Ongoing Deal Discussion

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2017 12:08 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8754 posts
3162 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I've never had a billing issue with them in years, people make mistakes, I'd wait to see how they handle it before raising issue.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1118 posts
31 upvotes
Hamilton
yeah i would too.

they probably have in influx of changes going on right now due to the new packages and new competition

I am switching to cCable 120/10 unlim and I was on hold for 10 minutes last night and hung up. that is extremely rare for them to make anyone wait that long.

they are busy, I can also tell you they have hired a bunch of staff recently as well..

I have had VDSL 50/10 from them for 3.5 years you know how much downtime? 1 minute 35 seconds. (from STARTS issues only)
Heatware available upon request.
Sep 4, 2007
538 posts
88 upvotes
I see people talking about getting upgrades for 40/10 unlimited for $40, is that a grandfathered plan?
I'm looking for cable only and see 30/10 unlimited for $50
Apr 21, 2007
101 posts
21 upvotes
Pembroke
User960859 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 3:56 am
I just received my first invoice from start can you Communications by email and I have to say I am very upset and disappointed I had signed on for an original $62 which would be withdrawn from my bank account each month the base package was $50 I wonder why they felt the need to withdraw $102? As you know you must pay upfront to get installation so I did that it would appear January 10th that they charged me again for the remainder of the month and then decided to take $50 more this month! This is exactly why I disconnected Cogeco and I'm flabbergasted that they could pull such a thing. Now hopefully they make things right and see their mistake but this does not bode well for a long relationship. Up to this point their customer service has been great but the bottom line is it doesn't matter how great it is -you don't get to take money twice. So what I thought was a fabulous company it turns out to be just another rip-off or is it just a mistake? I hope I'm wrong....
I believe if you look at your invoice for Feb 1st, you should see your installation payment appearing as a credit.
I switched from Cogeco part way through the month in April and it wasn't installed until May 7th. Initially I was charged the full month, modem and shipping. On the first invoice, the month was prorated for May 7-31, so I actually received a credit in the account.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3426 posts
157 upvotes
Georgetown
LyGuy wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 10:32 am
I see people talking about getting upgrades for 40/10 unlimited for $40, is that a grandfathered plan?
I'm looking for cable only and see 30/10 unlimited for $50
Where do you see people talking about getting 40/10 unlimited for $40 ?
Sep 4, 2007
538 posts
88 upvotes
Tiberius wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 5:11 pm
Where do you see people talking about getting 40/10 unlimited for $40 ?
Just a few pages back. I called Start ... they confirmed that deal is for Cogeco area only ...Rogers cable area is 30/5 unlimited for $50
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3426 posts
157 upvotes
Georgetown
LyGuy wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 8:59 am
Just a few pages back. I called Start ... they confirmed that deal is for Cogeco area only ...Rogers cable area is 30/5 unlimited for $50
That is 40/10 unlimited for $50... not $40.... I wish it was for $40....
Sep 4, 2007
538 posts
88 upvotes
Oops my bad...in any case...not applicable to me
Nov 6, 2003
190 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Living in Oakville, I'm interested in the 40/10 for $50 plan from Start. I do have a few questions:

1) Is the unlimited plan truly unlimited? My family can hit between 1500-2000 in a month so I need to ensure their are no fake thresholds like Carrytel had a few months back.
2) Does Start throttle their service?
3) Any recommendations from their long list of cable modems? I'd prefer to buy one that is as future proof as possible.

Thank in advance
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
8754 posts
3162 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Bolded
cypher wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 10:04 am
Living in Oakville, I'm interested in the 40/10 for $50 plan from Start. I do have a few questions:

1) Is the unlimited plan truly unlimited? My family can hit between 1500-2000 in a month so I need to ensure their are no fake thresholds like Carrytel had a few months back. No observed thresholds during heavy months, been with them at least 3y
2) Does Start throttle their service? My speedtests say no
3) Any recommendations from their long list of cable modems? I'd prefer to buy one that is as future proof as possible. I'm using a DCM476 in Cogecoland, I see they're $40 on kijiji, check here what you need:
https://www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems
I bought mine from Canada Computers, I see THIS is what they have now if you want new, ensure firmware is STFC.01.01 for Cogeco/Rogers territories). If you are in Rogers, you might want the 100Mbps Cisco/Hitron variants to future proof.
Thank in advance
Nov 6, 2003
190 posts
17 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Just got my cable service hooked up today and I'm hoping someone could help answer a setup question for me.

My current setup is the cable modem is in the basement along with some servers and a switch. Upstairs, I have my router which is directly connected to the switch in the basement.

Can I connect the modem directly to the switch in the basement so that the router upstairs is able to obtain the internet connection? If not, do I need to first add a second router in the basement (I have 2 or 3 lying around) between the cable modem and the switch?
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12479 posts
2378 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Does anyone know if start throttles? I'm killing like 10-15gb per day on my 60/10 plan and am hoping that I won't run into any issues regarding throttling.

Edit -nvm - saw ancasters post above
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Dec 24, 2006
4 posts
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 4:40 pm
Does anyone know if start throttles? I'm killing like 10-15gb per day on my 60/10 plan and am hoping that I won't run into any issues regarding throttling. Edit -nvm - saw ancasters post above
What does Killing 10-15gb per day on my 60/10 plan mean?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel