Food & Drink

Starbucks stars expiring

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 12:34 pm
Aug 25, 2010
192 posts
44 upvotes
I got a bunch of stars expiring on Nov 6 as well. Has anyone changed their address and get the expiry to stop? Everytime, I email them, they say there is an expiry schedule in the app, but there isn't. It is so frustrating.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1794 posts
477 upvotes
Ontario
Not related, but I want to try the psl drink. Any recommendation to adjustments? When I tried the caramel mochiatto it was too sweet. Not sure if psl is super sweet as well. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11023 posts
1521 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ Ask for half-sweet.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2728 posts
303 upvotes
Yeah, you can get half-sweet for all the drinks. Just customize it in the app and use mobile ordering, it is far simpler than trying to explore all the options in store at the checkout.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2728 posts
303 upvotes
live_4ever wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 12:17 pm
I got a bunch of stars expiring on Nov 6 as well. Has anyone changed their address and get the expiry to stop? Everytime, I email them, they say there is an expiry schedule in the app, but there isn't. It is so frustrating.
I'm actually an Ontario resident, so I told them I changed my address and that if they checked my purchase history, they would see all my purchases were from Ontario. I got a response a couple of hours later that told me they checked and my stars would not expire.

Maybe you should keep trying.
Apr 1, 2004
257 posts
86 upvotes
optimus2003 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:13 pm
I'm not sure if this is new but I found this in the app's terms. They will only email you if there are stars expiring soon.

Screenshot_20171026-140607.png
i got the email for Nov 6 as well (i’m in BC)
which is really fishy because I actually use my rewards quite often and do the bonus star dash quite often too

there is no star expiry online, or purchase history more than 3 month
and who keeps track of all coffee purchases in the last year? so there’s no way to verify if that Nov 6 expiry actually correct
(plus it’s super weird how *everyone* is expiring on the same date... did we all make some big purchase on May 6??)

I can’t help but feel this is some kind of corporate tactic to force people to use their stars, or have them expire before the said 6 months
because most people don’t check, or keep track
and without the star expiry, there’s no way to check
Aug 25, 2010
192 posts
44 upvotes
It is frustrating that they are doing this and cannot give us a straight answer.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3025 posts
675 upvotes
Alekxqin wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 5:54 pm
Better to check the app regularly, it shows how many stars going to expire and when
Where in the app do you see this information? Also, if Starbucks has sent me an e-mail saying I have earned a free drink how do I see where this expires in the app? Or is the free drink tied to the stars and just expires when the stars expire?
Apr 1, 2004
257 posts
86 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 10:48 am
Where in the app do you see this information? Also, if Starbucks has sent me an e-mail saying I have earned a free drink how do I see where this expires in the app? Or is the free drink tied to the stars and just expires when the stars expire?
this info no longer shows
there used to be a tab that showed when the stars you earned will expire at certain month

you get a freebie when you use 125 stars, and it is linked to the exp of the stars
so once part of those 125 stars expire and if you don’t accumulate more and drops below 125 stars in the account, the freebie is gone

so it’s really just saying you enough stars (125) to redeem for a freebie
Nov 6, 2017
1 posts
Do they show in history when you stars expire? I seem to lose some stars as I totally forgot about the Nov 6 deadline. I checked my email box and did receive the email from them ........ feel so devastated now.
Feb 25, 2003
168 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
jocyyu wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:25 pm
i got the email for Nov 6 as well (i’m in BC)
which is really fishy because I actually use my rewards quite often and do the bonus star dash quite often too

there is no star expiry online, or purchase history more than 3 month
and who keeps track of all coffee purchases in the last year? so there’s no way to verify if that Nov 6 expiry actually correct
(plus it’s super weird how *everyone* is expiring on the same date... did we all make some big purchase on May 6??)

I can’t help but feel this is some kind of corporate tactic to force people to use their stars, or have them expire before the said 6 months
because most people don’t check, or keep track
and without the star expiry, there’s no way to check
TRUTH right there! On the phone with the Starbucks Rep, and she's just reading back to me what I see in my account, so frustrating. Will update soon.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3347 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
What's the best item to redeem stars for? I try to go for the most expensive sandwich, but the description and picture of the $8 Holiday Turkey sandwich is leaving me less than inspired.

Odd they only have bird foods. No beef, pork or fish except for the beacon on the chicken beacon sandwich. Don’t let the extensive menu in the app fool you, only a few items are locally available (informed before checkout).

Their dark roast is really an after meal coffee. Drinking it during or before your sandwich and you won’t taste much of anything.

Reading Onwards by former CEO Howard Schultz, he is really proud of his Via instant coffee. Any of you try it? At my Starbucks they only sell the 12 pack version (for $13). An easy way to get to 125 stars before they expire, but I’m having second thoughts about their valuation given Starbucks’ salty bird sandwiches void of fresh vegetables.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Aug 1, 2012
8 posts
VICTORIA
I'm from BC and also had a bunch of stars expiring Nov 6. I did lose about 140 stars the next day but still had over 500 stars remaining. Checking today now all stars have been taken as if the balance was reset to zero after Nov 6. I have screenshots.

Aside from this, the Starbucks site says stars expire on the 1st of the month, not the 6th.
Dec 28, 2008
63 posts
23 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:12 pm
What's the best item to redeem stars for? I try to go for the most expensive sandwich, but the description and picture of the $8 Holiday Turkey sandwich is leaving me less than inspired.
I get either the Baby Greens & Brown Rice Protein Bowl or the Chicken & Quinoa Protein Bowl. Both are $8.95 plus tax in my area. The Thai Chicken Wrap Protein Box is also good.