• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2013 1:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2732 posts
166 upvotes
There is a big difference between working for a web startup (i.e a facebook or mobile app company etc.) and a small business (in any industry) with $1 - $5 million in revenues that has been around for 5+ years.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20700 posts
1298 upvotes
Aurora
Consider your age and responsibility in life. If you are still young, with little or no expenses, a startup can be very rewarding.

But if you have a mortgage and a family, you owe it to yourself and them some stability.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 5:06 pm
Consider your age and responsibility in life. If you are still young, with little or no expenses, a startup can be very rewarding.

But if you have a mortgage and a family, you owe it to yourself and them some stability.
+1

Your younger days are by far the best opportunity to get involved in something with a bit more risk to it. Within a few years of finishing school would probably be your best opportunity, since you will also have stronger connections to people you went to school with who are likely your best source of people who you can work with on startups.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Abel4Life wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 5:01 pm
There is a big difference between working for a web startup (i.e a facebook or mobile app company etc.) and a small business (in any industry) with $1 - $5 million in revenues that has been around for 5+ years.
and where would you categorize non-web tech start ups? ... start ups don't have to be web-based.

OP - most things are already covered here - I've worked with both, and even after few years off graduation, I am still a lot more fascinated with start up companies (or even smaller companies) compare to big, established ones because of the amount of responsibilities that you can get. There are things that you can learn from big companies (things like processes, organization, etc), but when you are young, start up / small companies tend to be more rewarding. You obviously have to take a guess whether the people at the start up / small company are good people to work with though
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2219 posts
496 upvotes
damnos wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 7:08 am
and where would you categorize non-web tech start ups? ... start ups don't have to be web-based.

OP - most things are already covered here - I've worked with both, and even after few years off graduation, I am still a lot more fascinated with start up companies (or even smaller companies) compare to big, established ones because of the amount of responsibilities that you can get. There are things that you can learn from big companies (things like processes, organization, etc), but when you are young, start up / small companies tend to be more rewarding. You obviously have to take a guess whether the people at the start up / small company are good people to work with though
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=startup
× < >