Starbucks stars expiring

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 5:10 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2723 posts
303 upvotes
Thanks softech.

I was actually pissed off/upset because the app just stopped showing when stars expire and 13-14 rewards to use and couldn't see when I would lose them.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
4616 posts
1081 upvotes
North York
Hmm, I just called Starbucks yesterday asking why I can no longer see when my stars will be expiring, both on the app and online.
The rep didn't know and actually told me I have stars expiring next month.
She even raised a ticket to support. Now that I found this thread, will see what comes back from them then.
Would be nice if the stars no longer expire.
May 26, 2005
862 posts
272 upvotes
Winnipeg
Received from Starbucks today:
Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

I'm truly sorry for the confusion with your Star Expiration no longer appearing. At this time, Stars earned towards free drinks for our Canadian customers will not expire. For this reason, the Star Expiration tabs have been removed from your account. Please know, you will still need to earn at least 300 Stars per year to remain Gold.
Dec 8, 2006
157 posts
1 upvote
Great to hear stars no longer expire for Canadian customers. Does anyone know if Birthday free drinks/food expire within the standard 3 day window?
Dec 2, 2014
36 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LoDown wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 7:10 pm
Great to hear stars no longer expire for Canadian customers. Does anyone know if Birthday free drinks/food expire within the standard 3 day window?
Yes. Birthday reward still expires in 3 days. I got mine a few days ago.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
2705 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 11:54 pm
Hmm, I just called Starbucks yesterday asking why I can no longer see when my stars will be expiring, both on the app and online.
The rep didn't know and actually told me I have stars expiring next month.
She even raised a ticket to support. Now that I found this thread, will see what comes back from them then.
Would be nice if the stars no longer expire.
woo hooo!

i thought i was going crazy, when i couldn't find the tab to see it anymore.
Dec 31, 2006
523 posts
63 upvotes
Kinki wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 2:14 pm
woo hooo!

i thought i was going crazy, when i couldn't find the tab to see it anymore.
same thing with me I just found this from a google search
Mar 1, 2011
1 posts
Hi,
I'm not an ON resident, when my apps stopped showing expiry dates back a few months ago, I contacted Starbucks Customer Care, and their answer was "Canadians stars don't expire anymore", I was like great, left my stars unused, just today I got an email telling me 1,625 of my stars will expire on Nov 6, I was very confused, contacted Starbucks Customer Care again, they said "Only Ontario residents are protected", sorry someone misinformed you. Please spend your 13 items by Nov 6.
My apps and the websites don't show any stars expiring anymore for me, how am I to track my stars before they expire? This is really frustrating.

Does anyone NOT from ON have the same issue?

Thanks,
Dec 4, 2004
384 posts
15 upvotes
Coquitlam
I'm in BC, and I just got an email too saying almost 700 of my stars are expiring on Nov. 6.

Interesting that we both have a large number with have the same expiry date. There's no way. Something is fishy here.
Dec 28, 2008
54 posts
11 upvotes
flowerchild wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 12:13 am
I'm in BC, and I just got an email too saying almost 700 of my stars are expiring on Nov. 6.

Interesting that we both have a large number with have the same expiry date. There's no way. Something is fishy here.
I thought the Nov 6 date was fishy, too, but I seem to recall that that's 6 months from the date the program changed this past spring. So, on May 6, everyone's star "clocks" reset to six months, so that's why we all have the expiry date.

I had commented in a similar thread in the ongoing deals section. I emailed customer service about this yesterday as well (I'm in Alberta). The rep who replied to my email stated "I do not show any Stars expiring in November for your account. You are correct our Ontario customers Stars do not expire.". Strange that different customers are getting different replies I don't plan on spending on my stars in the next three weeks, so I am definitely holding onto this email if/when my stars expire on Nov 6.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3201 posts
849 upvotes
Moncton
Since their sandwiches are relatively pricey, you can extract maximum value from the stars by exchanging them for a free sandwich. Unfortunately, then you are stuck eating the sandwich, which, despite the premium ingredients, isn’t that tasty given the lack of fresh vegetables.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Dec 28, 2008
54 posts
11 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:44 am
Since their sandwiches are relatively pricey, you can extract maximum value from the stars by exchanging them for a free sandwich. Unfortunately, then you are stuck eating the sandwich, which, despite the premium ingredients, isn’t that tasty given the lack of fresh vegetables.
Even better value: try out their salad bowls. Both kinds are $8.95 plus tax in my area.
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
SMurrayNB wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:55 am
Even better value: try out their salad bowls. Both kinds are $8.95 plus tax in my area.
You can look online for all sorts of hacks for the most expensive drink you can order. Just note that a lot of them violate rule #1 which is the drink must fit in a venti cup. I saw someone order a Frappuccino with 10 shots added so the result came out like a coffee ice cream.

One hack I have heard is, have them fill a venti cup with as many ristretto espresso shots will fit. (ristrettos are more concentrated that regular espresso). They can probably get at least 30 shots into the cup, so you're close to $30 value for that order.
Then take that home, freeze it all in ice cube trays then take the cubes out and store in the freezer in ziploc bags. Now you can use those for all sorts of things. Use it to make iced lattes (add milk and stir), americanos (add hot water to a few cubes), coffee ice cream, tiramisu, and so on.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1525 posts
200 upvotes
In BC.
Got the same email that some of my stars will expire Nov 6th. Emailed Starbucks and got a strange answer, due to Ontario Court case, stars don't expire. But in same paragraph, stars expire. After few more emails and call, it was clarified that only Ontario customers do not have expiry stars; rest of Canadian customers will still have stars expire after 6 months.

I asked the lady on the phone what's going on as it's very confusing. Getting different answers from Starbucks.
To be safe, I will change my address profile to my office address in Ontario! Or use up the stars before expiry.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2723 posts
303 upvotes
I'm an ON resident but my Starbucks billing address is in Manitoba, I got the e-mail too. I'm going to call in to get them to stop the star expiry..

Maybe you guys can just change your address on the website.