Ongoing Deal Discussion

Start Communications - Finally cheap cable internet in Cogecoland!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2017 2:29 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13714 posts
3057 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
my_skate_dad@yahoo.ca wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 3:53 pm
What does Killing 10-15gb per day on my 60/10 plan mean?

Killing = using

60/10 equals 60mb/s download, 10mb/s upload
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1368 posts
115 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 4:27 pm
Killing = using
60/10 equals 60mb/s download, 10mb/s upload
I had a DSL 6mbps connection and did 25GB - a-day. . . Last spring I switched to Starts CABLE On the COGECO Backbone 60mbps & now do 250Gb -300Gb a day while supporting 6 in the house on Wi-Fi and streaming. . . When everyone was switched over to UNL my speed increased. . . substantially. . . This Happen to anyone else on the COGEECO backbone ?
Aug 13, 2011
764 posts
147 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a good router for a two level house? I'm hoping to pay somewhere around $50 or less but I don't know much about them (always used Bell/Rogers router-modem combos and didn't have much trouble with them).
Jan 12, 2003
444 posts
90 upvotes
Moe Hunter wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:10 pm
I had a DSL 6mbps connection and did 25GB - a-day. . . Last spring I switched to Starts CABLE On the COGECO Backbone 60mbps & now do 250Gb -300Gb a day while supporting 6 in the house on Wi-Fi and streaming. . . When everyone was switched over to UNL my speed increased. . . substantially. . . This Happen to anyone else on the COGEECO backbone ?
They bumped the 30M plan they were selling to 40M that Cogeco actually gives them...They were throttleing the 40M tier down to 30M, to save cost on CBB im sure.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Jan 2, 2017
37 posts
2 upvotes
My stupid contract with cogeco ends in July and I'm looking to switch over to Start.ca. My biggest concern that it will turns out to be like Acanac and disconnects on me left and right :(

its a hassle mailing back the modem to cogeco again and then buying a new modem..

ahh I don't know what to do!!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16197 posts
847 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Vieedo wrote:
May 26th, 2017 3:00 pm
My stupid contract with cogeco ends in July and I'm looking to switch over to Start.ca. My biggest concern that it will turns out to be like Acanac and disconnects on me left and right :(

its a hassle mailing back the modem to cogeco again and then buying a new modem..

I've had my parents on Start since 2012 and I honestly don't remember them being disconnected once. I'm sure it might have happened, but it is not a common occurrence by any stretch. I've been on start since Aug and haven't gone down once.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3768 posts
514 upvotes
Kingston
Vieedo wrote:
May 26th, 2017 3:00 pm

I've had Start for a really long time. I dont know how long exactly, but at least 6yrs. I can't really think of any time that our internet was down either. Maybe once for like 30min but I can't remember if it was their issue or my router/modem. We use VOIP phone and I'm not worried that it will go down, Start is very dependable. You do not have to worry.

My account is on 40/10 plan and every time I do a speed test its always good and usually a little bit higher. This is what I just tested.

When I got the connection hooked up, they called to make sure it went ok and my speeds were good. When I wasn't on an unlimited plan they sent an email to warn me if I was close to going over my limit.

With cogeco or bell they are always increasing the prices. I have never had my bill increased. They always grandfather your plans so if the plan price increases or speed goes down or something you will not be affected. Actually a little while back I got an email from them saying that my Speed is increasing, I now get unlimited downloads and no extra cost! That doesnt happen with internet companies very often. :)

They also have an uptime guarantee. If its down for more then an hour they give you a credit on your bill.
100% Uptime Commitment

We are committed to providing the highest quality dedicated connections, server colocation and web hosting which is why we offer customers of these services a straight-forward 100% uptime commitment policy.
Simple policy
If your dedicated internet connection, web site or domain email service with us is unavailable as a result of a failure in our systems, we will credit your next invoice with a 10% discount on the affected service for each full 1-hour of interruption, up to 100% of the cost for the month.
Any credits would begin from the time you open a support ticket to report the problem. Scheduled maintenance is occasionally required to ensure the smooth ongoing operation of services and is excluded from outage calculations. Problems outside of our control such as physical line failures at a customer location or problems with customer equipment are not included in our policy.
100% Uptime Guarantee

Lastly another nice thing is that if you refer someone you get a $25 credit on your next bill. So you can sign up your friends and family, help them save money and also get a little back for yourself. :)
Dec 3, 2007
317 posts
20 upvotes
strippedaway wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:25 pm
Can anyone recommend a good router for a two level house? I'm hoping to pay somewhere around $50 or less but I don't know much about them (always used Bell/Rogers router-modem combos and didn't have much trouble with them).
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/ may give you a good base to go from. Probably worth spending a bit more than $50 for better quality signal, IMO.

