• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2019 6:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4585 posts
3082 upvotes
Toronto
Tceight wrote: Thanks rob444,
for pointing out that it isn't what a company can get away with doing, but how it chooses to apply the stated discretion that matters most.
So you're saying QTrade has never enforced that policy onto any of their customers before, and never intends to?? Just because you haven't read a post from someone on RFD about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I don't think they have the same popularity or are as well known as Questrade, so far fewer posts and comments (negative or positive) on them.

Although I do disagree with the way Questrade handled this particular case.
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
dobong8483 wrote: I am not sure if this is for right thread!

Would you guys recommend Questrade for ETF trading (RRSP)?

I would like to invest $50000 rrsp with couch potato investment.
Hi dobong8483,

We’re glad to hear you’re considering Questrade! If you have any questions about investing with us, please let us know.
Aug 7, 2016
238 posts
177 upvotes
rob444 wrote: So you're saying QTrade has never enforced that policy onto any of their customers before, and never intends to?? Just because you haven't read a post from someone on RFD about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I don't think they have the same popularity or are as well known as Questrade, so far fewer posts and comments (negative or positive) on them.

Although I do disagree with the way Questrade handled this particular case.
nope, I'm not saying that any more than you are saying that all companies enforce all policies at all times.
I'm not speculating as to what a company might do, but sharing what this one did do factually. ( I do not want to make myself liable for libel charges)

As you say above, posts both positive and negative come from peoples experiences. And the bigger the company the more comments they will get both positive and negative.
Social media/forums are a powerful tool consumers now wield that can affect company policies, even change entire industries.
For example, United airlines is not the only airline that has ever removed passengers involuntarily.
Aug 20, 2011
3 posts
Just a little warning regarding Scotia_iTRADE.
They charged me $9.99 commission to buy 18,000 shares of a stock and then when I sold the same 18,000 shares a few months later they charged me $540 in commission.
Apparently I only had a few months at a "special" rate. Missed the fine print that said they would increase my fees by 54 times.
I sent two emails to 'mail.president@scotiabank.com'. They ignored both.
I moved everything to TD WebBroker. Been satisfied with them.
Aug 7, 2016
238 posts
177 upvotes
vandenp wrote: Just a little warning regarding Scotia_iTRADE.
They charged me $9.99 commission to buy 18,000 shares of a stock and then when I sold the same 18,000 shares a few months later they charged me $540 in commission.
Apparently I only had a few months at a "special" rate. Missed the fine print that said they would increase my fees by 54 times.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

What was in the fine print, and what tactics were used?

To make future searches by others easier, perhaps start a Scotia itrade thread with the particulars of your experience?
Include both the circumstances and how they acknowledged, and followed up with a resolution for their valued customer.
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
You're definitely going to need to support this post with more info. It doesn't make any sense.

Here are the fees for iTrade.
http://www.scotiabank.com/itrade/en/0,,3693,00.html

Edit: Oh, I see. You got charged for 17,000 shares at 3 cents/share. You obviously didn't satisfy the minimum balance rules. Only the first 1000 shares qualify for the stated fee after that its 3 cents per share, when you only qualify for the highest tier at $24.99 per trade. Questrade will also nail you by share at that level.
Sep 15, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
I have RRSP and TFSA with Questrade since 2012. And I am perfectly happy with them.

I haven't try taking my money out just yet. Since this is for retirement. But one way I am thinking that could simplify the process is to sell all your securities. Make a transfer in cash to your institution where your personal account resides. But into a similar account such as RRSP. And then take your money out of your RRSP as you need it.

I think I will do that in chunks as I need the money

For interest on US based security. I don't borrow so I do not pay interest. And Questrade allow me to keep US and CAD balance in my account. So conversion are minimal

Good luck
Apr 22, 2017
16 posts
bewiseman wrote: Only the first 1000 shares qualify for the stated fee after that its 3 cents per share, when you only qualify for the highest tier at $24.99 per trade. Questrade will also nail you by share at that level.
Is that accurate? I thought QT didn't have a threshhold - it was a max of $4.95, 1 cent per share
Banned
Jul 18, 2016
2014 posts
786 upvotes
newinvestor wrote: Is that accurate? I thought QT didn't have a threshhold - it was a max of $4.95, 1 cent per share
I was responding to a poster who was complaining about iTrade. iTrade does charge 3 cents a share above 1000 shares if you're in the lowest tier. If I remember correctly, Questrade does charge by share in certain circumstances. Trying to recall how that worked.

Edit:

https://www.questrade.com/pricing/self- ... ommissions
I think this fee structure has been modified since I last looked. Its looking a bit more attractive to me now.
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
shigazaru wrote: I have RRSP and TFSA with Questrade since 2012. And I am perfectly happy with them.

I haven't try taking my money out just yet. Since this is for retirement. But one way I am thinking that could simplify the process is to sell all your securities. Make a transfer in cash to your institution where your personal account resides. But into a similar account such as RRSP. And then take your money out of your RRSP as you need it.

I think I will do that in chunks as I need the money

For interest on US based security. I don't borrow so I do not pay interest. And Questrade allow me to keep US and CAD balance in my account. So conversion are minimal

Good luck
Hi shigazaru,

Thank you for your positive feedback! If you ever need assistance with anything, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help.
Oct 29, 2010
25 posts
Mississauga
What is going on with Questrade system is down I can't login.
Aug 26, 2014
131 posts
55 upvotes
Markham, ON
Does it mean that if you want to place a market order today Friday, it won't fulfill until after Monday closing? (edit: if their systems are up and running by Monday), I guess this is one of the reasons to stick with the Big 5.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1582 upvotes
Montreal
Markets were quite volatile today but I was only able to log in once on several attempts.

You get what you pay for I guess.
Oct 25, 2007
309 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Questrade needs to comp us 25 free trades for yesterday's debacle.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2503 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
Questrade was pretty good, but I ended up leaving for a few reasons:
1) When trading it became complicated when trying to know if I was being quoted the Real time price or not, some pages are giving 15 min delay, even when trading... not acceptable.
2) I had to deposit share certificates to put them into acct for trading. I phoned to inquired on the cost. They said it was free.
IT WAS NOT FREE, they ended up charging $340. Which basically blows out everything I had saved by using Questrade over the years.
(Most other institutions this is free)

I called to get this reimbursed and had to fight with them for a month and only got partial credit.
After seeing how they treat their customers in these situations and in light of the points above, I left them.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2240 posts
669 upvotes
Mississauga
concur. Stay away from Questrade. This past Friday's outage was a big blow to my confinance.
Looking to move 3 of my accounts now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
you probably signed 10 dotted lines or clicked "I agree" that many times, read the full agreement, especially the fee structure next time... not sure why this is iTrade's fault.
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sooo I received my June dividends for VUN/VEE/VIU in my margin account, but have yet to receive any in my TFSA/RRSP (even though I have the same securities in there). Has anyone else noticed/experienced this?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3963 posts
4723 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do you have DRIP Off in your margin and On in registered accounts? The dividends with DRIP usually show up a day later than non-DRIP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)