Tags:
None
May 12, 2014
587 posts
164 upvotes
Markham, ON
ploop wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 8:53 am
Heads up Carrytel seems to be blocking Kodi streaming.

Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/canadia ... i-2112020/
Why are you spreading misinformation? No one can block Kodi. It's just an application or program. Read through the thread as there are some good answers there advising why "Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi" does not make any sense.
Apr 26, 2012
163 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:28 am
Why are you spreading misinformation? No one can block Kodi. It's just an application or program. Read through the thread as there are some good answers there advising why "Canadian ISP is Blocking Kodi" does not make any sense.
It's not exactly misinformation, however poorly worded. Carrytel is a Cogent reseller and thus Carrytel subscribers are subject to Cogent's blacklisting of PirateBay (source linked previously). Cogent has also been accused of throttling P2P traffic (which is probably what OP meant by 'blocking Kodi') by several news sources and forum posters. Google is your friend.
Jan 12, 2017
126 posts
27 upvotes
eboxdiskace wrote:
May 9th, 2016 10:58 am
You can't go wrong with EBOX, Start or TSI all good people !
Thumbs up on that! I've been with TSI for ~10 yrs heavyweight support in court and government issues 'very transparent'; carries the day for me.
May 12, 2014
587 posts
164 upvotes
Markham, ON
BennyBP wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 1:29 pm
It's not exactly misinformation, however poorly worded. Carrytel is a Cogent reseller and thus Carrytel subscribers are subject to Cogent's blacklisting of PirateBay (source linked previously). Cogent has also been accused of throttling P2P traffic (which is probably what OP meant by 'blocking Kodi') by several news sources and forum posters. Google is your friend.
PirateBay is not blocked, was for a time but no longer and was because of Cogent.
Cogent has also been accused of throttling P2P traffic (which is probably what OP meant by 'blocking Kodi') - The OP meant that their Kodi add ons stopped working. So some sites are being blocked, don't know by who without further investigation, but probably Cogent.
Apr 26, 2012
163 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Bobberts wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 2:07 pm
PirateBay is not blocked, was for a time but no longer and was because of Cogent.
Cogent has also been accused of throttling P2P traffic (which is probably what OP meant by 'blocking Kodi') - The OP meant that their Kodi add ons stopped working. So some sites are being blocked, don't know by who without further investigation, but probably Cogent.
I think the takeaway here is that you may save a few dollars, but Carrytel (Cogent) is by no means a neutral ISP, and you can expect issues with torrenting (even Netflix has reportedly been throttled, so streaming speeds in general may be impacted) . If that's not an issue to you, Carrytel is your cheapest provider. If it is, stick with Start. They are the lowest cost Big ISP alternative.
Jul 3, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Fergusons Cove, NS
Wanted to chime in that I also went with start.ca and quite pleased with them. Stable connection during online classes.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
BennyBP wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 2:17 pm
I think the takeaway here is that you may save a few dollars, but Carrytel (Cogent) is by no means a neutral ISP, and you can expect issues with torrenting (even Netflix has reportedly been throttled, so streaming speeds in general may be impacted) . If that's not an issue to you, Carrytel is your cheapest provider. If it is, stick with Start. They are the lowest cost Big ISP alternative.
Start has terrible pricing and no service or support either...all they will do is give you a ticket and you wait as the poor stepchild for when Rogers decides to address the ticket after they serve their customers
.I'm with carrytel and never experienced throttling..
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1344 posts
439 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
BennyBP wrote:
Some kodi streams are also blocked on start ..along with other websites and iptv. Isp cant do anything about blocks

Start and teksavvy have cray cray pricing for their offerings
Jul 29, 2013
193 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Doubleshot wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 1:54 am
Start has terrible pricing and no service or support either...all they will do is give you a ticket and you wait as the poor stepchild for when Rogers decides to address the ticket after they serve their customers
.I'm with carrytel and never experienced throttling..
I've been with Start for over 2 years now. In terms of pricing they were a bit cheaper than Teksaavy and certainly a lot cheaper than either Rogers/Bell. If I did have an issue with my service, all it took was one phone call and I'll actually be talking to a representative getting the issued resolved. Not once have a gotten a ticket. You could also reach them via email and get a prompt response in a few hours so I'm a little shocked you experienced such bad service with them.
Jan 15, 2017
23 posts
BennyBP wrote:

Planning to cut the cord and switch to iptv and kodi for everything soon. It doesn’t seem like there is a clear answer here though. I was thinking start with 120 Mb cable. Do you know if I’ll have any problems with them?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1007 posts
114 upvotes
Milton
BennyBP wrote:
I've been with CarryTel DSL for a few months and zero issues with throttling that I've noticed. Uploads and downloads at full speed including torrents
Banned
Oct 9, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
I switched from Rogers internet to CIK at my house - Same speed, but lower price ! you can check it out on their website!
Aug 29, 2017
124 posts
145 upvotes
I was with Start for 5+ years. I just switched to CarryTel about 1.5 months ago because of better speeds for $5 less. I can't complain about either one. Start had good customer service with regular follow-up calls when I had issues.

Both provided the claimed download speeds, but CarryTel occasionally hits Zero on upload when doing speedtest (this is just a glitch in CarryTel's / Speedtest's settings because I can still upload)

Neither blocked anything.
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8229 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
Greg8642 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:27 pm
Planning to cut the cord and switch to iptv and kodi for everything soon. It doesn’t seem like there is a clear answer here though. I was thinking start with 120 Mb cable. Do you know if I’ll have any problems with them?
if your iptv, you need unlimited because pne iptv can use upto 100 gigs a month.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."