Ongoing Deal Discussion

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2018 6:24 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2137 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Tha DraGun wrote:
Dec 5th, 2016 2:14 pm
So I convinced my friend to sign up for start cable. They have a cogeco cable tv connection, but no internet. Is it right that she still has to pay install fee even tho she has a cable line already? Doesn't make sense to me.
She wouldn't have had to pay the installation fee if she had existing internet. Despite having cable TV (but no cable internet), she's still subject to the installation feel.
Sep 25, 2004
806 posts
305 upvotes
joeags wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 11:20 pm
How have people set up their modems for the switch over? For example, I have my Cogeco modem in use, but on the day they switch over, I'd need to swap the Cogeco modem for the new one I purchased. Are you just waiting until the signal dies, does it happen at some prescribed time, or...?

Thanks in advance!
Answering my question...

We were on Cogeco - we were advised the new service would activate between 9am and 5pm. We were not notified with a phone call that it was happening, and of course it happened when I was at work. I set up Cogeco to cancel on the 29th so I would have overlap. When the switch happened, Cogeco also dropped for some period of time (my wife lost internet, and it wasn't until the router was reset that she was able to continue using Cogeco). So for non-tech WAF, be aware of the phone call from the family you'll get if you choose this method when you're away from home!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10422 posts
692 upvotes
Any good deals for a good modem out there? Thinking of making the switch to start in the new year.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9016 posts
347 upvotes
Mississauga
Tekksavvy is lowering monthly plans by $10 and increasing speeds across the board... wonder if start will do the same

Update: there will be price changes in the up coming weeks
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4169 posts
717 upvotes
Kingston
XxXSnake23XxX wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 6:58 pm

Update: there will be price changes in the up coming weeks
Where did you find this out?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9016 posts
347 upvotes
Mississauga
Tha DraGun wrote:
Dec 20th, 2016 7:31 pm
Where did you find this out?
Fb messaged then in regards to tekksavvy lower cost and uping speeds and that's the answer I got from them
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45945 posts
12297 upvotes
Ebox is doing nothing about its plans. I might switch to Start soon.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45945 posts
12297 upvotes
Didn't know Cogeco started offering this in my area for round $150/month

UltraFibre 1Gig Unlimited
Download speed: up to 1 Gbps
Unlimited transfer capacity
Up to 7 email addresses
Free access to more than 1000 Wi-Fi hotspots
Advanced AC Wi-Fi router and 1 Gig modem rental included
Up to 2 AC Wi-Fi extenders included if required
INCLUDED: Access to our full suite of Cogeco Security Services
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2271 posts
286 upvotes
Ancaster
Our Cogeco Cable/Internet bundled plan discount just expired & they're jacking our rates up again.

We called Retention & asked them to keep the rates the same but they said they couldn't do it.

We were quite surprised when we told them we were going to shop around & they didn't offer to do something for us......so now we're shopping around.

Now that I hear from this forum that Start & Tekksavy are lowering costs & upping speeds in the new year, it ticks me off even more that Cogeco wouldn't make our last years pricing.

On a separate but related note, does anyone have any experience with VMedia? Their pricing looks pretty competitive when compared to Cogeco & they offer both internet & cable packages.
http://www.vmedia.ca/en/
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3604 posts
213 upvotes
Georgetown
nielboy wrote:
Dec 24th, 2016 12:58 pm
Our Cogeco Cable/Internet bundled plan discount just expired & they're jacking our rates up again.

We called Retention & asked them to keep the rates the same but they said they couldn't do it.

We were quite surprised when we told them we were going to shop around & they didn't offer to do something for us......so now we're shopping around.

Now that I hear from this forum that Start & Tekksavy are lowering costs & upping speeds in the new year, it ticks me off even more that Cogeco wouldn't make our last years pricing.

On a separate but related note, does anyone have any experience with VMedia? Their pricing looks pretty competitive when compared to Cogeco & they offer both internet & cable packages.
http://www.vmedia.ca/en/
I left Cogeco a few years back for,the same reason and went to Start... also got freephoneline at that time and cancelled cable... only pay 39.99 for internet through Start now. Cogeco just wouldn't renew the discounts we had and lost our business.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45945 posts
12297 upvotes
Anyone know when Start will be introducing new pricing in light of the CRTC decision? Ebox doesn't seem to be offering unlimited.

Seems I am interested in going for unlimited internet now, likely 50 Mbps, that I have subscribed to a decent VPN service.

Edit:
Roco says sometime in January :)
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r311476 ... -some-soon
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45945 posts
12297 upvotes
Any willing to give me $10 via EMT for the $25 referral credit? I don't mind using a referral but since I don't get anything, would be interested in a 40/60 split. :)
https://www.start.ca/about/referrals

EBox doesn't offer unlimited and for $2.50 more, I would rather go with Starts' 50/10 unlimited DSL service.

=====

Got a referral already.
Aug 18, 2011
806 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
boumbo wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 7:48 pm
Any news on the 2017 price?
Friday apparently we're supposed to see something