• Jan 22nd, 2017 6:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sexyj wrote: You answered your own thread.

Nobody will care about cheap chinese brands. Given samsungs penetration in NA. Its pretty much impossible for them to die off.
Their "edge" is amusing. And its edge feature is breath taking. But I only go for the 1 yr old flagship. So I just have to wait
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
will888 wrote: I will agree that Steve is a bit of a loose cannon. That is what it takes to make waves in any industry. I will disagree that the one+ is not like a nexus product. The phone costs about the same as a 32 gig nexus 5. It is every bit as good if not better. The community support for custom roms is just as strong. Pretty much all the well known roms support bacon.
Steve is just a moron that is full of himself without realizing he's not even an insect

One plus is a big piece of turd because there's zero quality control or after sales service to address their horrid quality control

The one plus is not that great of a deal..it's really just one of the gazillion cheapo Chinese phones on alibaba or whatever site...great if you luck out and get a working one...SOL otherwise.

The one plus is like 500 cdn dollars at your door..for a cheapo Chinese phone that may or may not work...might as well gamble on the 200 Chinese knockoffs

One plus is not a nexus simply because it's not pure android..its no different than the skin all the other manufacture put on android...and updates are still not as fast and most importantly doesnt have the excellent customer service of a nexus product. My n5 was having reboot problems...a phone call to human being answered in less than 5 mins and an email replied in less than 6 hrs and a replacemt was shipped to me and return shipping label provided for when my phone arrived and I ship old one back and credit card hold released once shipping label scanned

No amount of broken roms for broken hardware for one plus can do that
Jul 20, 2003
292 posts
93 upvotes
LandKing wrote: Steve is just a moron that is full of himself without realizing he's not even an insect

One plus is a big piece of turd because there's zero quality control or after sales service to address their horrid quality control

The one plus is not that great of a deal..it's really just one of the gazillion cheapo Chinese phones on alibaba or whatever site...great if you luck out and get a working one...SOL otherwise.

The one plus is like 500 cdn dollars at your door..for a cheapo Chinese phone that may or may not work...might as well gamble on the 200 Chinese knockoffs

One plus is not a nexus simply because it's not pure android..its no different than the skin all the other manufacture put on android...and updates are still not as fast and most importantly doesnt have the excellent customer service of a nexus product. My n5 was having reboot problems...a phone call to human being answered in less than 5 mins and an email replied in less than 6 hrs and a replacemt was shipped to me and return shipping label provided for when my phone arrived and I ship old one back and credit card hold released once shipping label scanned

+1

I used to love CyanogenMod.....I first flashed CyanogenMod on my HTC Magic back in 2009, even donated to them a few times....fast forwarded to 2014, all flagship devices released in 2014 were very disappointing including the Nexus 6...so I ended up getting the OPO. I do like my OPO but the low quality touch screen and buggy software are really getting on my nerves. The latest 05Q system update is so buggy that I completely lost my faith in CM...... on the contrary, the Samsung Galaxy S6 seems amazing....I won't call OPO a piece of turd, but when compared to the new S6....it kind of feels like one......

p.s. I absolutely hate TouchWiz, but seriously, I will take a stable TouchWiz ROM over a buggy CM ROM any day....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
I think S6 will do well. Samsung had a bad 2014 & was still #2 in overall smartphone sales (basically a tie with Apple for #1). Their sales are still so far ahead of every Android manufacturer it's not even remotely close, that's with a bad 2014. S6 is certainly the more exciting & hyped Android flagship so far, M9 is offering almost no real big changes (I am proud owner of a M8 btw & a HTC fan)
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
HP_John wrote: I think S6 will do well. Samsung had a bad 2014 & was still #2 in overall smartphone sales (basically a tie with Apple for #1). Their sales are still so far ahead of every Android manufacturer it's not even remotely close, that's with a bad 2014.
The amount of different cell phones they make that is no surprise. Even Samsung themselves realized that they are making way too many different cell phones per year.
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/19450 ... neup-by-30
Steam: SpectralMeat
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I doubt Samsung will be the next Sony within 5 years... that guy is getting crazy...
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote: The amount of different cell phones they make that is no surprise. Even Samsung themselves realized that they are making way too many different cell phones per year.
http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/19450 ... neup-by-30
Even as someone who doesn't love Samsung, it's undeniable they are by far the most successful Android phone maker. Not only in sales but even their profits from smartphone sales, which in 2014 was considered a bad yr for them, far eclipses all the other Android phone makers COMBINED
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
HP_John wrote: Even as someone who doesn't love Samsung, it's undeniable they are by far the most successful Android phone maker. Not only in sales but even their profits from smartphone sales, which in 2014 was considered a bad yr for them, far eclipses all the other Android phone makers COMBINED
Not hard to beat the rest combined when the rest are bleeding red ink in losses.

