Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 6, 2006
249 posts
2 upvotes

starting business plan - auto repair shop

Hey all.

Can anyone point me to any links or resources to gather information and statistics to help with my business plan.

Very early in my planning, so I am still thinking about the viability of my idea.

I would like to open an auto repair shop and want to know about operating and start up information and competition and pricing information, etc.

any one know of anyone that has started up a similar business that can share ideas?
15 replies
Dec 9, 2007
130 posts
8 upvotes
Really tough row to hoe nowadays.

Independent garages are going the way of the dinosaur.

The complexity and technology of todays cars is very high and this means scanning equipment are crazy expensive, rents and other overhead are high This means start up costs are high.

The oil change franchises do quite well though.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4200 posts
58 upvotes
Winnipeg
Did you do your marketing research for this business yet? Are you sure that there is a market for it?

Your start up costs for opening is going to be redicilous... Labour is going to kill you if you do not get enough customers.

here's a link to help you out a bit..
http://valuationresources.com/Reports/S ... yShops.htm
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr

Top Tier Imports
Jul 1, 2005
323 posts
31 upvotes
Robmic wrote:
Apr 8th, 2008 12:01 pm

Not true. Independents have over 70% market share in the auto repair market - and growing.
Dec 9, 2007
130 posts
8 upvotes
Sybersport wrote:
Apr 16th, 2008 12:58 pm
Not true. Independents have over 70% market share in the auto repair market - and growing.
Reliable source pls?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
2197 posts
147 upvotes
I have a 2 friends who partnered up and opened a auto repair shop.
Best money is from auto body repair, you just need to have connection/communication with dealers & do a good job. The machine and everything else aren't really that expensive.
Of course you can do oil change and other repairs on the side but that should be a good place to start.
ǝƃɐssǝɯ ǝɥʇ sı ɯnıpǝɯ ǝɥʇ
◉◉◉◉◉ITEMS I FS/WTB/SOLD/TRADED/BOUGHT◉◉◉◉◉
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=332203
Oct 27, 2007
211 posts
toronto
Body shop do make money, but body shop and auto shop are two different markets.

Auto shop it all depends on your area and clientel, and remember that maintenance is where the money is at. The performance market used to be huge but its died down tons and youll make alot more doing a few brake jobs than one engine swap anyday of the week.

Startup cost is alot for an autoshop, espcially if you want to cover most of the areas and not just be able to do mechanical works of it. oil change and such does not make money, thats only to bring customers in to the shop.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1357 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Check out Jobber News and SSGM for industry data on the various markets you are considering. Also look for stuff by DesRosiers on the automotive aftermarket. Finally, there are magazines like Bodyshop that have useful info.

IMHO, there are high barriers to entry if you want to go it alone. Think about liability insurance, ongoing training and equipment startup costs.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
4743 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Costs:
- Lease : $1000 - $3000+

- Equipment: You can lease a shope with equipment already there. If not, buy used certified stuff. Essentially the main cost is "hoist". ~$10,000 for a good used one

- Mechanic: Are you hiring mechanics? Working yourself? You can pay them "per job". So each job they do, they get % of the profit

Location and Marketing should be your biggest concerns.

If you are serious about opening, PM me. I can direct you to different techniques of lowering monthly (running) cost 30% - 50%
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4111 posts
521 upvotes
Just throwing some resources out there ...

D/l a P2P program like eMule and Search 'Business Plan'. There are a lot of eBooks on the subject that can help you with writing one up.

Also - Palo Alto Business Plan Pro 2007 Software

Hope that helps.
Jun 17, 2010
56 posts
1 upvote
van
Robmic wrote:
Apr 8th, 2008 12:01 pm

The complexity and technology of todays cars is very high and this means scanning equipment are crazy expensive, rents and other overhead are high This means start up costs are high.

The oil change franchises do quite well though.
Independents shops are not going away anytime soon.... oil change franchises just plain suck and dealerships charge way too much
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
3774 posts
45 upvotes
devilmaycry wrote:
Aug 27th, 2010 2:54 am
An auto repair shop service professionally cleans, washes and waxes the interior and exterior of cars, RVs and even truck. There is no shortage of vehicles but detailing can be labor-intensive, so make sure you enjoy cars before you start this type of automotive business.
Ahh building backlinks for your website? :o
× < >