Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1757 posts
1143 upvotes
Vancouver

Starting an ISP

I'm thinking about offering DSL service to my business clients. I'm just starting to do the research for it now.

Does anyone have any experience with reselling Bell Nexxia services?
http://www.wholesale.bell.ca/products/dsl.htm

1) Who handles the user authentication? Bell Nexxia or your servers?

2) Who do you use for your automated monthly billing of customers?

All of my business clients currently buy high speed internet access from Bell, Primus, Rogers, Videotron, etc. so I have an established client base already.

I don't want to be an affiliate of some other ISP. I want to offer my own branded ISP.

If there is anyone on RFD that has experience with this, please let me know. Thanks.
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
I never knew they offered this kind of service. It's pretty interesting though.

1) I think Bell would have to answer that question for you.

2) You could probably use any kind of billing solution to bill the customers monthly, I guess you would need one that would create invoices for you early enough to mail them out, there might also be a solution that will allow you to mail and email the invoice to the customer. The few I know about are www.modernbill.com (it's geared towards webhosting and ISP billing), www.clientexec.com (I believe it's a support and billing solution).

What kind of services do you offer in the Ottawa area?

Go Sens GO! :)
Oct 18, 2001
710 posts
120 upvotes
Brampton
So is this just reselling the bell line, or you going to have to setup a server farm? Whats the wholeprice from bell?
Deal Addict
May 27, 2003
1344 posts
54 upvotes
kennyt18 wrote: I'm thinking about offering DSL service to my business clients. I'm just starting to do the research for it now.

Does anyone have any experience with reselling Bell Nexxia services?
http://www.wholesale.bell.ca/products/dsl.htm

1) Who handles the user authentication? Bell Nexxia or your servers?

2) Who do you use for your automated monthly billing of customers?

All of my business clients currently buy high speed internet access from Bell, Primus, Rogers, Videotron, etc. so I have an established client base already.

I don't want to be an affiliate of some other ISP. I want to offer my own branded ISP.

If there is anyone on RFD that has experience with this, please let me know. Thanks.
I can answer #1 for you as I know somebody who owns a company that used to provide DSL service. In his setup his service provided PPPoE authentication. Nexxia only provides the DSLAM access. Maybe you can pay them to provide the PPPoE authentication, but I doubt it, or it might not be worthwhile....