But yes, far and away the most profitable and highest sales of Android vendors. They went from being a discount, bargain basement phone brand to being the largest in the world almost overnight, in truly spectacular fashion. Whether they flame out as quickly remains to be seen.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
LandKing wrote: Steve is just a moron that is full of himself without realizing he's not even an insect

Did you own one or are you merely echoing some of the bad news stories that you read on the net? I have one and I could not be happier with the purchase. It cost me $418 CD. Got it before the Canadian dollar went limp, can't blame currency translation impacts on one+. My purchase is cheaper than what it would cost for a 32 gig nexus 5 from google. I have a friend who traded up from a nexus 5 to a one+ and he could not be happier with the upgrade. Maybe there were some people who had bad luck with their one+. You will read a lot about it on the net as those who are happy with their purchase do not have the same level of passion to discuss their good news stories. It is unreasonable to expect the same response from a company that google can buy with an hour's worth of income. This is after all their first product. On balance, I have to say they have done okay. Obviously they can improve a ton, likely they will with their next release. I look forward to upgrading to a one+ two later in the year.

BTW, did you read about the terrible quality control on the nexus 7 2012 tablet when it first released? Because they didn't have stock, getting a replacement was not straightforward. I know because I was affected. These things happen, even to an established manufacturer like Asus.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
victorinoxs wrote: +1

I used to love CyanogenMod.....I first flashed CyanogenMod on my HTC Magic back in 2009, even donated to them a few times....fast forwarded to 2014, all flagship devices released in 2014 were very disappointing including the Nexus 6...so I ended up getting the OPO. I do like my OPO but the low quality touch screen and buggy software are really getting on my nerves. The latest 05Q system update is so buggy that I completely lost my faith in CM...... on the contrary, the Samsung Galaxy S6 seems amazing....I won't call OPO a piece of turd, but when compared to the new S6....it kind of feels like one......

p.s. I absolutely hate TouchWiz, but seriously, I will take a stable TouchWiz ROM over a buggy CM ROM any day....
Did you happen to get one that was manufactured early on? Mine was manufactured in Mid November. I have no screen issues. There was a bug in the 44S firmware that affected the proximity sensor. Disabling functions involving the proximity sensor as a workaround was effective. The CM12 firmware fixed everything. Because I wanted to run lollipop, I went with slimsaber right away. The software has been totally stable, even though it is only an alpha build. You might want to give it a look.

I too hate touchwiz and all other oem bloatware. I would prefer a buggy third party rom over an oem rom any day. If there are any issues with an oem rom, you know that it will remain for months or possibly forever. The next nightly usually cures major ills with third party roms.

