Start.ca vs. Teksavvy vs. CarryTel vs. eBox

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2017 11:45 am
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2008
734 posts
2 upvotes
I switched from Rogers 100Mb cable internet to CarryTel at my house - Same speed, the only issue I had was receiving US IP address in the beginning, other than that. I'm happy with my 50% discount internet bill.
I also have another small shop where I had Teksavvy 30Mb connection. I was paying around $65 a month for 200GB usage, and I switched to CarryTel 30Mb plan and now paying around $45.

All those providers resell Bell or Rogers connections, but they do manage their own IP blocks, DNS, billing, support etc. If you want to have Rogers or Bell to manage those extra items outside of the actual service, those smaller ISPs are not for you.
Let's Overclock!! :cheesygri
Jan 17, 2017
1 posts
How did you remedy the US IP address? I have same issue. Calling in is painful so any help would be appreciated.
Mar 12, 2009
143 posts
40 upvotes
Ontario
BUMP - Any new comments to this thread? - I need to choose a service in March. - TIA!
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4800 posts
134 upvotes
GTA
leocleoc wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 4:18 pm
BUMP - Any new comments to this thread? - I need to choose a service in March. - TIA!
I have no complaints after moving to Start.ca in Jan 2016. It's as reliable as the Cogeco infrastructure, I find the price fair, and the customer service and support is top notch.
Rock it.
Jun 7, 2016
69 posts
1 upvote
with virgin mobile at $50 monthly unlimited what are your thoughts compared to these guys?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3526 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
I've got to rethink Start.ca again. I'm on their 50MB dsl speed for $60 a month. That's by far the most expensive out of all the 3rd party ISP. Too many other unknown ISP are offering $40 a month and even Teksavvy is a few dollars less. You would think Start.ca would lower it down to $50 or $55 a month.
Dec 1, 2010
786 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
Mr. Robo wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 10:19 am
I've got to rethink Start.ca again. I'm on their 50MB dsl speed for $60 a month. That's by far the most expensive out of all the 3rd party ISP. Too many other unknown ISP are offering $40 a month and even Teksavvy is a few dollars less. You would think Start.ca would lower it down to $50 or $55 a month.
Maybe their overhead for DSL is too high for whatever reason? At my address I can get all different 3rd party DSL providers, except for Start.ca. I called in "just for fun" to see why my address was only showing up as cable services only and they said they do not service my address/area for DSL, while I'm on Teksavvy and they've been servicing my area since 2006. BTW, is it $60 even or $60 + tax? Because Teksavvy is $58 all in for 50/10 DSL unlimited. If you wanted to know.
Dec 1, 2010
786 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
arctictoronto wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 9:34 am
with virgin mobile at $50 monthly unlimited what are your thoughts compared to these guys?
I'm pretty sure Virgin uses BELL DSL to connect people to the web, not sure about the support and setup fees and such is with them. I did an address check and it seems like they only offer VDSL speeds. So that means phone line, no cable services. The want $50/month for 25/10 *up to, so I'm assuming thats VDSL. For that price $50/month you might as well get 50/10 speed with a different provider, Start.ca, Teksavvy, etc.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2640 posts
171 upvotes
Pickering
I've been a avid Teksavvy fan for years, used them for over a decade until recently, switched to Rogers 250u cable from TS a month ago. My good opinion of Teksavvy is now gone, used to be able to get someone from CS on the line within 5 mins, I spent a good 2 hours (2 calls) on hold with TS to cancel my services, that's just nuts, they're excuse was? there pricing was so good it was tying up all the CS's ;).
May 4, 2008
283 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else debating? I'm pleased with Start, but my cheapness has Carrytel on my radar.
Feb 21, 2015
4 posts
Toronto
Hey marcotech, I JUST got Carrytell today, I haven't had a chance to test it out, I will post an update. Went for the 100/10 package.
Jun 16, 2017
41 posts
4 upvotes
I'm also interested in Carrytel. Currently with Rogers (15MB/200GB) $50, considering Carrytel (either 25MB Fibre or 30MB Cable, unlimited) for $35. Wondering whether I should go with fibre or cable (I'm central toronto and have always been on cable without issue). So very interested to here from those who have switched to Carrytel in the past year, seems to good to be true. Also considering just playing it safe with Start (30MB/unlimited) $50. Time to go unlimited because I just got a firestick and will probably cut the cable cord.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15807 posts
469 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Currently have 60/10 Teksavvy/rogers cable with a DCM476. Thinking of getting a new Hitron or TC4350 modem so I can upgrade to 150/15. Worth it?

Should I check my signal levels first to ensure I'll even get the full 150/15 speeds?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)