Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Starting my own Shipping company. Need some help.

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2019 4:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
5308 posts
27442 upvotes

Starting my own Shipping company. Need some help.

Hello RFDers.

I am starting my own shipping company. Mainly from Canada to China (arrive in 4-5 biz days).
I am in Vancouver BC. Currently most 3rd party shippers take 3-4 weeks to arrive in China so I am the only one that can do 4-5 biz days to arrive.

Does anyone know where I can buy cheap shipping tapes?
Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-Hot ... e15c8bf4c2

How about cheaper shipping boxes?

I tried talking to Uline but they will not give me a special deal.
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Feb 7th, 2019 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
29 replies
Member
User avatar
Dec 28, 2010
457 posts
180 upvotes
What can you ship in 3-4 biz days? Jiffy bags or big parcels?

(If you don't mind me saying so, you claim a quicker shipping time but have a hard time finding tape...)
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
4927 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 3:23 pm
What can you ship in 3-4 biz days? Jiffy bags or big parcels?

(If you don't mind me saying so, you claim a quicker shipping time but have a hard time finding tape...)
Not hard time finding tape but Op's is looking for cheaper tape (that is what is what a business supposed to do right? in order to survive).
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
5308 posts
27442 upvotes
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 3:23 pm
What can you ship in 3-4 biz days? Jiffy bags or big parcels?

(If you don't mind me saying so, you claim a quicker shipping time but have a hard time finding tape...)
Small and big parcels. Looking for cheaper ones since I need to wrap it a few times.
Sr. Member
May 9, 2006
639 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
Thatdealguy wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 3:53 pm
Yes, trying to cut my cost as low as possible.
the link you put in is from AliExpress, I am sure you need quantity so why not try Alibaba? if you think AliExpress quality is good then I am not sure you will find anything cheaper than that.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
5308 posts
27442 upvotes
djjungly wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 3:58 pm
the link you put in is from AliExpress, I am sure you need quantity so why not try Alibaba? if you think AliExpress quality is good then I am not sure you will find anything cheaper than that.
Price is $0.47 USD per roll
Shipping is around $3 USD per roll

It costs $10 (on sale at costco) for 6 rolls of clear tape (Scotch brand)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7399 posts
4839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 3:23 pm
What can you ship in 3-4 biz days? Jiffy bags or big parcels?

(If you don't mind me saying so, you claim a quicker shipping time but have a hard time finding tape...)
Ya... sorry OP

But the mark of a company that is headed for success is one that does a lot of their reasearch and planning upfront LONG BEFORE they even announce to anyone that they are starting a Co

It’s all part of conducting a proper Business Plan.

Makes me wonder if you’ve even done one of those... or just have decided “Hey I got a great idea for a biz” and have decided to run with it

Truth is ... owning & running a biz is hard.
Most fail.
If you don’t put in the time upfront, you end up putting in way to much time & money later
Could easily bankrupt you ... and then some

ADD - I don’t mean to rain on your parade (cuz starting a biz is admirable)
Just stating the facts
But it sounds like you are asking for someone to hand you an umbrella
When ya should have checked out the forecast beforehand
And come prepared
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
5308 posts
27442 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 4:12 pm
Ya... sorry OP

But the mark of a company that is headed for success is one that does a lot of their reasearch and planning upfront LONG BEFORE they even announce to anyone that they are starting a Co

It’s all part of conducting a proper Business Plan.

Makes me wonder if you’ve even done one of those... or just have decided “Hey I got a great idea for a biz” and have decided to run with it

Truth is ... owning & running a biz is hard.
Most fail.
If you don’t put in the time upfront, you end up putting in way to much time & money later
Could easily bankrupt you ... and then some

ADD - I don’t mean to rain on your parade (cuz starting a biz is admirable)
Just stating the facts
But it sounds like you are asking for someone to hand you an umbrella
When ya should have checked out the forecast beforehand
And come prepared
Yes, you are right. Have been planning for a while now but just want to see if anyone on RFDERS know where to get cheaper boxes/tapes.
Then I don't have to pass on the charges to the customers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9476 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
Thatdealguy wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 4:56 pm
Yes, you are right. Have been planning for a while now but just want to see if anyone on RFDERS know where to get cheaper boxes/tapes.
Then I don't have to pass on the charges to the customers.
One company I know of for packaging materials is ULine but not sure what their prices are.

I would love to hear how you can shorten shipping times down significantly for a price consumers are willing to pay while still paying yourself at the end of the day.

Also if your ordering from China based websites, what are you going to do if there are major delays in shipping to you and you run out of supplies, this will decrease your profits likely to the point where you will have no choice but to pass on increasing costs to the customer, possibly resulting in consumers taking the option of other courier companies, which would result in those same consumers not likely being repeat customers to you because they're likely to assume that you will still be too expensive.

I would definitely put more time and thought into if this is a good idea or not. Because asking about a simple supply like packaging materials leads myself and others here to believe that you just up and thought 'hey why don't I start a shipping company'
Member
Nov 4, 2011
495 posts
295 upvotes
YYZ
Try seeing if you can get a deal from an office supply company (EWay, Grand & Toy, Novexco). I know my old company was buying the 6 packs of Staples Heavy Duty Storage Tape for more than half off, I want to say it was closer to 75% off, but I haven't seen the pricing for a long time.

ULine is the most expensive of the companies we ordered from, quality and speed was there, but they'll kill you with shipping charges.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
5308 posts
27442 upvotes
zappy312 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 8:38 am
Try seeing if you can get a deal from an office supply company (EWay, Grand & Toy, Novexco). I know my old company was buying the 6 packs of Staples Heavy Duty Storage Tape for more than half off, I want to say it was closer to 75% off, but I haven't seen the pricing for a long time.

ULine is the most expensive of the companies we ordered from, quality and speed was there, but they'll kill you with shipping charges.
Thank you. Uline did mention about shipping from US.
Member
Nov 4, 2011
495 posts
295 upvotes
YYZ
Thatdealguy wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 12:13 am
Thank you. Uline did mention about shipping from US.

Most ULine stuff we ordered came from a warehouse in Milton but I assume it was previously imported from the US. They do have other shipping options which should be cheaper, such as will call.
Member
Sep 24, 2004
484 posts
94 upvotes
Scarborough
Thatdealguy wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 4:06 pm
Price is $0.47 USD per roll
Shipping is around $3 USD per roll

It costs $10 (on sale at costco) for 6 rolls of clear tape (Scotch brand)
I recently bought this from the Costco Business Centre in Toronto, it was a 8 pack for $10 on sale. I think the usual price is around $12/13
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15350 posts
5624 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 12:33 am
One company I know of for packaging materials is ULine but not sure what their prices are.

I would love to hear how you can shorten shipping times down significantly for a price consumers are willing to pay while still paying yourself at the end of the day.

Also if your ordering from China based websites, what are you going to do if there are major delays in shipping to you and you run out of supplies, this will decrease your profits likely to the point where you will have no choice but to pass on increasing costs to the customer, possibly resulting in consumers taking the option of other courier companies, which would result in those same consumers not likely being repeat customers to you because they're likely to assume that you will still be too expensive.

I would definitely put more time and thought into if this is a good idea or not. Because asking about a simple supply like packaging materials leads myself and others here to believe that you just up and thought 'hey why don't I start a shipping company'
The OP is already in the business of reselling Canadian items to Chinese customers so I think they are quite a bit further ahead than you give them credit for.

Top