BTW, it is hardly fair to compare the S6 which will cost 2x the price with a one+. A peer comparison would be with the iPhone 6.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Samsung is not going anywhere.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
will888 wrote: I wonder if this has anything to do with why everyone is raving about the S6. Hype works.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... xy-S6.html
Wow; a £45 million ($85 million CAD) marketing budget in Great Britain alone! I wonder what their worldwide marketing budget is for the S6? Of course; Samsung is no stranger to unleashing the cash to stir up business; in recent years their marketing budget has been bigger than than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft and Coca Cola’s combined (!). But all power to them; marketing is part of the game and it usually does pay.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Samsung is too big to be killed off easily. They will be knocked off stride, but they will survive nicely. But I do see some of the smaller brands being hurt by the Chinese phone invasion. And don't kid yourselves folks, it's coming! Just like the Japanese, and then the Koreans in the auto industry. Remember people dismissed them early on too. Unless the Big 3 revise their plan prices to again make phone subsidy relevant, I see more and more people exploring other alternatives to get their new devices, and the Chinese brands offer an affordable alternative for that. I just got my Elephone P3000s, and while the build quality isn't there yet, I'm impressed by the performance and feature-set. I'm on grandfathered plans that are no longer eligible for HUPs. With the Chinese brands, I don't have to settle for 2nd tier phones or pay outrageous no-term prices for premium devices (or watch for Rogers price errors! :lol: ). Right now the 3 biggest issues with Chinese phones are, the delivery process, the build quality, and limited models with North American 3G and particularly 4G/LTE frequencies. But those are fixable issues, once the Chinese recognizes North America as a lucrative market. I keep going back to the auto industry, but I see the Chinese phone manufacturers following the exact same formula. Just remember how everything dismissed the Japanese cars in the '70s as cheap, rust buckets that looked funny. I know Detroit did, until they got knocked on their complacent arse.
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
whistlepig wrote: Wow; a £45 million ($85 million CAD) marketing budget in Great Britain alone! I wonder what their worldwide marketing budget is for the S6? Of course; Samsung is no stranger to unleashing the cash to stir up business; in recent years their marketing budget has been bigger than than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft and Coca Cola’s combined (!). But all power to them; marketing is part of the game and it usually does pay.
You do know how big Samsung is right? From appliances to computers to electronics and finance etc..they aren't just a Mobile company
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
LandKing wrote: You do know how big Samsung is right? From appliances to computers to electronics and finance etc..they aren't just a Mobile company
I have had my eye on one of their LNG Carrier ships but the darn thing hasn't been on sale at Costco in a dog's age!

[IMG]http://worldmaritimenews.com/wp-content ... om-SHI.jpg[/IMG]

But the link regarding Samsung's marketing budget being bigger than than Apple, HP, Dell, Microsoft and Coca Cola’s combined is quoting just the marketing costs of their mobile device division, though I wouldn't be surprised to hear they spend plenty of additional dough selling those fancy refrigerators too. But like I said; good on 'em; you gotta spend money to make money!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
The post i was replying to made it seem like the only reason Samsung sells a lot of phones is due to releasing a lot of phone models. You dont become #1 android vendor due to simply releasing a lot of phones. S3 was a big hit for them at the right time, marketing, etc, there are lots of factors. Not just because they released many models of phones.

Heck, Samsung is still the #2 most profitable cell phone maker in the world, behind only Apple.
ceredon wrote: Not hard to beat the rest combined when the rest are bleeding red ink in losses.

But yes, far and away the most profitable and highest sales of Android vendors. They went from being a discount, bargain basement phone brand to being the largest in the world almost overnight, in truly spectacular fashion. Whether they flame out as quickly remains to be seen.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
HP_John wrote: The post i was replying to made it seem like the only reason Samsung sells a lot of phones is due to releasing a lot of phone models. You dont become #1 android vendor due to simply releasing a lot of phones. S3 was a big hit for them at the right time, marketing, etc, there are lots of factors. Not just because they released many models of phones.
Of course. But you can't deny that it does help having phones from budget to high end and everything in between to become the top dog.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
HP_John wrote: The post i was replying to made it seem like the only reason Samsung sells a lot of phones is due to releasing a lot of phone models. You dont become #1 android vendor due to simply releasing a lot of phones. S3 was a big hit for them at the right time, marketing, etc, there are lots of factors. Not just because they released many models of phones.

Heck, Samsung is still the #2 most profitable cell phone maker in the world, behind only Apple.
Breadth of selection helped to a degree. Their lowend filler phones helped in vaulting them to the high numbers of overall sales. Their high end devices helped pad their profits.

From their reports over the last year, it's their high end sales that have fallen. Overall unit sales are still high but profits have gone off a cliff. These new devices hope to reverse the high end slide.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
It seems like every time someone from Cyanogen speaks, I hate them even more (and this is coming from a OPO owner). Their vendetta against Google and now talking ***** about Samsung just wreaks of chest pounding from little kids against the adults. I'd bet my money on Cyanogen being nothing in 5 years than Samsung going anywhere.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)