State of Physiotherapy career?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2018 11:48 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2017
121 posts
75 upvotes

State of Physiotherapy career?

My close relative is finishing up Bachelors and is currently looking for Physiotherapy school. Based on my research, the field is very saturated and full time work is scarce, working in multiple clinics is a must to accumulate for full time employment.
Also, I was told the Physio school is very competitive, which is odd since the pay isn't that high anyways.

Hoping that any physiotherapist on boards can relate on the state of physiotherapy, is it worth it these day?

Appreciate the honesty.
6 replies
May 19, 2015
573 posts
186 upvotes
It's competitive because people who don't get into med school straight away do PT as a buffer to gain experience in health care. But because of that the entering average GPA, experiences etc is much higher than you would expect because these kids are gunning for med. Not all students but a good chunk of applicants at least. In school I can only speculate that it's competitive also because you want to get the best rotations so you can get a job afterwards.

That being said, there are PT jobs if you wanted to work in hospital but they wouldn't be full time or permanent. It would take a few years (plus good connections/networking/having worked at the hospital before) to get a stable job. The alternative is to work for yourself and open your own clinic and feed off people with benefits/insurance companies.

it's doable but yes PT is over-saturated
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jun 25, 2013
24 posts
12 upvotes
MARKHAM
Physical therapy is an eligible profession under the TN 1 Visa.

So you can work in the States if that's an option.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1699 posts
515 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Ever notice that you never see an old physiotherapist. I don't know what happens to them, but seldom see one over fifty.
Diversity is Our Burden
Jul 19, 2004
707 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
To be honest, is there a profession that isn't "saturated"? What's more important is if your relative is actually going to be any good at being a physio. The physio I go to is really good and no surprise, he is busy every single day with more customers than he can handle.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2017
121 posts
75 upvotes
I am just trying to grasp a bigger picture, as doing what you love must split well with financial aspects! I figured that salaries start at 50k and cap at 90k, but large majority are within 70k range.
It's definitely a good job, but it's downing why its so competitive for such mediocre salary. Also, it's a physically demanding job and less mentally demanding, say if you are software engineer! So yeah, no wonder not too many are involved into their 60's... it's mostly young crowd 30-50's

Maybe I am wrong, but I think the profession is very dependent on insurance coverage.

Just some doubts.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6394 posts
3549 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 7:06 pm
Ever notice that you never see an old physiotherapist. I don't know what happens to them, but seldom see one over fifty.
make the big bucks and move to mexico

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)