• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2018 4:22 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
89 posts
Toronto

Starting an event management business.

Thanks for reading my post.

My brother is part of an organization and their line of business holds a monthly gathering on weekends throughout the year and most of the visitors visit from outside Canada and often from other provinces too.

He is recommending me to set up a sightseeing program in and around of GTA such as sailing in Toronto Lake, toronto aerial tour by helicopter offered by the Downtown airport also fly (local toronto airline that operates from Toronto city Airport) or drive (coach bus engaged through operators) to Niagara and skiing related trips for the group in winter. His company will compensate us for the services we charge as per the negotiations.

This is mostly a weekend affair only. We both are in our full time jobs.

Do I need any special registration to start such business. ? Transportation of the passengers would be through different operators who are already doing registered transportation business like the Toronto Sailclub rentals, Toronto BillyBishop airport based helicopter company. I will do the bulk booking through our company name or at least blocks the seats. At the time of Sailing / flying can get the individuals to sign the operator's ticket / documents.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4653 posts
735 upvotes
Thornhill
jay_jay wrote:
May 8th, 2018 10:36 am

This is mostly a weekend affair only. We both are in our full time jobs.

Do I need any special registration to start such business. ?
With one question present, the answer is no. It seems you are just going to be the middle man. Or you can register HST number so you can charge HST and then get some business insurance to avoid any lawsuits from those out of Canada clients of yours.
This is a lot of work. It would be just easier to set up a deal with a company that already offers all of this( there are 100s) and get a cut from them. Then you don't need any of that above.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
89 posts
Toronto
Thank you so much..

As mentioned, I wish to do this with a family friend so that makes up 4 people working together on this part time venture.
My hope is, we could expand it a bit more some how for weekends which are free as there will be more people to manage the activity.

I completely agree with the insurance part but one of my question would be, shouldn't the carrier have to have the insurance to compensate in the event of any mishap.
If its the boating company that is actually boarding the passenger, their insurance should cover and our insurance should only cover what the clients paid (schedule issue etc., )..

dazz wrote:
May 9th, 2018 1:59 pm
With one question present, the answer is no. It seems you are just going to be the middle man. Or you can register HST number so you can charge HST and then get some business insurance to avoid any lawsuits from those out of Canada clients of yours.
This is a lot of work. It would be just easier to set up a deal with a company that already offers all of this( there are 100s) and get a cut from them. Then you don't need any of that above.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)