Edit: On sale right now at the Source https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computer ... ailability
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1368 posts
115 upvotes
What services are you looking for ?

Mailing equipment back to providers is just part of doing business and really isn't that difficult & its Free when sending back Cogeco equipment, OR just simply drop it off at a local Cogeco store. . .
Returning Start equipment isn't free, I had to pay out of pocket & box it myself.
Aug 13, 2011
764 posts
147 upvotes
4zim wrote:
May 27th, 2017 10:39 pm
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/ may give you a good base to go from. Probably worth spending a bit more than $50 for better quality signal, IMO.

Edit: On sale right now at the Source https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computer ... ailability
I actually did buy that model soon after I posted posted my original comment months ago! Coincidentally I did buy it from the Source on sale but I also used one of their $25 off coupons. I get a great signal across the entire house and almost full speed. For reference: We are on Start's 60/10 mbps cable. Router is the living room under the TV stand (basically middle of main floor), I am upstairs left side and we have a movie streaming downstairs. I just checked the speed and I'm getting 58.31 mbps download, 10.15 mbps upload. It's fantastic.
Apr 23, 2014
643 posts
96 upvotes
I negotiated a 1 year contract with cogeco which took effect on august 20, 2016. so I want to switch to start.ca at the beginning of september 2017. The modem that I am planning on using with start.ca is as follows: Thomson cable modem DCM476 docsis 3.0. which I am hoping will still be ok. can anybody help me with the steps I need to take to make this switch, for some reason I have been putting it off as I am a bit intimidated by the process, e.g. when to cancel, what happens etc.. any help appreciated. thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3768 posts
514 upvotes
Kingston
Penrose wrote:
May 28th, 2017 3:08 pm
I negotiated a 1 year contract with cogeco which took effect on august 20, 2016. so I want to switch to start.ca at the beginning of september 2017. The modem that I am planning on using with start.ca is as follows: Thomson cable modem DCM476 docsis 3.0. which I am hoping will still be ok. can anybody help me with the steps I need to take to make this switch, for some reason I have been putting it off as I am a bit intimidated by the process, e.g. when to cancel, what happens etc.. any help appreciated. thanks.
Here's a list of compatible modems. If yours doesn't work you can always buy or rent one from start.
Even if you do have to spend the money on a new modem you will still save lots by switching to start.
https://www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems
DCM476 (STAC.02.50)

I can't remember if you have to give cogeco notice or not. I don't think you do anymore, but maybe someone else knows for sure? You can always call start too. They will tell you the best way to switch over.
If you do call cogeco to cancel, just make sure your setup date is before your last day with cogeco. If you signup for start after your cogeco is ended then you will be charged an install fee.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1368 posts
115 upvotes
Penrose wrote:
May 28th, 2017 3:08 pm
Why not just simply re-negotiate ?
Apr 23, 2014
643 posts
96 upvotes
Moe Hunter wrote:
May 29th, 2017 10:09 am
Why not just simply re-negotiate ?
the thing that bugs me is being capped., even tho I never come anywhere near my bandwidth limit. and then if you don't use it you lose it. they don't even let you carry over your unused bandwidth, they just wipe it out at the end of the month. It just does not sit well with me. I use the net for everything , paying bills, shopping, ordering food, weather report,
etc..etc..etc.. and with a cap I feel I cannot do anything like streaming a movie, or netflix, because I'm worried that I won't have enough bandwidth for these critical daily activities, such as banking.
Jun 4, 2007
654 posts
53 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
May 28th, 2017 6:53 pm
Here's a list of compatible modems. If yours doesn't work you can always buy or rent one from start.
https://www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems
What's a good modem to get from this list (for "Rogers territories") for the 60/10 service? Does it matter? Should any be avoided? I will most likely be buying one used. TIA.