my accounts. then they ask why I have multiple accounts...cause their f'ing computer logarithms dont reward loyalty...(because their company metrics rely on number of active users)
Jan 30, 2008
562 posts
89 upvotes
newfbc wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 3:04 pm
In the latest update of the app I cannot find star expiration. Did they get rid of this?

Ron.
I think so. Kinda bullshit. :(
Jul 7, 2013
11 posts
Toronto
newfbc wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 3:04 pm

Ron.
I noticed this too. I can't find star expiry information anywhere on their account info website either.

I tend to hoard my stars, so I rely on that info to let me know when stars are going to expire. I wonder why they've removed it?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2780 posts
697 upvotes
Vancouver
Firefox444 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 12:20 pm
I noticed this too. I can't find star expiry information anywhere on their account info website either.

I tend to hoard my stars, so I rely on that info to let me know when stars are going to expire. I wonder why they've removed it?
Probably because of the new law in Ontario.. no longer allowed to expire. It would make sense for Starbucks to do it nationally.

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7915 posts
959 upvotes
Markham
Therefore, our stars wont get expire then? (in ON)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jul 17, 2003
20 posts
5 upvotes
Surrey
I'm wondering the same thing. Should I login and update my address to an Ontario address? :)
Jul 7, 2013
11 posts
Toronto
Most likely. Here's an article from December with a quote from Starbucks Canada:

Starbucks to nix expiry policy

Once the legislation is enforced, Starbucks customers — at least in Ontario — will no longer have to worry about their rewards points, known as stars, expiring. Currently, people who collect stars have six months to use them before they vanish. CBC News asked the U.S. coffeehouse giant how it will deal with its expiry rule and returning to Ontario customers any points they lost since October. Starbucks Canada confirmed it will have to change the rules. The company will offer further details "in the coming weeks/months," said spokeswoman Madeleine Löwenborg-Frick in an email. She didn't say if Starbucks Canada will opt to cancel its expiry policy, nationwide.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ontario ... -1.3888131
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
5717 posts
156 upvotes
Always wondered the same thing when I couldn't find the expiration information. Just assumed it would never expire =)
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3433 posts
4437 upvotes
Ontario
Ah, my bonus stars earned in the Starbucks Road Trip game + existing stars from purchases disappeared by my May 1-year anniversary date. I recall I had to hit a certain number of stars (300)before the anniversary date in order to attain Gold Level for the free birthday rewards. So I'm at 0 stars now as I have not purchased anything with my registered card (I just checked my card status).
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!
Mar 23, 2003
939 posts
66 upvotes
maybe old news.. but I see this thread and still like to write here....

my wife just called and confirmed that Starbucks rewards no longer expire... the rep said that it applies to whole Canada.. not sure about if it is true .. but for sure for Ontario...