Ongoing Deal Discussion

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2017 9:52 am
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37488 posts
7833 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 12:42 pm
lol
I heard generally good experience around, but need to know what the service is like in this area.
I am thinking, considering it is running off Cogeco line, should be similar service? no downtime/blackout? throttle - despite unlimited?
I think best to post on DSL Report. I think in ON, Cogeco only has a stranglehold on Burlington and Oakville and maybe some really far out land.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/start
Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet Laptop 4 GB RAM / 64 GB SSD + lots of extras $300 obo
dell-venue-11-pro-tablet-laptop-4-gb-ra ... #p27905174
Nov 13, 2008
52 posts
3 upvotes
SeeWhy2 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 11:35 am
It is there for Kingston!
FYI,
Tha DraGun wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 12:44 pm
We have cogeco in kingston. Ottawa is probably Rogers? They would have different plans/prices available
Thanks. I will see if Ebox can match regardless. Their price hasn't change with this new law...
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10001 posts
522 upvotes
Had install date set for today, nobody showed up and start can't do anything or find out why, only thing to do is set new install date for Monday.

I took a day off work to be here today and I also have to pay $50 for this install... What a great start to this service!

Sorry just venting!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10001 posts
522 upvotes
Yes it is not their employee which is why they can't do anything or even have the number of the guy to call. I understand it's not their fault but still, this sucks!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37488 posts
7833 upvotes
Similar situation here but this was within Ebox. Was going to upgrade from 25/10 DSL to 50/10 and was told by an eBox rep a technician will have to come in to look at the modem (in the basement).

Four business days passed and Ebox hasn't called me to set an appointment for this technician visit. I started a thread on what to expect on the prorating of refund for unused days (as I wanted to switch to Smart) and another Ebox representative asked me about my issue. When I explained how disappointed I was with the experience, he promised to make it right. He said that on Jan 23 evening, my speed will get bumped to 50/10 without needing to wait for a technician to come and look at the modem.

I was surprised because when I asked why a technician had to come inside, I was told they had to do some config testing at the modem level. I guess it isn't true on DSL for speed upgrades/downgrades.
Jun 8, 2007
647 posts
118 upvotes
Oshawa
My 6 month initial contract with Cogeco is up next month. Called in expecting I would be switching to Start. On a 120/10 plan with a home phone that I don't use. Offered me $20 off, then $30 off for 12 months. Said I would switch to Start. Then was offered $40 off a month. Comes to $101.63 a month for 12 months. For about $5 more a month I stay with Cogeco and don't have to buy a modem. Having been a start Customer previously I was quite ok switching but at the price difference its hard to justify.

Mike
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37488 posts
7833 upvotes
Bedpan wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 4:15 pm
My 6 month initial contract with Cogeco is up next month. Called in expecting I would be switching to Start. On a 120/10 plan with a home phone that I don't use. Offered me $20 off, then $30 off for 12 months. Said I would switch to Start. Then was offered $40 off a month. Comes to $101.63 a month for 12 months. For about $5 more a month I stay with Cogeco and don't have to buy a modem. Having been a start Customer previously I was quite ok switching but at the price difference its hard to justify.

Mike
That is why I try not to support the incumbents. They complain to CRTC they cannot lower their wholesale cost to the indies but can actually do it for their customers if they so choose.

I do get your point though since it makes sense to stick with your original ISP if they now offer lower or equal costs.

No choice with wireless plans though but if Fido jacks its rates up for its 3 GB offer, I will be looking back to Tbaytel.
Jun 8, 2007
647 posts
118 upvotes
Oshawa
Believe me I am not a fan of the Monopolies these companies have bought for themselves. I would love to move on.. Just so hard to justify when there is no cost savings and the extra hassles of appts for techs and many more hurdles for tech support when needed..

Thanks you made me feel dirty ;-)

Mike
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 4:21 pm
That is why I try not to support the incumbents. They complain to CRTC they cannot lower their wholesale cost to the indies but can actually do it for their customers if they so choose.

I do get your point though since it makes sense to stick with your original ISP if they now offer lower or equal costs.

