Home & Garden

Starting a home plumbing kit. Where to buy supplies?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2019 2:01 pm
Nov 10, 2015
386 posts
400 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

Starting a home plumbing kit. Where to buy supplies?

Hi guys,

Wanted to start a little home plumbing kit with basic copper fittings and soldering stuff etc. Is it cheaper to get the propack containers from homedepot or should i go to a supplier such as noble? Ive always boughten one or two pieces at a time but id like to have a small container of each in case of emergencies and to do small plumbing fixes for friends/family. Suppliers normally dont advertise prices but a box of 25 1/2" copper elbows was roughly $20 from HD.

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Stick to box stores. Suppliers such as Noble, Next, Wolseley etc. cater to trade accounts that buy in volume and their discounts are based on just that. Items sold are based of “list price” and the discounts given to trade accounts are off “list prices” and the item you’re buying. Discount will be larger for commonly used items such as fittings and discount will be less for things such as fixtures. If you know anything about list prices you will know that they are overly inflated.
Often times I notice that certain things are cheaper at HD anyway.
A 1/2 copper 90 is 54 cents at Wolseley after my trade discount

Homeowners or what they call “cash accounts” who attempt to purchase will typically be charged based off of list price, unless the store manager authorizes some sort of discount, which can happen but seldom does
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
Just buy 4 or 5 of each common fitting, doubt you'll need a pack of 20 for emergency use
Nov 10, 2015
386 posts
400 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Red_Army wrote: Stick to box stores. Suppliers such as Noble, Next, Wolseley etc. cater to trade accounts that buy in volume and their discounts are based on just that. Items sold are based of “list price” and the discounts given to trade accounts are off “list prices” and the item you’re buying. Discount will be larger for commonly used items such as fittings and discount will be less for things such as fixtures. If you know anything about list prices you will know that they are overly inflated.
Often times I notice that certain things are cheaper at HD anyway.
A 1/2 copper 90 is 54 cents at Wolseley after my trade discount

Homeowners or what they call “cash accounts” who attempt to purchase will typically be charged based off of list price, unless the store manager authorizes some sort of discount, which can happen but seldom does

Thanks for the tips, good points!!
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
71 upvotes
People still use copper fittings? Copper joints last 100 yrs so you can't be very busy.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Carcross wrote: People still use copper fittings? Copper joints last 100 yrs so you can't be very busy.
Actually for my own home, I only use copper and soldered joints.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Buy some of those SharkBite end stops. 1/2" and 3"4.

It'll save you from having to leave the water off to your entire house while you figure out the problem and fix it.
Let's hug it out
Nov 10, 2015
386 posts
400 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Carcross wrote: People still use copper fittings? Copper joints last 100 yrs so you can't be very busy.
t3359 wrote: Actually for my own home, I only use copper and soldered joints.

bjl
Same here, I am not going to replumb the entire house with PEX so there is already copper might as well just continue using it. I also enjoy soldering lol, very relaxing to me.
Nov 10, 2015
386 posts
400 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
RCGA wrote: Buy some of those SharkBite end stops. 1/2" and 3"4.

It'll save you from having to leave the water off to your entire house while you figure out the problem and fix it.
Very true. I always have those in my bag for emergencies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
kammj1 wrote: Same here, I am not going to replumb the entire house with PEX so there is already copper might as well just continue using it. I also enjoy soldering lol, very relaxing to me.
You enjoy the flux fumes like me, eh? :)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Sep 12, 2017
193 posts
139 upvotes
Try www.pexhouse.com they have some killer prices on plumbing parts. A lot of their ABS fittings (ie. 1.5" elbows) are 1/4 of the price of a big box store.

CHM.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Go get a Map gas torch though. Holy crap what a difference when I got mine for DIY use.