[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3872 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto

Station-wagon-like cars with great visibility

Hi auto experts,

We drive a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring (Hyundai's station wagon-like car discontinued after that model year). We are looking ahead to what our next car purchase might be.

We love the form factor of the Elantra Touring -- compact but with lots of level trunk space, easy to load and unload -- and also the great visibility out the sides and back. I am tall and my partner is short, and we both found that this model had the best visibility (through the rear and side windows) of several that we tried when we were last car-shopping.

What is on the market these days that has a similar form-factor (not a big SUV), with great visibility (i.e. large vertical windows)? The Mazda 5 perhaps comes to mind... Bonus points if there is something that meets those requirements in the hybrid world, as we are considering that option as well.
49 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17760 posts
2927 upvotes
Toronto
Subaru Forester, Audi Allroad, Volvo XC40/XC60. All may be too SUV-like for you though, as they've all moved away from 'wagon' and closer to 'SUV' in recent years.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
12224 posts
6493 upvotes
Toronto
Outback.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2445 posts
2296 upvotes
Calgary
Subaru Outback. It's a mid-sizer but not difficult to drive at all. As as per a typical Subaru, visibility is fantastic. Lots of room for a family of four.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12739 posts
9117 upvotes
Richmond Hill
VW All-track, C43 wagon...but don't forget the Corolla hatchback which is a great replacement to the Elantra.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11802 posts
5325 upvotes
Toronto
Volvo V60 or V60 Cross Country
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12412 posts
2930 upvotes
RFD
JHW wrote:
May 24th, 2019 2:20 pm
Hi auto experts,

We drive a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring (Hyundai's station wagon-like car discontinued after that model year). We are looking ahead to what our next car purchase might be.

We love the form factor of the Elantra Touring -- compact but with lots of level trunk space, easy to load and unload -- and also the great visibility out the sides and back. I am tall and my partner is short, and we both found that this model had the best visibility (through the rear and side windows) of several that we tried when we were last car-shopping.

What is on the market these days that has a similar form-factor (not a big SUV), with great visibility (i.e. large vertical windows)? The Mazda 5 perhaps comes to mind... Bonus points if there is something that meets those requirements in the hybrid world, as we are considering that option as well.
I like wagon's too. It's a shame that wagons don't sell in North America like they do in Europe. If the 2019 Toyota Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid were here I'd buy one. Look at the cargo space.

Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12739 posts
9117 upvotes
Richmond Hill
radeonboy wrote:
May 24th, 2019 3:09 pm
I like wagon's too. It's a shame that wagons don't sell in North America like they do in Europe. If the 2019 Toyota Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid were here I'd buy one. Look at the cargo space.
Looks similar to the all-track. Best part about all-track is that it comes in 6spd! Seriously thinking about getting one to replace the X3 heap.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3732 posts
2367 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3869 posts
1620 upvotes
Vancouver
Man, I would kill for an RS4 wagon here in Canada.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12739 posts
9117 upvotes
Richmond Hill
notenoughsleep wrote:
May 24th, 2019 4:02 pm
Man, I would kill for an RS4 wagon here in Canada.
Oh hell yes!!!
Dec 14, 2007
889 posts
305 upvotes
Glad to see some love for station wagons.