Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
589 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto

Start.ca vs. Teksavvy vs. CarryTel vs. eBox

So I know there's been a lot of talk around these forums about which ISP is better, but I've still been unable to decide which company is the best one for me to go with.

From what I've read around these forums, CarryTel and Electonic Box will give the best prices, but their customer service is almost non-existent.

Start.ca and Teksavvy seem to have a more reliable connection w/ better customer service, but higher setup costs and monthly fees.

I would really like to go with CarryTel, but their prices seem too good to be true. And who knows when they will raise it?

What is the consensus here - which company will give you the best bang for your buck?
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
9245 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
For the record...TekSavvy has been having rather iffy connection issues lately. I'm in downtown Toronto and I've been having the following issues:

1) The DSL model likes to reconnect itself almost each evening around 11pm.
2) Despite subscribing to a 50Mbps/10Mbps DSL plan, I got 37Mbps/7Mbps in reality.
3) Intermittent high latency issues when I'm browsing random sites.

Well...after Teksavvy insisted everything was normal on their side, I cut them off. Rogers gave me a great deal on a 100Mbps/10Mbps plan. And guess what? I do get 100% of the advertised speed and no, it doesn't cut off in the evening. Thanks for nothing Teksavvy...
Machine: Intel 6800K | Asus X99-E | 32GB Corsair DDR4-2666 | 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe | 6TB WD Black | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | Corsair 750D | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 G1 Windforce | 2 x 27" Samsung S27D390HS PLS | Win10 Pro 64-bit
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
Start.ca.

Just do it.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2935 posts
208 upvotes
Kingston
I have been with Teksavvy, and I am currently with Start. I was with Teksavvy for about 5 yrs and I have been with Start for about 4 or 5 yrs now.

I switched from Teksavvy to Start only because I wanted to switch from DSL to Cable and because our Cable provider is Cogeco, Teksavvy wasn't aligned with them yet but Start was.

The biggest difference I found with Start vs Teksavvy was that Start's customer service is what Teksavvy's used to be. You can call Start and you'll have a CSR on the phone literally in secs vs waiting on hold for many mins which is what Teksavvy had become. Not sure if the wait times are still as long with them today as they were a yr ago.

The prices are competitive imo and they are better than anything Bell/Rogers/Cogeco/etc have. I haven't used the other 2 providers you mentioned, but I have heard of them. They aren't as well known as Teksavvy and Start, but they appear to have been around for awhile.

As you said, do you go for customer service or price? What's that old saying, "you get what you pay for". For me, I would stick to the middle with Teksavvy and Start vs the other 2. As long as you don't go to Bell/Rogers/Cogeco then to me you are already ahead imo
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3447 posts
289 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
squadz wrote:
May 8th, 2016 11:32 am
Start.ca.

Just do it.
Agreed. Been with them 4+ years and no issues.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3541 posts
438 upvotes
Start.ca is currently selling Hitron CDA3 which a few people complained about blocking IP phones and not working with routers etc.. Anyone experience that with Start as I'm looking for a provider as well for my parents.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4734 posts
401 upvotes
Scarborough
We're with Start.ca for about 2 yrs or so. Before that we had rogers internet, which was also pretty good and stable but price increases were too much and not much in usage GB's.

With start you pay for installation and also moving charge if u move, but otherwise its ok.

We get 400GB for $65 plus $5 modem rental. 70 plus taxes total each month. Not sure if its a deal but we're comfortable.

Teksavvy we'heard good and bad so decided on start when we were looking at options. Service is good, and reliable so far. Hope it stays that way.
We have laptops, phones, printer on the wifi and all works pretty good.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
589 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
transitguy1 wrote:
May 8th, 2016 5:51 pm
We're with Start.ca for about 2 yrs or so. Before that we had rogers internet, which was also pretty good and stable but price increases were too much and not much in usage GB's.

With start you pay for installation and also moving charge if u move, but otherwise its ok.

We get 400GB for $65 plus $5 modem rental. 70 plus taxes total each month. Not sure if its a deal but we're comfortable.

