Ongoing Deal Discussion

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 12:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
242 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

Start has been around, but now they are offering cable packages for those of us in Cogeco's footprint (St Catherines, Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, etc)

www.start.ca/services/highspeed

if you are already with Start, you can check your usage here: https://www.start.ca/support/usage/

Start is based in London and seems like a good provider. Since they use the aggregated POI, they cover the entire Cogeco footprint.

Reviews of Start Communications:
http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/2941

Cogeco area cable services:

Rogers (red) area cable services:
Normal plans:

Plus plans (10mbps upload):

DSL services:

Setup fee is waived if you have an existing cable modem connection with Cogeco:
* If you already have an existing cable internet service then you may qualify for a free transfer! The installation charge of $50 only applies to new cable internet service plans if you do not have an existing active cable internet service plan from another provider or if your configuration requires a technician to visit. Please note that 10 business days notice is required to schedule your transfer in order to take advantage of this offer.
Overage: $0.50/GB (up to $25) - After excessive overages, speeds may be throttled.
Unlimited usage between 2AM and 8AM (cable and DSL)

You will need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for the higher tier packages.
Official modem list:
DCM476 or DPC3000 will give you full speed. You can request them to send you a DCM476 if you put in a note when ordering a new modem.

New support hours:
We're happy to announce that July 6th we will be extending our support hours:

Weekdays: 8am to 11pm (previously 8am to 10pm)
Weekends: 8am to 10pm (previously 10am to 6pm)
1420 replies
Apr 22, 2009
103 posts
16 upvotes
London
Been with them for the last 3 years, a really great company to deal with very happy with their dsl service.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1259 posts
11 upvotes
London
Been a client for about 6 months with DSL. Great price and service for unlimited access. I've had to call a couple of times for tech support and got a real person in less than a minute each time.
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Jan 20, 2007
943 posts
287 upvotes
Oakville
Man! How do these guys sneak in, yet Tek is still a big unknown??

Hmm.. I'd move down from Ultimate30 to that Advanced (20Mbs) for that price and quota..

Well, actually, I'm dying for Fibe25 to be available (also a big unknown) so that I could get that through TS instead....

Hmm. Advanced from start, or wait for Fibe...?

Why? Why is this so difficult..? :cry:
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1388 posts
435 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
WooHoooo! Looks good to me!

Anyone know if cogeco news servers are still accessible when using this reseller?
Nov 14, 2009
215 posts
31 upvotes
Sweet... I am so going from ultimate 30 to their advance plan.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1035 posts
94 upvotes
What does the Unlimited column for $34.95 mean?
(maybe it's just a late night for me)
Feb 24, 2010
942 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Genblue wrote:
Mar 7th, 2012 11:55 pm
What does the Unlimited column for $34.95 mean?
(maybe it's just a late night for me)

Unlimited bandwidth
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10763 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
You stole my thread!

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/start-co ... o-1151082/

Anyways:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269786 ... ers-Cogeco
http://www.start.ca/
  • Upgrades for the Aggregated POI will go much quicker... With the aggregated POI which Start uses, it just requires a simple software change to access additional capacity; they have a 10gig interface, but rate-limited to 1gbps so they don't have to pay for the full 10gbps. With non-aggregated POIs, it requires new hardware being ordered, which takes months on end, which Rogers invariably screws up installing.
  • If you can get Rogers in Ontario, then you can get Start Communications, again with the exception of Ottawa
  • They have said that they won't let themselves explode like Teksavvy and fall into crap service
  • Installation charges will be waived if we currently have some sort of cable Internet service
  • Referral Program! $25 credit on signup
  • No fees for changing within speed tiers
  • Unlimited usage will be coming soon. For now, there is no usage metre for cable so Internet usage technically cannot be measured.
There are some things that I don't understand very well, so instead of spreading false information, knowledgeable people please fix it for me.