No choice with wireless plans though but if Fido jacks its rates up for its 3 GB offer, I will be looking back to Tbaytel.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37488 posts
7833 upvotes
Bedpan wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 4:30 pm
Believe me I am not a fan of the Monopolies these companies have bought for themselves. I would love to move on.. Just so hard to justify when there is no cost savings and the extra hassles of appts for techs and many more hurdles for tech support when needed..

Thanks you made me feel dirty ;-)

Mike
I may have done the same especially since my wife dislikes having to deal with technicians' questions/ troubleshooting working from home isn't too welcomed where I work.

But your example is why CRTC was correct not to buy the incumbents' BS. :)
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1245 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Good day

I'm interested in Start but won't be switching any time soon. Is there a preference for cable or DSL? Rent or buy modem? Thanks
I love Witcher 3!!
Oct 9, 2011
153 posts
32 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 10:54 am
Looking to consider switching from Cogeco 250/20 to this Start 120/10. I am at the border of Oakville/Burlington. I would love to hear some advices.

cogeco 250/20 has been stellar for me, no blackouts, no drop, I am not complaining. As of late, I however don't seem to fully utilize this 250/20, I think Start 120/10 should be okay, fast enough when I really need, AND would save me ~$35/month. I wish Rogers were here. Bell only offers 50mbps, and I honestly do not want to go with Bell at all.

Anyway, I would love to hear experiences from people in the area (Oakville/Burlington). Actual vs Advertised speed? Blackouts?
What about modem to buy? Which one does everyone buy, if I sign up for 120/10. Would a Rogers Hiltron work with it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
I know you're asking about cable, but I'm on DSL with Start Communications in Oakville for about 5 years. Great customer service, never experienced throttling at all. I get about 90% of the advertised speed most times.
Oct 9, 2011
153 posts
32 upvotes
thiefa wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 1:23 pm
Good day

I'm interested in Start but won't be switching any time soon. Is there a preference for cable or DSL? Rent or buy modem? Thanks
I've been on DSL for years. I do not have a home phone line, and Start does not charge for what is referred to as a "dry-loop". I currently own my modem, but just switched to one of their higher speed plans which requires a VDSL2 modem, and I will be renting that. The rep on the phone said I can buy it out later if I wanted to in a year's time for about $20 (a new one is $100). I'm also writing it off as I have a home business so it doesn't cost me much to rent it.

Essentially, if you rent, it's like having a warranty and if anything goes wrong, they send you a new one. It's a bit of a gamble though. In the past 15 years, I've only had one modem go bad,
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
37488 posts
7833 upvotes
dpw198 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:06 am
I know you're asking about cable, but I'm on DSL with Start Communications in Oakville for about 5 years. Great customer service, never experienced throttling at all. I get about 90% of the advertised speed most times.
dpw198 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:11 am
I've been on DSL for years. I do not have a home phone line, and Start does not charge for what is referred to as a "dry-loop". I currently own my modem, but just switched to one of their higher speed plans which requires a VDSL2 modem, and I will be renting that. The rep on the phone said I can buy it out later if I wanted to in a year's time for about $20 (a new one is $100). I'm also writing it off as I have a home business so it doesn't cost me much to rent it.

Essentially, if you rent, it's like having a warranty and if anything goes wrong, they send you a new one. It's a bit of a gamble though. In the past 15 years, I've only had one modem go bad,
Sounds like you both are on Cogecoland, like myself, where DSL is $5-10 cheaper. :)
Sep 2, 2015
1 posts
I just received my first invoice from start can you Communications by email and I have to say I am very upset and disappointed I had signed on for an original $62 which would be withdrawn from my bank account each month the base package was $50 I wonder why they felt the need to withdraw $102? As you know you must pay upfront to get installation so I did that it would appear January 10th that they charged me again for the remainder of the month and then decided to take $50 more this month! This is exactly why I disconnected Cogeco and I'm flabbergasted that they could pull such a thing. Now hopefully they make things right and see their mistake but this does not bode well for a long relationship. Up to this point their customer service has been great but the bottom line is it doesn't matter how great it is -you don't get to take money twice. So what I thought was a fabulous company it turns out to be just another rip-off or is it just a mistake? I hope I'm wrong....