Teksavvy we'heard good and bad so decided on start when we were looking at options. Service is good, and reliable so far. Hope it stays that way.
We have laptops, phones, printer on the wifi and all works pretty good.
What speeds are you getting for $65/mnth?
Feb 16, 2016
313 posts
59 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
I've been with Carrytel for about 3 months now and 0 complaints so far. Extremely happy. Customer service is bad but honestly, how often do you contact your ISP? I was paying 80$/month for 25/10 unlimited with Bhell and now I'm paying 35$ + taxes for the same thing with Carrytel.

I recommend Carrytel only if you're techsavy and if you don't mind having crappy customer service. If you go with Careytel, don't use the modem that they give you because it sucks. Buy a hub1000 or hub2000 from Kijiji and use that instead.

Can't comment on the other ISPs you mentionned because I have 0 experience with them.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10580 posts
584 upvotes
Scarborough
Been with Start.ca for over a year now after switching over from Rogers because of overage fees even when no one was home (made no sense).

Rogers looks good now for some of the deals I have seen but I aint going back. The current customer service I get is top notch. Any issues I have had (which were just billing questions), were answered within a reasonable time. Never had a lost connection or service.

The only upfront cost I had was the modem purchase and at least I own it. Each has their own pros and cons but I think start is the reasonable option to go with unless cost is something your looking for then some of those other ISP's are your next best option.
Jan 10, 2012
155 posts
53 upvotes
LONGUEUIL
steeped wrote:
May 8th, 2016 11:09 am
So I know there's been a lot of talk around these forums about which ISP is better, but I've still been unable to decide which company is the best one for me to go with.

From what I've read around these forums, Electonic Box will give the best prices, but their customer service is almost non-existent.
I am not sure what you are talking about ...

https://www.dslreports.com/gbu

Teksavvy cable 3.92/5
EBOX 4.33/5
Start 4.74/5

Google review EBOX: 4.2/5 out of 600+ review

You can't go wrong with EBOX, Start or TSI all good people !
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
981 upvotes
Vaughan
thechampion116 wrote:
May 9th, 2016 12:13 am
Been with Start.ca for over a year now after switching over from Rogers because of overage fees even when no one was home (made no sense).

Rogers looks good now for some of the deals I have seen but I aint going back. The current customer service I get is top notch. Any issues I have had (which were just billing questions), were answered within a reasonable time. Never had a lost connection or service.

The only upfront cost I had was the modem purchase and at least I own it. Each has their own pros and cons but I think start is the reasonable option to go with unless cost is something your looking for then some of those other ISP's are your next best option.
Don't make the same mistake I did. I took advantage of the 100u Rogers internet deal because it was faster and cheaper than Start, but it's awful.

Internet disconnects daily now, speed sucks, and worst of all, I'm stuck with Rogers and this for the next two years. I wish I could cancel.

I loved Start - their customer service was amazing, I never had issues with internet in the year and a half I used them.
Aug 9, 2010
830 posts
182 upvotes
Waterloo
squadz wrote:
May 9th, 2016 12:12 pm
Don't make the same mistake I did. I took advantage of the 100u Rogers internet deal because it was faster and cheaper than Start, but it's awful.

Internet disconnects daily now, speed sucks, and worst of all, I'm stuck with Rogers and this for the next two years. I wish I could cancel.

I loved Start - their customer service was amazing, I never had issues with internet in the year and a half I used them.
Just to balance the perspective here, I've had Rogers internet at my current place for about 2 and a half years now and it's been 99.5% uptime. There was an issue once last year in the neighbourhood where the internet went down for a few hours but some Rogers techs came and fixed it the same day.

As for the OP's question: you can't go wrong with Start.ca.
May 4, 2008
283 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Start.ca

Rogers isn't terribly bad, but if you want to have to eye your bill like a hawk and like to spend time with CS then go ahead.

Start is pleasant and is good value for the money (although not the cheapest).
Jun 7, 2016
69 posts
1 upvote
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I am trying to convert my Rogers + Home phone over to another service and wanted to know what you guys would suggest I am at $75/month for the 2 services right now. Hoping for unlimited internet and reliability .