Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2020 1:54 pm
Feb 7, 2008
642 posts
396 upvotes
St Catharines
Tiberius wrote: Has anyone here left Start to go to Carrytel (in Cogeco land)? If so, any thoughts? The Carrytel deal looks tempting, but Start has been great. I'm also on an old $40 plan with 150GB cap. Looking to go to unlimited, but if I'm going to be paying $50 to get 40/10, the Carrytel 60/10 for $35 starts to look very good.
I did exactly that, I'm in the Niagara region, and switched as of October 23ish. Went from 50$ for 40/10, 300 gb down to 29$ for 60/10, unlimited (I was lucky and got into the 2 year, 10$/month credit).

I had absolutely no problems with Start for about 4-5 years, and switched entirely for cheaper cost. Start always had english speaking support, and when new cheaper plans came along I had zero trouble switching in-house.

Carrytel has been solid for the past month with zero downtime. I just did a speed test as of 7:00 PM EST Nov 21st, and I'm pulling around 60/10 actual speeds (between 6pm-10pm is usually prime time internet use in our area). I do feel like I have noticed some slow-downs in the evening, but never enough to measure or bother, i.e., never an issue with PS4 online gaming or HD Netflix (e.g., no weird buffering or anything).

Support was a little tricky, I kept getting calls from Carrytel that I needed to cancel my previous service before they could move forward, and sometimes it was difficult to understand the support staff and to explain that I had already done what they requested a number of times. It turned out though that the issue was on Start's end, they made the cancellation in their system, but never submitted it to Cogeco.

If you do switch, save yourself some trouble and be sure to tell Start.ca to make the cancellation date effective for whatever the switch date is from Carrytel, but, to submit the cancellation request to Cogeco immediately.

i.e., Carrytel can't confirm the switch until Cogeco gets notice of the cancellation.

UPDATE: As of December 11, 2017 my speeds have dropped significantly in the evenings, reaching as low as 1.12 Mbps down. I can no longer recommend this service, leaving original comment up for the records (it was great when it started, but has since dropped considerably)

UPDATE 2: As of January 19, 2018 I've had regular and consistent speeds that were fixed as of approximately December 18th, with one day of downtime that was clearly stated on the network status part of the Carrytel website. I would conclude this service is a viable alternative to Start.ca given the much lower price point, but is not equally stable or consistent as Start.ca was for me in this region.
Last edited by mgrimace on Nov 21st, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mobile: Public Mobile Can-US 74 gb, 34$
TV: FTA Antenna (free OTA TV channels, thread)
Home Phone: Freephoneline VOIP + Obi VOIP adapter (free home phone, thread)
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1634 posts
665 upvotes
Tiberius wrote: Has anyone here left Start to go to Carrytel (in Cogeco land)? If so, any thoughts? The Carrytel deal looks tempting, but Start has been great. I'm also on an old $40 plan with 150GB cap. Looking to go to unlimited, but if I'm going to be paying $50 to get 40/10, the Carrytel 60/10 for $35 starts to look very good.
I had $50, 40/10 from Start but moved to Carrytel $30, 40/10 in Burlington. I will be saving $20 per month for the same service. So far, I am getting 40/10 consistently. I had to buy a new modem for $99 but I was able to apply $40 off promo code. If you buy the modem from them, they will give you lifetime warranty as long as you have their service.
I had a little problem with Start not giving the advance disconnect notice to Cogeco in order for Carrytel to take over the line but at the end, the transition went smoothly. I had both Start & Carrytel line working on the last day so I had no internet disruption.
😃
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2528 posts
1241 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
BuciMaci wrote: I'm with Start now and I can't complain about their service, but I am on a legacy 25/2 plan for $39 with max 150GB bandwith and I think it is time to move on. I see Carry Tel has the RFD special 75/10 plan for $35 and is very tempting. Any comments / advice?
Everything I've seen about the CarryTel service tells me it would be foolish. The claim to have 60 Gbps, total, nation wide. Yet, they are going sell a single customer more than 0.1% of the bandwidth. Either they have very few customers, or they expect there primary customer base is people who don't use the internet, at least not at the same time. But still I find the low low price calling me like a beacon. I think, maybe if I just sign up with their 40/10 service most of the time I'll get what I get now, and I can live with the occasional prime time drops. But I don't think I'll do it, because with the cost of the modem it takes too long just to break even on the experiment...
Aug 19, 2012
83 posts
10 upvotes
TORONTO
Looking to cancel my cogeco internet in the next few days and sign up with start 40/10 unlimited. Can anyone recommend a good modem and wireless router that is compatible?
Dec 8, 2001
890 posts
216 upvotes
Ancaster
wallathewalrus wrote: Looking to cancel my cogeco internet in the next few days and sign up with start 40/10 unlimited. Can anyone recommend a good modem and wireless router that is compatible?
I made the switch from cogeco to start just over a year ago and never looked back. I got the Hitron CDA3-20 Gigabit Cable Modem from Amazon and it's been solid.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
wallathewalrus wrote: Looking to cancel my cogeco internet in the next few days and sign up with start 40/10 unlimited. Can anyone recommend a good modem and wireless router that is compatible?
I just use the rental one. It's been rock solid. I think it is a Hilton.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Gutty96 wrote: I just use the rental one. It's been rock solid. I think it is a Hilton.
So START will supply one with the contract? I too and growing tired of dealing with Cogeco and their constant rate increases and having to fight them to get a decent deal after being customers for over 20 years.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
nielboy wrote: So START will supply one with the contract? I too and growing tired of dealing with Cogeco and their constant rate increases and having to fight them to get a decent deal after being customers for over 20 years.
Yup. For an extra $5 a month.

I rented off the hop to make sure I am satisfied with the service. Now, I may just keep renting as if it messed up, I just call them and they replace it. If I buy one, it's on me to replace.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
2019 posts
3071 upvotes
Mississauga
Using the TP-Link TC-7610 with Start in Oakville. Best modem you can use in Cogecoland.

Solid modem and solid service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7813 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
dgr81 wrote: Using the TP-Link TC-7610 with Start in Oakville. Best modem you can use in Cogecoland.

Solid modem and solid service.
I'm still rocking a Thomson DCM (I think it's the 476?). Would it be worth switching over to the TP-Link?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1426 posts
139 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: I'm still rocking a Thomson DCM (I think it's the 476?). Would it be worth switching over to the TP-Link?
I've used all most every one and currently have the TP-Link TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem and have found it to be rock solid.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
I wish this thread hadn't shifted over to "expired deals"....

Anyway... I have the DCM476 and may need to upgrade my modem to increase to the 100/10 plan... was wondering what modem(s) people would recommend with Start in Cogeco land....
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2002
1304 posts
146 upvotes
Kingston ON
Tiberius wrote: I wish this thread hadn't shifted over to "expired deals"....

Anyway... I have the DCM476 and may need to upgrade my modem to increase to the 100/10 plan... was wondering what modem(s) people would recommend with Start in Cogeco land....
I just upgraded to the 100/10 plan and also had to upgrade my modem. I decided just to rent from Start and see how long everyone will be home - there are 8 of us. So I ended up renting the Technicolor; SW_REV: 50041.1.19.0; MODEL: TC4350. So far it seems to be fine & meets our needs. Just tested wirelessly on my laptop - the modem is downstairs and I am upstairs about as far away as I can get in the house - on 5GHz network and got 84.7 down and 9.80 up.
Cheers & stay safe,
Carlos

Free be Freebie

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)