Computers & Electronics

Start Communications -- Router : "you have set the wrong dynamic or static ip address

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2013 3:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 15, 2007
795 posts
138 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Start Communications -- Router : "you have set the wrong dynamic or static ip address

I just got my Start Comm. cable service set up today and speeds are great and working perfectly.

However, when I try to connect through my router (Asus WL-520GU) everything still works for my ethernet-connected desktop -- until i set up my wireless network settings. After changing my settings the router disconnects from the internet with the message :

"you have set the wrong dynamic or static ip address"

Is there something I am missing from the settings?
I have tried doing a factory reset and the same problem occurs every single time.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4393 posts
859 upvotes
London
Make sure WAN IP is set to Dynamic, and the cable is plugged in from the WAN port to the modem. Then your router should be setup with DHCP enabled to provide internal IPs to the rest of the network...might be worth trying out another router, yours seems buggy if the settings are correct.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2838 posts
180 upvotes
Kingston
You can't have a static IP address on cable, only DSL
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21466 posts
1515 upvotes
Aurora
kcorscadden wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 8:34 pm
Whatcha talking 'bout Willis?

You can get a static IP from any provider as long as you pay for it.

Rogers charges $10 for a static IP.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6055 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
kcorscadden wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 8:34 pm
Like some others said it's a provider thing.

And I used to have a Static IP for DSL on Teksavvy back then. Needed for MLPPP and Newsgroup access.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2007
795 posts
138 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The default setting on the router is dynamic ip, I haven't been trying to use a static ip.

However, this might have something to do with it -- i just noticed in my network connections there are NO devices listed. Which makes no sense since I am obviously connected to my network card and it is working since I am able to browse the internet..

Strange....
× < >