Bye bye Teksavvy! Well I won't ditch them yet... People leaving Teksavvy = more bandwidth for me.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
242 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 12:24 am
GTA will be using an Aggregated POI with 10GigE of network (bandwidth?) before an upgrade is required.
They are actually launching with 1Gbps to Rogers and 1Gbps for Cogeco with connectivity of up to 10Gbps once demand picks up (in other words, they can upgrade quickly up to 10Gbps before requiring hardware upgrades). Since it is aggregated, there shouldn't be any congestion (unless they don't upgrade their backhaul fast enough or the problem is with Rogers/Cogeco).

Their bandwidth providers are Hurricane, Cogent and Bell and they peer at TorIX. Expect good latency for gaming in the GTA and NE states.
May 18, 2005
510 posts
59 upvotes
Hopefully other provider can hop on the wagon soon as well. The only option in my area other than bell/cogeco is 6m dsl from Distributel, it is not fast enough for HD streaming from utube, vimeo, gametrailer, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3316 posts
375 upvotes
Windsor
If they had an unlimited option faster than 4Mb, I'd be all over this.....
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10763 posts
1245 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
AmirPars wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 9:05 am
They are actually launching with 1Gbps to Rogers and 1Gbps for Cogeco with connectivity of up to 10Gbps once demand picks up (in other words, they can upgrade quickly up to 10Gbps before requiring hardware upgrades). Since it is aggregated, there shouldn't be any congestion (unless they don't upgrade their backhaul fast enough or the problem is with Rogers/Cogeco).

Their bandwidth providers are Hurricane, Cogent and Bell and they peer at TorIX. Expect good latency for gaming in the GTA and NE states.

Yea I read about that but didn't really understand it... So this means that the APOI has up to 10Gbps of bandwidth? Then afterwards they'll be like TekSavvy and rely on Rogers for the upgrades?

I don't understand the bandwidth providers. Care to explain?
G77 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 9:38 am
If they had an unlimited option faster than 4Mb, I'd be all over this.....

Unlimited will be coming shortly. Right now it's a soft launch so they're still finalizing things.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
3316 posts
375 upvotes
Windsor
geokilla wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 9:42 am

Unlimited will be coming shortly. Right now it's a soft launch so they're still finalizing things.

Will keep my eye on it then....

Also interested to see what happens in Windsor. Supposedly Cogeco have stopped Acanac adding anyone else in Windsor due to capacity issues - wonder if the same will happen to Start?
[OP]
Nov 15, 2004
242 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 9:42 am
Yea I read about that but didn't really understand it... So this means that the APOI has up to 10Gbps of bandwidth? Then afterwards they'll be like TekSavvy and rely on Rogers for the upgrades?

I don't understand the bandwidth providers. Care to explain?

Their hardware that is connected to the entry point of Rogers and Cogeco has support for up to 10Gbps, but they are currently running at only 1Gbps connectivity from their entry point to the internet. Upgrades are easy until 10Gbps because they just need to buy more bandwidth from their providers. After 10Gbps, they need to put in a request with Rogers or Cogeco to upgrade their connection. I think they might need to add their own hardware at this point too. If they are active enough, they could plan to do it without reaching saturation.

TekSavvy has to manage each POI separately. This allows them to bypass throttling (although no one does it anymore), but if one POI is congested, they need to go through Rogers to upgrade it. Aggregated POI allows the provider to provide for the entire footprint, plus it allows easy upgrades.

Cogent is the cheapest bandwidth provider. But by adding a mixture, they increase reliability and also offer better routing. If you ping google.ca, you can see how your current provider routes the data.

ikTel offered Cogeco TPIA in some areas because they went straight to the POI and not aggregated. They also had routing only through Cogent which resulted in bad latency. They only had 300mbps and it became congested really quickly.

I was also told that they do not plan on offering unlimited for higher packages because it will cost them hundreds per customer. The best we could hope for is for them to offer prepaid bandwidth packages. For now, 300GB sure beats 80 or even 175 with Ult 30. It's also less expensive :)

Start also said that they've been in talks for 2 years with Cogeco and now with the new CRTC rulings, it made it easier for them to offer these packages.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel